Mussles? Where are said rocks to find them on?

S
silkiechicken
So while crabbing from the dock at newport, I saw bunches of mussles on the pier... which makes me wonder where I should go get them? I've wandered around the beaches a bit, but everything seems sandy.... Are there like, good rocks with these suckers growing from them that I could pick off for dinner? Thanks!

O
OneMore
Wish I could help you out with that one. I have always wondered that too. Maybe someone can answer this one for both of us.

H
halibuthitman
near the old coast gaurd station in garibaldi..... ALL shelfish is closed on the north coast right now do to toxins, you can check odfs web site to see when it is safe again.

S
silkiechicken
I have terrible luck with shelfish closures. The last like 4 times I was set out to go get them, they were closed like the day before I was going to head out!

At this time though, I won't be hunting for them till January as I'll be back home in WA. Anyone have an idea where to look in the newport area? Thanks a bunch!

Maybe if they are good to eat around Jan 1st, I'll try and snatch some up on the scenic route back to oregon. :p

G
GDBrown
Mussels on the Rocks

Mussels on the Rocks

silkiechicken said:
Anyone have an idea where to look in the newport area? Thanks a bunch!

Maybe if they are good to eat around Jan 1st, I'll try and snatch some up on the scenic route back to oregon. :p

I have always seen them on the jetties at low tide. We used to break them off and use them for crab bait. Just watch out for the breakers:D

B
beaverfan
There are rocks all over the coast with mussels on them. Just go out and find some tide pools at low tide and you'll be set.

L
livin2fish
silkiechicken said:
I have terrible luck with shelfish closures. The last like 4 times I was set out to go get them, they were closed like the day before I was going to head out!

At this time though, I won't be hunting for them till January as I'll be back home in WA. Anyone have an idea where to look in the newport area? Thanks a bunch!

Ya, hit the jettys at low tide and always watch the ocean and like what was said below tide pools are good as well, the trick is to find them away from the sand as much as possible, do make sure you check to see if it is open.The sand can be a real pain but if you aren't picky and willing to do the work you can flush most of it out. good luck, be safe and Fishon.:dance::dance:

Last edited:
L
livin2fish
silkiechicken said:

Ya, hit the jettys at low tide and always watch the ocean and like what was said by beaver tide pools are good as well, the trick is to find the mussles away from the sand as much as possible, "do make sure you check to see if it is open".The sand can be a real pain but if you aren't picky and willing to do the work you can flush most of it out. good luck, be safe and Fishon.:dance::dance:

L
livin2fish
[[/quote]

L
livin2fish
livin2fish said:
Ya, hit the jettys at low tide and always watch the ocean and like what was said below tide pools are good as well, the trick is to find them away from the sand as much as possible, do make sure you check to see if it is open.The sand can be a real pain but if you aren't picky and willing to do the work you can flush most of it out. good luck, be safe and Fishon.:dance::dance:
oops:lol:

D
DirectDrive
Short Sands Beach
I don't remember what kind of rocks they were, but they were mussels. Black shell and orange meat.
We gathered Dungeness crab, razor clams, kelp bass and mussels that day.
Fixed the most awesome Bouillabaisse right there at the beach.
A day I'll never forget.