Makinaw

C
Charlie_merrifi
How does one fish them. When at green Peter I saw lots of big fish on the finder either on the bottom or close to it

B
beaverfan
The easiest way is to use a downrigger and troll with your lure a few feet from the bottom in very deep water. My favorite lure to use is an Apex lure.

C
Charlie_merrifi
So that's probably a good guess of what I am seeing

B
beaverfan
Ya, although fish finders are notoriously bad at judging fish size.

T
Throbbit _Shane
We used big rappalas. about a hundred feet back from the boat then attach to the downrigger and keep it about 20 feet off the bottom.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Would a bobber and worm work

C
Charlie_merrifi
Do they fall under the same regulations as all trout

Troutski
Troutski
Mac's

Mac's

Mac's are a true quarry that is for sure, I have done my best jigging under a school of Kokes. Once while trolling for Trout at Odell lake in the Spring along the south east shoreline, I picked up my largest Mac...they will eat like most fish- opportunistically. I do troll deep for them but most of mine are from jigging lures that resemble the pray. Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

C
chris61182
And be sure you can identify a bull trout should you catch one. I hear the population in Green Peter and the Santiam are improving so that may also be what you're seeing.

Troutski
Troutski
Well done...

Well done...

chris61182 said:
And be sure you can identify a bull trout should you catch one. I hear the population in Green Peter and the Santiam are improving so that may also be what you're seeing.

Great call..........:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chuck

C
Charlie_merrifi
What are the regulations like

Troutski
Troutski
When in doubt - release it...

When in doubt - release it...

It is each anglers responsibility to understand the difference and be able to identify each fish they catch. If you look in the synopsis it will show you and explain the difference between the two. Once you have seen one it becomes much easyer to tell the suttle differences.
ODFW and OSP have a saying "if in doubt release it", the Bull Trout is listed on the federal list and if you make a mistake and harvest the wrong fish it will be a very steep fine.

Chuck

J
John B
Makinaw in Green Peter ? :think:

D
dude young
Get Jiggy with It!

Get Jiggy with It!

I can attest that dredging bottom with a down rigger is not the easiest way to fish for lakers. It is certainly one of the best ways to do it, but the easiest is jigging. You will definitely want to use braided line to a swivel to 4-5 feet of flouro leader. The depths that you will be fishing at, if you are using mono, you will never get a good solid hook-up due to stretch. But, also remember that with braid, you can easily rip the jig out of their mouth if you put the "bubba-bass" hook set on 'em.

+1 on the jigging below bait pods. Also, do not be afraid to find submerged humps that are surrounded by deeper water. They will lay on the humps waiting to ambush bait that gets funneled over to them. Just drop a jig to the bottom, let it rest, then just twitch it a few times, then let it rest. Rinse, repeat. They will often attack it as they think it is bait that is dying. Get ready for a wild ride.

C
Charlie_merrifi
do i need to use a salmon pole

D
dude young
Charlie_merrifi said:
do i need to use a salmon pole

For downrigger, I use an Egle Claw Starfire 8' glass rod. Bends/loads real nice in the downrigger and is a lot of fun on the fight. Match it with a level wind reel and 8-10 pound mono.

For jigging, a 7'-6" to 8" med. heavy action graphite rod with a good back bone. Use 20 pound braid on either a spinning reel or bait caster.

B
beaverfan
After doing a little research I'm pretty sure Green Peter doesn't have Mackinaw in it so highly doubtful that's what you were seeing on your depth finder.

G
Griz
I have never heard of Mackinaw in G.P. and I would think what you are seeing is Chinook Salmon.

T
Thuggin4Life
All good advice for makinaw fishing. Probably some big chinokanee on the finder down on the bottom along with other fish. before i sold my boat the finder would show them down there. land locked chinook in the bigger sizes are hard to catch but once you figure it out it should be easy. just remember to call me when you do since i tryied a bunch of things and haven got any of the bigger ones.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Will do andy