L
luv2fish
well.... so be it...

G
GDBrown
OFF Drift.

OFF Drift.

beaverfan said:
So you gonna make it to the Lonnie Bird Memorial Drift OFF? If so I would like to fish with ya.

:DI'll be there if my hands are healed enough and my wife is not looking:confused:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks again!

Thanks again!

JeannaJigs said:
I thank you beaverfan for posting this. I am by no means a lazy angler that just wants to use technology to find fish. I have done my share of footwork on my local rivers, long before I even had internet. This map, like has been said, was created for those attending the fish off. I am one of those people that is greatly appreciative of the effort put into this whole event, especially of this map that seems to have offended so many. I am driving 3 hours from Eugene, to fish one day, and one day only, on a river I've never even seen. So rather than spending excessive time driving, trying to locate good water...I will have a little heads up, and hopefully get to spend more time with my line in the water. So once again, THANK YOU to those of you that have contributed to this

Exactly what Jeanna said...except I will be coming from Dallas.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

C
chris61182
beaverfan said:
So after reading several peoples frustration with finding good holes on the Wilson I decided to make a nice little map. It's a work in progress and all are welcome to edit the map and add some holes of there own. You can even go back and edit description of holes to add how you did when you fished there. I think this is a really neat idea and hope some other people do the same for there favorite river. It will really benefit a lot of people. Anyways here's the link, enjoy!

Interactive Wilson River Fishing Map - Google Maps

:clap: Thank you for this, I'm finally learning the names to all the holes I've found over the years.

H
halibuthitman
funny... ive never googled any rivers around here, just did... my comment was obviously quite outdated, I had no idea that there already were so many online maps.... I have no Idea how to use all the available data this machine can produce. wow

Y
youngbuck307
Its all good man...... new times new technology... I think im good with a computer and still am learning new things i can do with it all the time lol

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Me too...

Me too...

halibuthitman said:
funny... ive never googled any rivers around here, just did... my comment was obviously quite outdated, I had no idea that there already were so many online maps.... I have no Idea how to use all the available data this machine can produce. wow

Haha,I am right there with you! As if it's not bad enough to listen to our joints moan and groan,some of get to listen to the brain cells complain,too. I guess I'll wait for my grandson to teach me how to use this contraption. :lol:

M
mahucaro
beaverfan said:
So after reading several peoples frustration with finding good holes on the Wilson I decided to make a nice little map. It's a work in progress and all are welcome to edit the map and add some holes of there own. You can even go back and edit description of holes to add how you did when you fished there. I think this is a really neat idea and hope some other people do the same for there favorite river. It will really benefit a lot of people. Anyways here's the link, enjoy!

Interactive Wilson River Fishing Map - Google Maps

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I have a big time trouble finding new places to go in the river.
My friend and I went to check the wilson yesterday and we checked a couple of the sites in the upper river and even though the river is still big I'm happy that I could find couple new places that seem fit for nice fishing. No fish:(
Thank you again.:clap:

T
theboone
Thanks a lot for posting this. I don't find time for fishing as often as I'd like, and it really helps to have a map like this to reference the different holes I see people talking about on the forum.

Anybody have any resources like this for the Sandy and the Clack?

Thanks Beavman

F
FishFiddle
Great Map!! I have never fished the Wilson and won't be able to come on Sat. I am over Ret. age and I remember the willow stick and nylon cord that I started with (and caught my first fish). I think it is always easy to judge change (technology) as a negative but at the same time remember the technology that we have already assumed as our birthright. I appreciate the ref. to Bob and he also said you "don't need a weather man to tell which way the wind blows". Thanks!!

O
Oncorhynchus
Im just curious why you would post all these holes for anyone to see. Ive been fishing the Wilson for 4 years i live a 40-45 minute drive from the upper river so i go often. I know 90% of these holes you posted and a few of them are favorites of mine that i really dont like sharing with everyone and there granma when i go to get away from it all and catch some steel. Glad to see you left some of the good ones out though. Fishing's about getting out and learning and exploring not going to some hole that you read about online that someone else says is good. I guess the damage is done though.

B
beaverfan
hahaha this map was made for a fishing tournament we had on the wilson river last saturday. it was a diabetes benefit. i made the map so people would know where to fish. It was also made because a LARGE group of us feel like people that don't get out that often should have a chance to catch fish too. sorry to upset ya but oh well.

B
beaverfan
By the way, many members contributed to this map, it was a group effort. Oh and its been up for months, have you noticed increased pressure out there? I sure haven't and I fish it usually twice a week.

O
Oncorhynchus
Im happy to say i have not noticed much more pressure then is to be expected cause the wilson has been lousy with fisherman all year a lot more then last year from what ive seen i fish on weekend and days i have off school and i normally can not hit more then one or two holes i like without seeing at least one other person but this years been crazy anyways so i can not tell. I also have been fishing other rivers to excape the crowds. Being a steelheader requires a lot of hard work to learn the rivers and the gear and if you dont put that in then you dont deserve to catch fish IMO. I had a few holes shown to me as a newb and i still show people i take fishing new holes but putting it up in a public space for the masses to see is against my code of conduct do what you will and if any of you spot a 6'7 teenager fishing the wilson in a few of these spots say hello.

B
beaverfan
So in your mind people that don't have the time, or money, or some other time limiting factor shouldn't catch fish? The vast majority of fishing licenses sold are by people that only go a couple times a year. Those people deserve to catch fish just as much as you or I.

O
Oncorhynchus
beaverfan said:
So in your mind people that don't have the time, or money, or some other time limiting factor shouldn't catch fish? The vast majority of fishing licenses sold are by people that only go a couple times a year. Those people deserve to catch fish just as much as you or I.

Not if they dont put in the time and effort you can still catch fish going a few times a year if you spend entire days on the water hitting every pull out you see and if you catch fish doing this only going a few times a year more power to you. And maybe these people should not fish for steelhead since they can be hard to catch even if you know were to go and what to use if they only go a few times a year go to hagg or something were its impossible to get skunked and nobody minds sharing the secrets to success. Fishing for steel requires a lot of hard work and if your not willing to do that hard work then you should maybe chase another species of fish IMO. Im in no way saturated with money i have to go halves and even thirds on gas most time i fish as im a high school student with limited funds but i still get out on the river often enough to learn it and put in my hours for my fish.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
If those people don't fish for steelhead then ODFW doesn't sell as many tags so they can't afford to keep stocking fish. I don't think we want that. I agree that the people that are UNWILLING to put in the time don't deserve to catch anything, but the problem is they ARE willing to put in the time, they just don't have the time or money to go on a regular basis. Without selling tags ODFW will run out of money and that would suck. We need the casual anglers to buy there tags, if they can't catch a fish they won't keep buying them. The more people fishing the better because it will force ODFW to increase smolt production. And if you think the Wilson is packed on the weekends try fishing Eagle Creek. The only hole that I ever see with more than 1 or 2 other guys there is the guide shop hole. The Wilson is a good size river with tons of access, for example we had 30 people out on the Wilson last weekend. I only ran into one group of guys from or group while fishing.

B
bigsteel
i was at the event and the map was very helpful gettin around,,,,,dont tell me i dont put my time in,,,,just doesn't happen to be that river... i plan on going back there i found a few nice spots ide like to fish again....if your ever on the north santiam i can show you a ton of great spots and ive put my time in on this river..:D

G
GDBrown
Time Will Tell....

L
lilsalmon
I was at the event and found it a great place to fish and will be even better when the water level is down a little more (it could be now for all I know, havent checked) Anywho, I think most of us out of high school have been there done that, seen things that we didn't as a teen, been through things that some havent, and had life events that have opened our eyes and now know the true importance of certain things and life itself. I admire the ones that get their secret spots and "put in their time" but I know that I am out to fish and have a good time and enjoy the land and water. One day I will get my first steelie and know I worked hard to get it. I am a single parent and work full time and sometimes have to scrimp to fish....you should see my tackle box...its looking really pathetic. So, Friday is my turn to choose where we fish...I think it will be the Wilson since I have only been there once...so, if you see a 5'9" female sliding down the mud at the bank or slipping on wet leaves.....say hi. :D

the previously stated words are mine and do not reflect the opinion of anyone but me....meaning I probably will get flack for some of what I said but thats okay....I still fish