Fly fishing get together

T
Thuggin4Life
I wasn't sure to were they stocked above so I didn't mention it but they do stock blue river reservoir and thats above leaburg.

S
Shredder
Depends on when and where you go, but I may be up for going. Depends on the work / on-call schedule.

O
Outdoor_Myers
this sounds like fun. Trout season is toward the end of april right? thats when my 6 month is up and I become a resident yay! so far I have 5.30 save and a nail for my license lol. I found a cheap prespooled fly rod and reel combo at bimart for like 40 bucks. but I know nothing about flyfishing. would love to learn though!

O
OnTheFly
ninja2010 said:
if you be nice to onthefly, he can teach you to cast like a champ in an hour.

:redface:... ;)

T
TTFishon
fourgotten said:
The hatchery fish go WELL above Leahburg... I've caught them up to Blue River, where I stopped fishing.

Last year I caught a hold over way up past the hotsprings which is quite a ways past Blue River.

F
fourgotten
So this whole GTG sounds like good times. I've been fishing the steelies on the fly the last few weeks in the Alsea and loving it...

Especially if there's going to be impromptu casting lessons... I could use 'em... I cast like a drunken dislexic chimpanzee with rabies.

T'other day after hooking up with a gigantic steelhead, losing it, being too adrenalized to cast again, tying my fly line up in knots about a billion times, finally getting back into the water, hooking up AGAIN with the same beastie, and LOSING it again, some guys walked up the bank after I gave up the hole and asked if I was doing any good. I told 'em that I'd hooked up with a monster twice and lost it twice... (still not sure how that worked... I was sure that I had a good hook set...) one of them said "That explains it... We thought that we'd seen you flailing around down there a bit ago."

I let 'em know that was me casting. :LOL:

O
OnTheFly
lol. You probably had good form but those guys didn't understand it.

B
bigsteel
trust me i still lack at casting at times........this will be a great time....

F
fourgotten
OnTheFly said:
lol. You probably had good form but those guys didn't understand it.

That's it... yeah... my own form of fly casting... akin to Drunken Monkey Kung Fu.... I call it Flailing Fly Rod Casting... yeah... that's the ticket... yeah...

I'm really tempted to head out the McKenzie and go poke around at one of my favorite trout spots... it's also the only place that I've ever caught mountain whitefish and I'd like to try for a repeat performance on that one...

M
mosd
id be willing to go and do a float trip? (no, not taking the jet boat) ive been flyfishing ever since i could stand when i was a kid,
hey andy, ive got a rod you could borrow... the easiest cast is called a roll cast, or a person could teach yea how to do a snap T, like they do in spey casting. if your using a indicator with a nymph, but in the same your still doing a roll cast. if your up to it, i could show yea this weekend on the willy or mac.
dang i need to get to the mac, here there catching the classic mac 'bows like mad using march brown patterns. hopefully this cold front wont screw with anything

B
bigsteel
what do you guys think about doing the get together on the mckenzie?

T
Thuggin4Life
I think you guys should do it and sound like there is no shortage of extra rods for me to try out. If i could get set up with a rod and a few flys I would go out and pretend to know what i am doing for sure.

B
bigsteel
where would be a good place on the mc to get together,,plenty of camping and what not.

H
Hooked on fishin'
Outdoor_Myers said:
this sounds like fun. Trout season is toward the end of april right? thats when my 6 month is up and I become a resident yay! so far I have 5.30 save and a nail for my license lol. I found a cheap prespooled fly rod and reel combo at bimart for like 40 bucks. but I know nothing about flyfishing. would love to learn though!
I got my fly rod at Bimart, 19.99 with no line, and its great for someone just learning!

B
bigsteel
its gettin close to trout season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!everyone still up for swinging the buggy whip

M
mosd
anytime, just gotta let the waters receed abit, kindof high right now

M
Michael
bigsteel said:
its gettin close to trout season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!everyone still up for swinging the buggy whip

If the invite is open to all, then I would love to go to this!!! I don't have jack for fly rod equipment or experience for that matter, but I just spent the last hour watching fly casting video's on YouTube, so I'm sure that I'm a total expert now even though I've never even held a fly rod. :)

I'd be willing to drop a few duckets at bi-mart and get a rod.

Count me in!!

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
yea,,,everyone is welcome to join,,,ive got an extra rod and reel if you need it,,,,,we just gotta figure out where were gonna do this thing

E
eggs
I'm game

M
Michael
bigsteel said:
yea,,,everyone is welcome to join,,,ive got an extra rod and reel if you need it,,,,,we just gotta figure out where were gonna do this thing

Hey man, that's cool. Thanks. want to get togther to try out some casting? Maybe a little fishing as well?