An abundance of bass!

T
troutmasta
Hit the upper willy (newberg) this week twice caught 12 smallies the first day and 20 the second!
We just drifted nightcrawlers till we ran out. Then I set up a drop shot with a plastic worm. I had never done it before but they just murdred it. Took this pic at the end of the day. This was about the average size.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Thuggin4Life
Right one man. I need to give that a try for some crab bait sometime.

T
TTFishon
troutmasta said:
Hit the upper willy (newberg) this week twice caught 12 smallies the first day and 20 the second!
We just drifted nightcrawlers till we ran out. Then I set up a drop shot with a plastic worm. I had never done it before but they just murdred it. Took this pic at the end of the day. This was about the average size.

Nice! I'm gonna have to try drop shotting one of these days. Good job!

T
troutmasta
TTFishon said:
Nice! I'm gonna have to try drop shotting one of these days. Good job!

It was real fun. I think its gonna be my new "go-to" bass setup. Most fish were caught in 4-12 feet of water, on grassy flats.

A
adambomb
Thuggin4Life said:
Right one man. I need to give that a try for some crab bait sometime.

Small mouth bass is delicious! But to each their own!

F
fletchall5
Good job...best news I heard so far!!! Gonna have to try that drop-shotin rig some time :)

J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice smallie! Sounds like you guys slayed'em. You ever throw any crawdad crankbaits for smallies?

T
troutmasta
Johnny Southpaw said:
Nice smallie! Sounds like you guys slayed'em. You ever throw any crawdad crankbaits for smallies?

No. I just accedentally stumbled across bass fishing last year. Dont know much about it. Only what Ive read on the forum. Super fun though. They fight like absolute demons. Whats a crawfish crainkbait?

J
Johnny Southpaw
troutmasta said:
No. I just accedentally stumbled across bass fishing last year. Dont know much about it. Only what Ive read on the forum. Super fun though. They fight like absolute demons. Whats a crawfish crainkbait?

A crawfish crankbait is simply a crankbait formed and painted to look like a crawfish (crawdad). My favorite model is made by Rebel and comes in a few different sizes. Most sporting goods stores carry them (as does Bi-Mart). I used to live right next to a small creek loaded with nice smallies and they absolutely LOVED these lures, as crawfish are one of their favorite meals. When I'm going for bronzebacks the Rebel Crawfish is my go-to lure.

T
troutmasta
Johnny Southpaw said:
A crawfish crankbait is simply a crankbait formed and painted to look like a crawfish (crawdad). My favorite model is made by Rebel and comes in a few different sizes. Most sporting goods stores carry them (as does Bi-Mart). I used to live right next to a small creek loaded with nice smallies and they absolutely LOVED these lures, as crawfish are one of their favorite meals. When I'm going for bronzebacks the Rebel Crawfish is my go-to lure.
Ill have to pick one up. Ive heard that crainkbaits work good for bass. Ill grab a crawdad one. Thanks

S
SpencerWatts
the crawdad color works best at the beggining of spawn because they come up to the surface to lay eggs as well. (spawn is happening as we speak for the majority of the bass right now) after that it kinda fizzles out then picks back up for the summer and fall. they also hit the crawdad color because of the smolt in the river.... they eat so many smolt that its almost like a desert to see a crawdad up in the spawn grounds!!! good luck!

T
troutmasta
SpencerWatts said:
the crawdad color works best at the beggining of spawn because they come up to the surface to lay eggs as well. (spawn is happening as we speak for the majority of the bass right now) after that it kinda fizzles out then picks back up for the summer and fall. they also hit the crawdad color because of the smolt in the river.... they eat so many smolt that its almost like a desert to see a crawdad up in the spawn grounds!!! good luck!

thanks bud. Ill have to take you out on the boat this summer and get some tips.

F
flymann
Wow! I'm going to have to get up there sometime soon, that sounds like a blast! That reminds me of when the type of fishing in Crane Prairie, near Wickiup.

Thanks for sharing!

S
SpencerWatts
most definitely! or i could take u on mine! haha