Nymphing for winter steelhead

D
Drew9870
With that hookset of yours Brandon, I'd recommend 20lb ;) :lol:.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
With that hookset of yours Brandon, I'd recommend 20lb ;) :lol:.

don't make fun of my hookset! :lol: i know i get over excited and sometimes snap fish off on the hookset when im using 5x... i'm a lot better about that now..ask dave im sure he remembers me snapping over half my fish off LOL!

D
Drew9870
One part of it could be just the fly tippet itself, most tippets I've encountered have very little stretch compared to regular mono, I got a couple rolls of Frog Hair in 5X (4.9lb) and a roll of Climax 98 5X (5.2lb) from Sports Authority for like $3 on sale, first time ever using actual tippet material, ever since using it I've lost a few flies from casting into the windstorm we had recently and one on a fish, I think I'll stick to P-Line Flouroclear 4lb for all purpose Trout tippet from now on.

S
steelhead_slayer
brandon4455 said:
don't make fun of my hookset! :lol: i know i get over excited and sometimes snap fish off on the hookset when im using 5x... i'm a lot better about that now..ask dave im sure he remembers me snapping over half my fish off LOL!

I used to get excite and set way to hard too. Ive sent little fish flying through the air a couple times:redface:

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelhead_slayer said:
I used to get excite and set way to hard too. Ive sent little fish flying through the air a couple times:redface:

i think we have all done that...i think it was during the same trip once me and bigsteel both set the hook on our fish and they landed in our waders somehow :lol:

S
steelhead_slayer
thats funny

S
steelhead_stalkers
Don't you know you are not supposed to set the hook when fly fishing? :lol:

Now don't be making fun of the cast a bubble gear guys, its almost as bad as fly fishing with a thingamabobber! :naughty:

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
i think we have all done that...i think it was during the same trip once me and bigsteel both set the hook on our fish and they landed in our waders somehow :lol:
That's how my Gramma used to fish.:rolleyes: Eight pound test on a stocker trout with the drag tightened with a wrench, she would wind the fish in hard and then slingshot it into the boat when it was still 5feet under water.

F
FlyBum
steelhead_stalkers said:
Now don't be making fun of the cast a bubble gear guys, its almost as bad as fly fishing with a thingamabobber

Whatever, it's just some BS that the Gearheads use to get around the Fly Fishing Only rules on certain rivers, like the Rogue that allow that misconduct.

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
Whatever, it's just some BS that the Gearheads use to get around the Fly Fishing Only rules on certain rivers, like the Rogue that allow that misconduct.
I aways thought the rules defined flyfishing only as fishing strickly with a fly rod and reel. Don't get too sore at steelhead_stalkers 'cause they sling as many flies as they do lures and they make a living at it.:cool:

Reactions: FlyBum
F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
I aways thought the rules defined flyfishing only as fishing strickly with a fly rod and reel. Don't get too sore at steelhead_stalkers 'cause they sling as many flies as they do lures and they make a living at it.:cool:

Not bitter about it, but they define "Fly Angling" as strictly fly rod and reel. Who knows how they define "Fly Fishing" don't think it's in the synopsis? (really, I can't find my copy) I do know that down on the Rogue the upper section turns into "Fly Fishing" only but there is a special exception for the "Bug and Bubble" I have a pretty good idea why, but that's not legal on the Metolius or Fall Rivers where it's "Fly Angling" only! and I really love seeing the Staters busting guys using spinning rods out on those rivers! Even if they are using flies, but they usually aren't. I've called a few in myself :shock: :cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
Not bitter about it, but they define "Fly Angling" as strictly fly rod and reel. Who knows how they define "Fly Fishing" don't think it's in the synopsis? (really, I can't find my copy) I do know that down on the Rogue the upper section turns into "Fly Fishing" only but there is a special exception for the "Bug and Bubble" I have a pretty good idea why, but that's not legal on the Metolius or Fall Rivers where it's "Fly Angling" only! and I really love seeing the Staters busting guys using spinning rods out on those rivers! Even if they are using flies, but they usually aren't. I've called a few in myself :shock: :cool:

:clap: not only does it have to be a fly reel and rod but i believe you have to be using fly line also.

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
They're all a bunch of cheaters.;)

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
They're all a bunch of cheaters.;)

You mean Poachers!! :doh:

S
steelhead_stalkers
It was just a joke. I like to fly fish. :D

My brother in law and his friend (fly only fisherman) were in town from Alaska earlier in the year and they fished the upper rogue during the fly only time. He was outraged at the regs and how stupid they were. Its funny that the fly fisherman that really want to fish the most effective way possible up there can't because you cannot add weight to your line. So because of the regs you get gear guys using cast a bubbles and fly guys fishing with indicators. Two of the worst techniques either type of fisherman can use! :lol:

The upper rogue is different from the Metolius as it changes from fly only back to bait. The Metolius is the same year round so they can make it fly angling only.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
whats wrong with strike indicator fishing on a fly rod? ive caught hundreds of fish this year nymphing... it's my go to method

S
steelhead_stalkers
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it Brandon. Its just not the most effective way to float fish. Just like casting a bubble and flies is not the most effective way to fish with a fly. I fish a two fly rig (egg and nymph) in fast water with my fly rod with very small split shot on my leader and no indicator. I use my 10 ft 4-8 lb float rod to float fish with. That gives me the best setup to fish both water types effectively for steelhead.

I just did not see a huge difference in casting an indicator with a fly rod and casting a bubble with a spinning rod in the upper rogue. If anyone fishes up there much this is what you will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
steelhead_stalkers said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it Brandon. Its just not the most effective way to float fish. Just like casting a bubble and flies is not the most effective way to fish with a fly. I fish a two fly rig (egg and nymph) in fast water with my fly rod with very small split shot on my leader and no indicator. I use my 10 ft 4-8 lb float rod to float fish with. That gives me the best setup to fish both water types effectively for steelhead.

I just did not see a huge difference in casting an indicator with a fly rod and casting a bubble with a spinning rod in the upper rogue. If anyone fishes up there much this is what you will see.
oh your talking steelhead? then i agree for the most part. just like with salmon. i used a glo bug under a strike indicator o my 8wt but didn't hook up until i took the indicator off and added split shot. but for trout, its the best. i would be afraid to run a big nymph in tandem without an indicator.. especially if it's heavy. would probably snag up a lot. thats what i like about a plain glo bug without an indicator. you add a split shot to your leader and just fish, the glo bug is partially buoyant so it's just off the bottom and in the strike zone, only way you snag up is if your shot gets wedged in a rock