Anything about spinners

B
bigdog
I would like to know what everyone thinks about dressed hooks? Are they something that most like to use and do you feel they really help in catching fish?

A
adambomb
bigdog said:
I would like to know what everyone thinks about dressed hooks? Are they something that most like to use and do you feel they really help in catching fish?

I like to use them when the water is gin clear and the sun is shining bright. To me, it seems that it tones the spinner down a little bit. I always trim the hackle OFF at the bottom of the hook because a lot of trout will strike just the dressing if its too long. Also, it creates more drag which can keep you in the strike zone longer.

B
bigdog
Do you preffer hooks to be dressed with hackle or do you also like marabou?

T
Troutier Bassier
Hackle looks wierd in water. Marabou moves more freely. It also makes the spinner a lil heaver i think.

B
bigsteel
ive added marabou and bucktail.....you might try spinnin saddle hackle around the shank..

S
SalmonStalker
yakker2 said:
salmonstalker is that spinner the hot weapon for shalish pond? and how did you come up with it?
Yeah thats my favorite spinner for salish, and Salmon/Steelhead

F
fishcreekspinners
I just skewer about a 1inch piece of zonker strip on one of the barbs, works great. easy to change colors, etc. the leather will dry out and get hard but a couple seconds back in the water and its good. For bass, it works great in murky water.

For that last configuration, I would split ring a small single hook to the spinner loop and have the snell about the length of a crawler. Then worm thread the crawler over bottom hook and attach worm head to top hook so worm is extended in a more natural drift.

Thats my two cents.

Last edited:
D
DirectDrive
bigdog said:
I never use 'em but a friend of mine, Gail McDougall of Blue Mountain Anglers, doesn't fish a spinner without hook dressing.
Initially I thought that it was a waste of time, but the guy catches. His Blue Fox hook treatments are the best I've ever seen.

F
Fishtopher
"Look Al is on TV!!"

"Look Al is on TV!!"

:clap:Nice job Osmosis on the spinner building tutorial on Outdoor GPS/Small Stream Salmon Fishing! I was 'bout to get in the shower 'cuz I dont usually watch the show when Bitsy is on, but had to watch when she said "Alan 'Osmosis'....".

:whistle:I'll bet that PM box is fillin' up fast now! :tongue:

T
Troutier Bassier
Yes, Alans Video is really good. Nice job Matthew C for camera skills.

S
strawberry shortcake
So basically, what you guys are saying, is that first off the fact that my aunt hauled fish outa her river that wouldn't bite our hooks is that:

#1. She's a woman and she touched her bait (pun either intended or not)

#2. If she didn't get a bite after two attempts, she moved on (such a player that woman)

#3. She coulda gotten more fish if she had dressed her hooks with her shredded underwear (don't think I will suggest this to her but you can if you have a death wish)

Troutski
Troutski
:D:D:clap:

B
bigdog
Yeah something like that. Wow this thread is back :lol:

S
strawberry shortcake
Went fishin today with my homemade wedding rings which I have been told, look like mother's jewelery. Caught 3, landed two. The big one (probably a 21 incher) got away after I had hooked it with a size 8 hook fully loaded with a beaded spinner. The hook was just too small. As soon as its big belly touched the gravel it started fighten and just shook that hook out. The other two, a 12 incher and a 13 incher, swallowed their wedding rings which had been beaded onto bigger hooks.

R
rickman
To bead or not to bead...that is my question.

All of the "recent" info I've seen on building inline spinners instruct you to add a bead or bearing between the body and the clevis. This supposedly allows the blade and clevis to spin more easily. I checked out some of my commercial spinners and they do indeed have a small bead there. Looking at the photos in Jed Davis's book, on the color plate, I do not see any beads on his spinners. Also in a (Canadian) catalog it states you do not need to add a bead between the top of the clevis and the tie loop (waste of a bead). I would think if one were looking add a little more weight that would be a good spot to add an additional bead.

What is the consensus here regarding the use of a bead between the body and the clevis?

(I made one today without the bead in that spot. The blade and clevis appear to spin pretty free to my eyes. Not sure about in the water though.)

D
DirectDrive
rickman said:
To bead or not to bead...that is my question.

All of the "recent" info I've seen on building inline spinners instruct you to add a bead or bearing between the body and the clevis.
Whoa!
An inline blade (Panther Martin style) does not use a clevis.
I tried to clear that up in my last post.
A French blade uses a clevis, for example.

This supposedly allows the blade and clevis to spin more easily. I checked out some of my commercial spinners and they do indeed have a small bead there. Looking at the photos in Jed Davis's book, on the color plate, I do not see any beads on his spinners.
It's called a "bearing bead" and it goes between the clevis and the body on the French and it goes between the blade and body on an inline.
If you're looking at a later edition of Jed's book, the bearing bead may not show up because it's tiny (1/16"). I can assure you that Jed uses a bearing bead on his French blade designs. BTW, Jed is/was a French blade driver and never had interest in inlines.
I asked him about it once.

Also in a (Canadian) catalog it states you do not need to add a bead between the top of the clevis and the tie loop (waste of a bead).
This is correct. A bearing bead between the top of the clevis and the loop is not necessary or needed.
If you need more weight, you do it in the body design.

I would think if one were looking add a little more weight that would be a good spot to add an additional bead.
What is the consensus here regarding the use of a bead between the body and the clevis?
(I made one today without the bead in that spot. The blade and clevis appear to spin pretty free to my eyes. Not sure about in the water though.)
Yep they will spin without a "bearing bead"....how well under pressure, I don't know.
I've built thousands of spinners and I've never built one without a bearing bead.

B
bigdog
I think DirecyDrive answered this very well for you. Glad to see this thread is still being put to good use.

R
rickman
Circle or Octopus hooks on inline spinners.

Other than the usual treble hooks and standard single hooks, has anyone tried using an Octopus or Circle hook on an inline spinner?

What experience I have had with them for regular fishing is that they perform very well, the fish pretty much hook themselves and I have yet to have a fish swallow the hook. They usually hook themselves right at the corner of their mouth making hook removal easy.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something "different" in regards to hook types. Thinking of making a spinner or two with these hooks.

F
fish_4_all
I have used Octopus hooks with less than stellar reults. I hooks and landed a lot more fish using Siwash hooks than Octopus hook. As for circle hooks, I have not tried one yet but have thought about it a lot. Mainly to keep from getting snagged up as much as I do with siwash hooks. I don't like to put a split on to connect my hook but a lot of members use them. Granted ost of them are treble hooks where trebles are illegal here for salmon.

I think I will start a topic on this just to try and get as many responses as possible. Rickman, please add your info if you would on how you connect them. I still need to learn to tie mine better with the eyes in line with each other and with a longer shank on them as I have always tied them close as possible.

R
rickman
fish_4_all, as far as the length of the shank, I think it is more of personal preference. Some say to leave about 1/4" between the clevis and eye and others say to leave it longer so you can "mend" it if a fish bends it up. I like it longer than 1/4" myself. I use the Boggs Tacklemaker and getting the last end 1/4" long is hard without bending the shaft of the lure. I bought a pair of LeadMaster Lure pliers for doing it by hand if I need to. One piece of advice when using the pliers is make sure you have at least 2" of tag so it's easier to twist around the shaft by hand.

I haven't made any spinners with the circle hooks yet, I was just throwing that out there to see if anyone has experimented with different hooks. I would probably attach them with a very small split ring so it can move around more hopefully increasing the hookset when the fish bites on it.