Thread: Salmon Drifting Setup

Salmon Drifting Setup

Hi All. Really enjoy the information to be found here.

I am more familiar with drifting for steelhead. Am setting up a bank&wading drift rod/setup for Salmon and have questions. This is on a 8 1/2' lami rod rated 12-25# with an Abu 6501 reel. I have 17# PLine CXX on as a mainline currently.

1)What size leader/line brand would you use?
    2)Drift rig: what size corkies/cheaters/spin&glos/ along with hook size would you use for Salmon?
    3)Do Salmon like pink worms or spinners that much?
    Thanks to all.

V.I.P.
    Well we just found out that some salmon like pink worms. I still don`t think I`d target salmon with `em. Spinners? O ya! Leader material and rigs will vary greatly depending on what type of water you`ll be fishin. With spinners you can go as big as 20lb leader, maybe bigger but I don`t. When I`m drifting I`ll size down a ways to 12-15, water clarity, size of stream and where the fish can run will determine this. Don`t use corkies myself so IDK.
    There is no head like Steelhead

Thanks for the info Metalfisher!

V.I.P.
    Salmon like spinners like a fat kid likes ice cream. Metal fisher is about right on his leader sizes, I prefer it in maxima ultra green. As far as pink worms go I've never seen it but I have had a few accidents with nightcrawlers while fishing for trout when the water warms up (58 deg.+) so I dont see why a pink worm would not work, would try to present it slower though.

V.I.P.
    Dont forget lures like brads wigglers - especially for coho. If you're boating it - kwickfish wrapped with sardines or herring (I've even heard of folks using bacon) are good. Bobber & eggs is good too, or eggs & shrimp.

Experienced Member the salmon kid's Avatar
    well if you are drift fishing i supose you will probably be using the douoble hook rig with some roe and a med to small spin n glo,., i have caught the bulk of my fish on that rig and it is pretty simple to use,.,. OR,., if you want to have a bunch of fun and one hell of a fight get your self a heavy dudy fly pole with a good reel and use leach pattern flys for the salmon and they will just eat it up man,. me and a buddy went fly fishing for salmon one day and usina a black bunny moal we hooked, landed and relesed 28 chinook in one day on the fly poles,., and believe me your arm will get tired,. good luck man and here is a pic of the fly and the rig just incase you want to try it out
    also a pic of the results
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunny leack.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	16228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leech.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	16229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090626fish320.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	16230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090624fish_eggs470.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	16231  

:cool:GO ARMY:cool: ,.,.,

check out my you tube channel .,.,i have new videos every weekend
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cTFM17

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by the salmon kid View Post
    well if you are drift fishing i supose you will probably be using the douoble hook rig with some roe and a med to small spin n glo,., i have caught the bulk of my fish on that rig and it is pretty simple to use,.,. OR,., if you want to have a bunch of fun and one hell of a fight get your self a heavy dudy fly pole with a good reel and use leach pattern flys for the salmon and they will just eat it up man,. me and a buddy went fly fishing for salmon one day and usina a black bunny moal we hooked, landed and relesed 28 chinook in one day on the fly poles,., and believe me your arm will get tired,. good luck man and here is a pic of the fly and the rig just incase you want to try it out
    also a pic of the results
    Nice,thanks for this bit of info

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon