Thread: -How to make yarn balls-

Thumbs up -How to make yarn balls-

I have had many people ask how to make nice round yarn balls for steelhead fishing so I made two videos explaining how to do it. The first video shows you how to tie a yarn ball egg loop knot which gives you an extra loop to put your yarn in. The second one shows the actual steps to make a finished yarn ball. This is just one technique, but it works very well for me.

How to tie Yarn Ball Egg Loop Knot

How to make Yarn Balls

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. :dance:

Very nice demonstration! How long are the lengths of yarn in a pack?

Fantastic video and explanation... as always. Good job guys.
    - Micah
    Green Tackle - Environmentally Friendly Fishing Tackle
    Fish Itch - Weekly Deals on Fishing Tackle

You get 30 inches per package. Its three times the diameter of glo-bug yarn so on average you get about 7.5 feet of glo-bug yarn for comparison sake. For most people I would think two strands would be sufficient but three makes a really big, fluffy yarn ball. This technique can be used with any type of fishing yarn.

Keep Oregon Green
    I know what I'm about to go do......

Super Moderator Top Author Raincatcher's Avatar
    Less than a mile from the Santiam River :)
    Since this is undoubtedly a tutorial,I moved it to make sure everyone knows where to look. Thanks,Chad,it will help a lot of people.

Be safe out there
    ​Barb

Yeah, I did not even think about that when I posted. New sections being added and I'm not keeping up. Thanks for moving it.

Awesome tutorials. Particularly, I'd like to have the die to tie knot. Could you PM for the brand and price if you remember?

i have been pm'ing steelhead directly for yarn tips but i thought id ask you guys/gals as well. i tried my first yarn ever last week, no luck but the water was so high i wasn't expecting much.

1.) Does anyone use corkies when drifting with their yarn? Do you really need to? or is the yarn so boyant that it will just float by itself?

2.) Color wise what do you think i should start with? im going to get some pinks, reds, white, and black yarn to start with.

3.) whatsup with UV yarn??

Keep Oregon Green
    1.) Does anyone use corkies when drifting with their yarn? Do you really need to? or is the yarn so boyant that it will just float by itself?
    Most people run corkies while using the yarn slid into an egg loop, it probably wouldn't hurt to run a really small corky with a yarn ball, the yarn ball itself is almost too light snag up.

2.) Color wise what do you think i should start with? im going to get some pinks, reds, white, and black yarn to start with
    If I had to live with one yarn, it would be red, but I also like Orange especially mixed with Glo-Bug brand Shrimp colored yarn, I try to imitate eggs with Corky rigs and Yarn Balls.

3.) whatsup with UV yarn?
    I highly doubt UV makes the yarn more significant than others, anyone who dyes yarn could add some UV powder to the dye mix and call it UV yarn. I just really like the feel of the SS yarn and the thickness, it may be $3 for a short length of yarn, but the thickness kind of makes up for the length. I believe if a fish is hungry, it won't matter if the lure glows or not, the fish has about 2 seconds to decide whether to eat it or not and I doubt in that 2 seconds, that UV will be more significant than a yarn of the same color.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew9870 View Post

I highly doubt UV makes the yarn more significant than others, anyone who dyes yarn could add some UV powder to the dye mix and call it UV yarn. I just really like the feel of the SS yarn and the thickness, it may be $3 for a short length of yarn, but the thickness kind of makes up for the length. I believe if a fish is hungry, it won't matter if the lure glows or not, the fish has about 2 seconds to decide whether to eat it or not and I doubt in that 2 seconds, that UV will be more significant than a yarn of the same color.
    well put
    Pacific Northwest Fly Fishing Blog ---->http://northwestflyfish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Drew9870 View Post
    I highly doubt UV makes the yarn more significant than others, anyone who dyes yarn could add some UV powder to the dye mix and call it UV yarn.
    There is a reason that no one else makes a UV yarn. I can guarantee that some uv powder added to dying yarn will NOT work. Trust me I tried it for months! There is much more that goes into making this yarn UV, it actually doubles the dying process time and cost to manufacture. It would be much easier for us to make it without the UV. Weather or not it helps is up for debate but we have a lot of guides and customers who think it does! :dance:

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon
Bass Fishing in Oregon