Carp fishing tips?

D
Drew9870
:lol:

It all depends on where you fish, I dare someone to come fish my local waters and call it easy, because I've given up almost, I'll go days on end as a Salmon/Steelhead fisherman does without a bite. Eugene is Carp heaven to me :lol:, just a tiny thin float and some bread, but in Salem, my best day is still 6 fish, Eugene, about 23 Carp in the 3-4hrs I was able to fish.

Some people just enjoy catching something that will give them a great fight, my 2nd biggest Carp at 28lbs ran me for around 30 minutes, and that was the last fish I was manage to land out of this local water, probably 2-3yrs ago, any fish can be easy or hard to catch, it depends on where you fish, I could be ignorant and say Salmon are easy to catch judged on the couple of holes I visit once in awhile, but I know they are not easy to catch in general, depends on where you are, yet again.

I
igquick
Drew9870 said:
:lol:

It all depends on where you fish, I dare someone to come fish my local waters and call it easy, because I've given up almost, I'll go days on end as a Salmon/Steelhead fisherman does without a bite. Eugene is Carp heaven to me :lol:, just a tiny thin float and some bread, but in Salem, my best day is still 6 fish, Eugene, about 23 Carp in the 3-4hrs I was able to fish.

Some people just enjoy catching something that will give them a great fight, my 2nd biggest Carp at 28lbs ran me for around 30 minutes, and that was the last fish I was manage to land out of this local water, probably 2-3yrs ago, any fish can be easy or hard to catch, it depends on where you fish, I could be ignorant and say Salmon are easy to catch judged on the couple of holes I visit once in awhile, but I know they are not easy to catch in general, depends on where you are, yet again.

you mind telling me where this "local water" is? I don't keep any fish I catch by the way

C
cannonsville69
Yeah , it's definitely different depending where you fish . They usually are not that easy to catch . In the end, it's just fun to catch something... we go out on the reservoir trolling for trout, (rowing) trolling spoons down 35-40 feet over 80-120' deep water ... when a 20-35lb carp hits that rod, you're in for a fight... you dont know what it is and think you hooked the mother load of all trout ... 45 min later you see those big scales flashing and ya just shake yer head ... damn carp ! But really, it was still a good time, a good rush, lotta laughs and to me thats a good day fishing . And strangely enough, where I fish, the reservoir is all edge, sharp dropoffs and ZERO vegetation anywhere so the carp there have gone predatorial. If you open them up, you see crayfish and saw bellies . Guess thats why they hit lures there

I
igquick
cannonsville69 said:
Yeah , it's definitely different depending where you fish . They usually are not that easy to catch . In the end, it's just fun to catch something... we go out on the reservoir trolling for trout, (rowing) trolling spoons down 35-40 feet over 80-120' deep water ... when a 20-35lb carp hits that rod, you're in for a fight... you dont know what it is and think you hooked the mother load of all trout ... 45 min later you see those big scales flashing and ya just shake yer head ... damn carp ! But really, it was still a good time, a good rush, lotta laughs and to me thats a good day fishing . And strangely enough, where I fish, the reservoir is all edge, sharp dropoffs and ZERO vegetation anywhere so the carp there have gone predatorial. If you open them up, you see crayfish and saw bellies . Guess thats why they hit lures there

jw but do you get these carp during Fall and Winter? I've been reading that they become more preditorial during those times....if so then I might just try lures on my pond because they stopped biting bread, but there are mixed opinions online about using lures, such as using them with or without bait glug, using them slow, etc. But it seems to me that you fished ur lures as going for trout...I caught my first/biggest when I was going for bullhead..what do you think?

I
igquick
when I ment you used your lures as fishing for trout, is that you were working the lures anything but slow...than again slow can be defined in many ways...in my terms with lures, slow meaning moving a foot per 30 seconds (which is how some dude caught a 4 lb bass at my local pond with a frog lure)

C
cannonsville69
Carpoosta !

Carpoosta !

igquick said:
jw but do you get these carp during Fall and Winter? I've been reading that they become more preditorial during those times....if so then I might just try lures on my pond because they stopped biting bread, but there are mixed opinions online about using lures, such as using them with or without bait glug, using them slow, etc. But it seems to me that you fished ur lures as going for trout...I caught my first/biggest when I was going for bullhead..what do you think?

I know what you are saying... yes in spring they will hit anything that comes near their spawn bed in shallow flats .... we get them all year round and get them down 30-40 feet suspended over 80-120 foot deep open water , they are not lying on spawning beds here. All I can say is that it's almost all ledge, deep dropoff, rocky and absolutely no vegetation on the reservoir. We dont get them constantly either , just here and there when fishing spinners, crankbaits for bass or trolling spoons for trout . On the other hand, If it gets windy and you see a mud line coming out, they will hit a worm/single hook cast just into the first few feet of that mud line ... We dont go out for them , it's just a laugh to catch a 15-30 lb fish 24-36" long ... breaks up the day.

I
igquick
cannonsville69 said:
I know what you are saying... yes in spring they will hit anything that comes near their spawn bed in shallow flats .... we get them all year round and get them down 30-40 feet suspended over 80-120 foot deep open water , they are not lying on spawning beds here. All I can say is that it's almost all ledge, deep dropoff, rocky and absolutely no vegetation on the reservoir. We dont get them constantly either , just here and there when fishing spinners, crankbaits for bass or trolling spoons for trout . On the other hand, If it gets windy and you see a mud line coming out, they will hit a worm/single hook cast just into the first few feet of that mud line ... We dont go out for them , it's just a laugh to catch a 15-30 lb fish 24-36" long ... breaks up the day.

ill probably give up at this pond and maybe try somewhere else

D
Drew9870
igquick said:
you mind telling me where this "local water" is? I don't keep any fish I catch by the way

I am not one to share my local waters, the Carp around here have very little pressure on them, and some people don't even know they exist in some of the waters, if I told everyone that has asked me, I'd probably be seeing dead fish laying on the bank, thus making them a trash fish because everyone has to smell the decomposition, I'm also not saying you would do such a thing.

These local waters are no more than 2 miles away from me, and lately, I rarely visit them once a month, they are that difficult, but it is worth it to hook one because most of the fish I see in one of these waters are rarely less than 18lbs, it is a very suitable environment for the Carp to grow large and not get out of control as far as population.

I'm only 20 years old, and found out what I know about these waters on my own, most people who enjoy pursuing a fish are capable of learning on their own, so if you have the patience and you are willing to pursue Carp, it won't be long until you can walk up to a new body of water and look for certain types of activity that tell you this water does in fact contain Carp, and if you get good at reading the activity and knowing the amount of activity, then you can get a good idea of the size and numbers of Carp in a body of water without ever laying eyes on one, trust me.

D
Drew9870
Bnnopo said:
"But Mr.Game Warden, I was not chumming, I was feeding the ducks!"

Not sure how well that excuse will work, but anybody who wants to take one for the team and try it, let us know the results when you get out... :)

If a warden ever tried getting on my case for tossing breadcrust to ''the ducks'', I'd be pretty upset, I understand it is illegal to feed the wildlife, but I have never once seen that law get enforced over at Walter Wirth Lake, those ducks never migrate, they are sitting there right now as we speak waiting for someone to bring a loaf of bread and whatever else is going stale in their cupboards, but when you are holding a fishing rod, it would probably be a different matter. I understand those people want to put a smile on their childrens/grandchildrens face, but they are just completely unaware of the fact that they are polluting those birds and the environment, I can't imagine how hostile they would get if I tried to explain it to them, I'd probably get an answer like "Everyone else does it" :rolleyes:.

I
igquick
cannonsville69 said:

36 inch carp is a 30 lb fish?

C
cannonsville69
igquick said:
36 inch carp is a 30 lb fish?
Have pics of some of the bigger ones . I'm 5'11" and one hangs from my chin almost to the ground , girth was bigger than my thigh so idk , might have been more than 36 , guestimating ... these things aren't something we're getting out the tape measure and scale for . We catch them in a very large and deep reservoir . They get huge .

I
igquick
cannonsville69 said:
Have pics of some of the bigger ones . I'm 5'11" and one hangs from my chin almost to the ground , girth was bigger than my thigh so idk , might have been more than 36 , guestimating ... these things aren't something we're getting out the tape measure and scale for . We catch them in a very large and deep reservoir . They get huge .

Dang you got to post those pics

Y
yingxuy
I rarely visit them once a month, they are difficult, but it is worth a link, because I saw one of the fish in these waters are rarely less than 18 pounds, it is a very suitable environment for carp the growth of large, rather than according to population control.

I
igquick
and what place is this?