Fishing for crappie black/white

K
kenjimua
hey everyone!! im new to this forum soo be easy on my =3....and umm i need to find a place that has a good hot spot for black crappy or atleast catch like 5 =3....its me and my dad only(im 18 btw) .....i herd the east salish pond has black crappie and the west as well but then i have never caught any in the west pond but then i caught a babe black crappy in the east...mind telling me any spots??=3...willig to travel to portland downtown or yeah! i just needs spots for my dad to fish at when i can't go with him THANKS EVERY ONE!!!

M
Markcanby
Hey man I plan to try Mission Creek Res in ST Paul I hear from members that there are some in there. Also what you using for bait? I hear people talk about using worms I grew up in the south "crappie heaven" an we would never use worms. Tiny jigs under a bobber was always teh best way to go.

K
kenjimua
ummmm my dad and i use jigs for fishing for crappies and the crappie nibblers but then i read the forums saying that they use worm under a bobber and i have never tried that b4 i only done it with out a bobber.....and i guesss worms works for crappie too i was suprise that i caught a babie black crappie at east salish pond when i was using worms...thought they only bite in jogs and lures....

Z
zarboth
a lot of the time the best bait is minnows;) because it is in there natrual envierment

troutdude
troutdude
I've never known about the Mission St. Reservoir, until now. Thank you!

Here is a link:

Map of Saint Paul, Oregon by MapQuest

I'd like to try it too. Maybe go float tubing.

Fishing in Oregon (Casali & Diness) says it is 130 acres, with good populations of bass and pan fish (bluegill to 8"). The lake follows River Road NE (which turns into Main street in St. Paul), but there is limited parking along the road. Most bank access is on the south end in town. And after June, you'll need a boat to get into fish able waters due to weed growth.

I fished for crappie a lot on the Long Tom River, some 30 years ago. (15 - 20 miles south of Corvallis). We used bobbers and jigs for crappie. We only used worms if we wanted to catch bluegill. The crappie (at least in that river) didn't want worms.

Good luck.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
zarboth said:
a lot of the time the best bait is minnows;) because it is in there natrual envierment

:naughty: Not in Oregon it's not. Illegal in this state.

troutdude
troutdude
That's right. It is ILLEGAL to use "bait fish", to catch other fish in our state. So, DON'T use bait fish in Oregon!!!

Knot heads that have used bait fish in Oregon, have ruined some great fishing spots--due to their ignorance of the laws!!!

T
the_intimidator03
slight correction on the statement of being illegal to use baitfish in our state. It is illegal to use LIVE bait fish in our state It is also illegal to use goldfish alive OR dead as bait, However in the bay's and ocean you MAY use dead or alive fish for bait as long as it was caught from that area.

M
Moe
Is it still illegal if you caught the minnows in the lake you are fishing?

B
beaverfan
Yes

troutdude
troutdude
Read the reg's guys. Live bait is HIGHLY RESTRICTED!

The use of live minnows, is what has nearly destroyed the awesome trout fishery in Diamond Lake...not once but twice!

T
the_intimidator03
I do know walmart packages of dead shiners are legal LOL they are dead Basically to keep it simple... if your fishing bays and ocean... live fish for bait is alright if your fishing fresh water keep it dead

X
X24
Oregon has some of the most ridiculous rules. The rule book is full of rules that contradict themselves. Because the state is so caught up in Salmon and trout they make it hard to fish for any other species and treat pretty much every species as a "Trash" fish. The use of minnows should be allowed esp if you catch them in the body of water your fishing.

Example of contradicting rules
5.Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody in which they were taken.

B
beaverfan
X24 said:
Oregon has some of the most ridiculous rules. The rule book is full of rules that contradict themselves. Because the state is so caught up in Salmon and trout they make it hard to fish for any other species and treat pretty much every species as a "Trash" fish. The use of minnows should be allowed esp if you catch them in the body of water your fishing.

Example of contradicting rules
5.Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody in which they were taken.

I think you'll find most Oregonians will disagree with you, the use of live bait should be banned here! Bucket biologists have literally destroyed dozens of trophy fisheries! The reason ODFW is focused on Salmon, Steelhead and Trout is because those are what are native to Oregon therefore they need to be protected from the species that live bait fisherman introduced! How is the regulation you posted contradicting? You can't use live crawdads, but you can use dead crawdads that you caught alive!

troutdude
troutdude
I agree completely w/ Beaverfan. And like he stated above, where is the contradiction in that item from the state?

If you don't like the laws, then do something to change them. Or don't go fishing if it makes you that upset.

X
X24
Still that doesn't make sense. You can use it just kill it first??? Dumb rule.
The reason that live minnows can't be used is because of Chubs that got released into waters they were from and took over. That happened in I believe two places from what I have read, hence ODFW changed the rules. Compared to other places I've fished and been to Oregon
has tons and tons of rules that make it very hard to fish. To be honest I would rather have a lake full of other fish besides trout. For example most of the "Trophy" trout I have seen so far at the hatcheries and in lakes have been cancerious and nasty looking. I would never eat them, nor display them with all their tumors and such. There are also a lot of waters where there are no trout but plenty of other fish, so using minnows from those bodies of water would not hurt. Oregon needs to realize that the Legendary Salomon runs will never come back. That was a long time ago and the oceans have changed and are being depleted at a very rapid rate. Oregon needs to embrace other fishing.

X
X24
Also most record size bass were caught using game fish as bait. Without being able to use naturally occurring baits, you have cut your chances of catching that record size fish.

troutdude
troutdude
The problem occurs, when someone takes live fish (i.e. minnows of whatever specie they may be) and transplants them into another body of water. Some of those fish (live bait) have escaped (i.e. "transplanted") and therefore infiltrated a body of water not native to them.

Those bait fish then wind up destroying that fishery, period. And it makes no difference, whether this has ruined one body of water or more. One is FAR TOO many! So, I'm thankful that ODFW stepped in and made it a law (that you can't use live bait fish).

So, why would those live bait fishing peeps take fish to use as bait--in a place where they are NOT native? Why would they think that those would make a "better bait"? The native fish, have never seen those bait fish before. So, why would they even look at those bait fish (coming from another water body)?

Sorry, but the logic is flawed.

Last edited:
Z
zarboth
i was going to ask why but the post above me made me understand and if that is true SCREW LIVE BAIT but if you caught that fish in that lake it should be ok. but then that goes into the thing of catching baby trout and stuff is illegal here is my standing if a minnow be caught in that water minnow be used but not if its trout or somthing like that

Last edited:
X
X24
There are plenty of states that allow the use of live bait and their fisheries are fine. Bait from a body of water should be allowed in that water period. Sorry that's just the way I feel. If the Hatchery truck comes and dumps fish in a body of water, guess what they are non native to that water. I know people who live and work at hatcheries who will not eat those fish because of how inbred, cancerous, and unhealthy they are. I know there are beautiful native fish here and they are amazing. I live across from the Necanicum estuary and watched my first run last year. In fact I was walking through the water with friends when they started to run and jump. However the bottom line is that using live crayfish, frogs, fish, and minnows, in the body of water they came from is healthy. That's the cycle of life and the way the food chain works. Those rules are a way of treating the symptoms and not the problem. Things like deforestation, damns, fish farming, the huge amount of pollutants that were allowed to be dumped in Oregon water for years. Commercial fishing is hurting and killing global fisheries, there are 20-30,000 dolphins a year getting slaughtered in Japan. In the bigger picture all of these things effect things like salmon runs, trout populations, etc. Using natural bait from the area is not the problem, it' healthy.

Last edited: