Slow, slower, slowest

S
skunk
Went on the columbia at the mouth of the Kalama. 12 hrs, 6 rods, 1 for 1 steelhead. Saw MAYBE 3 kings for about 50 boats. 0 for me. Havent touched a fish for months. Getting ooooollllldddd fast now. maybe next time.

J
JKham
Dang, thats too bad. I was about to go on a guided trip but the guide I was going to go with said it was weak and he didn't want me to waste my $150. I bet next week should be better.

G
GDBrown
It will be great the week before I get back just you wait and see!

S
skunk
It'll be great the day I'm at work! Haha

S
skunk
JKham said:
Dang, thats too bad. I was about to go on a guided trip but the guide I was going to go with said it was weak and he didn't want me to waste my $150. I bet next week should be better.

You got a good guide, my guide pawned me off on a part time guide, feel like I got way gyped.

J
JKham
skunk said:
You got a good guide, my guide pawned me off on a part time guide, feel like I got way gyped.

Yeah that's unfortunate your guide did that. It's tough finding a good guide, I generally will only go with the ones that have good referrals or a good website. From my personal experience, seems like the ones with a good webpage tend to be very professional and ethical...Always exception to the rule but this is just what I noticed. If they're willing to spend the $$ on the expense of a good webpage then they will do what it takes to keep their name and business reputation high. This is good practice in my opinion because I will only take my clients to guides that I have personally had good experiences with.

T
twostroke350twin
The only good guide is the one thats a friend first. Your average run of the mill guide is usually no FUN. Fishing needs to be fun not business. You'll never see me being a STUMP on one of those boats. Finding fishing buddies with boats will save money and you might get to go more and catch more fish.....plus you might have some fun.

S
skunk
Live and learn. I have been on two great guided trips, both guides with good friend reps. this was a gift, and I probably won't do that again. I did learn some stuff, so not a total waste, just a little disappointing.

R
rippin fish lips
i went on a guided trip last last year for fallies and coho, i was fun and he the guide was a great guide! He knew where the fish were and hooked into the bigger nooks and coho on a consistant bases. I have thought about buyn another one, but 1 was enough for me to learn the basics and the importand part... trolling speed and how to set the gear. After that i went out and pur 3 ppl on a fish in our boat.

S
skunk
rippin fish lips said:
i went on a guided trip last last year for fallies and coho, i was fun and he the guide was a great guide! He knew where the fish were and hooked into the bigger nooks and coho on a consistant bases. I have thought about buyn another one, but 1 was enough for me to learn the basics and the importand part... trolling speed and how to set the gear. After that i went out and pur 3 ppl on a fish in our boat.

Nice, its a learning curve, I'm still learning, on the steep part of the curve is all. They just fish, and I'll outsmart them yet.

T
twostroke350twin
twostroke350twin said:
The only good guide is the one thats a friend first. Your average run of the mill guide is usually no FUN. Fishing needs to be fun not business. You'll never see me being a STUMP on one of those boats. Finding fishing buddies with boats will save money and you might get to go more and catch more fish.....plus you might have some fun.

I have hired a guide a couple times.......only because I wanted to fish the Quinault. Of the two guides one was fun the other was OK....but to his defense he got me hooked up with a giant steelhead. If your guide don't act like he owns the water your on(unless he does own it like the Quinault indians)....he'll probably be good.