25 lb big ass carp!

J
john montana
Slob. This monster was snoozing off the edge of the flat when a size 10 rust (singlebarbed free range dubbed) soft hackle gently splashed down about eight inches away. As the fly sank she eased down after it into the depths. I counted to three and lifted the rod. Slob.

Dr. Cane stuck this fish on a perfect worm take off an outstanding cast. The worm sank inches from the tailer...touched down and we saw the tail stop. The fish went horizontal, eased forward, went vertical and it was fish on.

This little guy ate a soft hackle like a feeding trout. The fish was stationed on a gravel bar facing into the current. It darted left and eight something. It darted right
and ate something. It darted left again and ate my soft hackle.

This fish came off of sheer seduction. A tailing fish, it proved the rare exception that could resist a San Juan worm. Then along hopped a smallish looking bug...skittering and swimming. The fish followed...paused...followed and ate.

This fish came with persistence. Despite perfect positioning and some well placed flies...no take. Again and again this was repeated until the fish had simply had enough and stopped tailing and headed for deep water. In a last ditch effort I flipped the flies in front...strip, strip, strip, strip...the fish paused and I set the hook.

Carp on the fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
flyguy202011
wow dude you really are an amazing carp and fly fisherman. and this whole articale answered my questions :) thanks john and Once again amazing fish!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
*ssssmmmooootttchhh* What a kisser on that fish WoW!!

T
TTFishon
Another great carp'n post! Love the pics!

A
abel
The 25lb carp is an impressive specimin. Does anyone have idea how old that fish might be? I have been spending a little time looking for carp water on the Columbia tis week. I saw some nice looking flats at Rooster Rock Park and near Cascade Locks just up river from Herman Creek. However, I didn't spot any fish. I am heading to Maupin today for a couple days of Steelhead fishing. I will look at the Columbia around the Dalles on the way back for Carp.

J
john montana
I read somewhere that carp live between 15-18 years...but i don't really know. That fish (and my 31 lber from earlier this year) sure looked old. this one had some spunk though...ran me to my backing twice which is unusual for a fish over 20 lbs. the big ones normally just wallow around 30 ft out and it is the 16 lbers that rip line off your reel.

P
psguardian
I'd say that was a worth while 'last hoora' for your carp '11 season! Nice fish!
~psguardian