Anyone out there kayak fish?

T
Tinman
Coming up this spring I try to do some fishing out of my kayak. Are there any other twisted old farts out there that do the kayak thing.

T
Troutier Bassier
The Nothing and Kayakkid. both fish for sturgeon..

M
mlw
I am a little curious about kayaks for fishing - some of the spendy models look pretty nice, but somehow the idea of fishing for prehistoric fish larger than the boat I am in doesn't really grab me. :)
Michael

L
lilsalmon
Tinman said:
Coming up this spring I try to do some fishing out of my kayak. Are there any other twisted old farts out there that do the kayak thing.

I have tried trout fishing, salmon fishing and steelhead fishing...never thought of kayak fishing...don't you need a really big rod for that and what kind of bait do kayaks hit on.......:lol::lol:;):lol::lol:

sorry for the humor...needed to lighten up a bit...

T
Tinman
A few years ago I was on the beach with my kayak getting ready to go out fishing. A lady came up and wondered what I was doing, so I told her I was kayak fishing. She asked, are they like salmon and are they good eating and what was the biggest one I've ever caught. At that point, I got into my kayak and paddled like mad! :rolleyes:

T
Tinman
Checkout kayak fishing for " SHARK" on utube

Checkout kayak fishing for " SHARK" on utube

The guys that fish for shark in their kayaks have got to have a death wish!! I've seen shark while bottom fishing in my yak but never had the desire to get eaten by one !:lol:

O
OnTheFly
Tinman said:
A few years ago I was on the beach with my kayak getting ready to go out fishing. A lady came up and wondered what I was doing, so I told her I was kayak fishing. She asked, are they like salmon and are they good eating and what was the biggest one I've ever caught. At that point, I got into my kayak and paddled like mad! :rolleyes:

That's hilarious!! Shouda told her Kayaks are nothing like salmon that they are voracious eaters, fight like Dorado in the way they leap out of the water, the largest one you caught was over a hundred pounds and took you 3 hours to bring in.:lol:

S
Swamp Puppy
seen guys fishing for Yellowtail (and other things) in the kelp beds down in Point Loma. (san diego, ca area)

some pretty crazy YouTube videos on the subject as well.

T
Troutier Bassier
Anyways, Ive seen a guy catch marlin on a surfboard. Sure as a johnson you can catch on a kayak

T
The Nothing
I've been fishing from a kayak since this last summer. I love it. I'm out there pretty much whenever I can. I fish from a Ocean Kayak Trident 15, and waiting on my 11 to get here. The 11 will be my drift (the 15 is way too big for the Sandy, Wilson, etc) and small water boat. The 15 will be my Willamette/Colubia and big blue boat.

T
Troutier Bassier
15'? Wow. My boat is 15'. Thats a big kayak.

T
The Nothing
Yes it is, and i feel it anytime I see a small body of water I want to fish (like the tournament I was in back in Sept). And not the biggest SOT style kayak on the market. I think there are two 16' kayaks. Mine only hits 16' because of the rudder.

K
kornphlake
Do kayaks over 10 feet need to be registered now? There was a thread several months ago claiming the regs had changed and it would cost $10/yr or so to register a kayak 10' or longer. I'm looking to buy a kayak and 10'-12' seems like the ideal length, but I don't really want to have to deal with registering it, looks like there are a few just under 10' that I'd consider.

T
The Nothing
Any person paddling ANY type of boat over 10' in lengh nees an AISPP. Get one any where fishing licenses are sold for $7

K
koboabe
@ Isaac,
have you ever seen inflatable pontoons out while Sturgeon fishing from your yak?
I have a 10.5' boat and have been wanting to take it out, but have been a lil worried about trying to anchor in some deep hole.

do you anchor in your yak?
how much line do you carry?

T
The Nothing
I haven't seen anything inflatable near sturgeon waters before. The initial problem I see with anchoring a pontoon is getting the anchor point dead center. I can imagine a rather nasty surprise should you try to anchor off center.

With the kayak, I have a trolley that runs up and down the side of my kayak. I thread the anchor through a loop on the trolley which becomes my anchor point. That anchor point is then completely adjustable from the bow to the stern

That is rather important when the Willamette's flows are down and there's a wind pushing from the north. Often times my anchor point will be towards the front of the kayak, and I'll end up river of the anchor.

At times like that, I can get away with a 3.5# folding anchor and less than 150' of rope.

But this time of year things change drasticly. The river is a moving, and I even gave up fishing on xmas-eve because it was flowing too high for me to feel comfortable when I was on the hook. I was using an 8# river mushroom and had about 350' of dacron out to hold me.

Ideally you should be anchoring with an ideal anchor scope of 3-5:1 Sometimes more if needed. Where I've been fishing most the this season, I've been in 75' of water. That would equal at least 225' of rope. you'll see I had a lot more of that a few weeks ago, and I still wasn't feeling too good about anchoring.

Anchoring takes a good amount of practice, and I don't think it's gonna be a good time of year to practice...