Are these fish safe to eat?

S
Specialed
As I'm reading through the posts and threads I have raised concerns about the table fare of the fish.:shock: I was of the belief that these fish come from the ocean and should be pretty safe to eat. Am I dreaming?:confused:

S
SNDSLGR
(feel like I am chasing you around here)lol

They are more than OK to eat, some of the best fish in the NW imo. You will get arguments for and angainst, only from the columbia, stuff like that. Its rediculous to say you would only eat a fish from the columbia and not the willy, they move back and forth constantly.

Eat in moderation as you should with anything and you'll be fine.

F
Fish Fight
Stay away from the fatty areas of the fish and you will be fine. One wont kill you, two will make you bald and 3 will make you sterile, other than that don't worry.

F
FishFinger
Sturgeon migrate so they are not considered "resident". They eat the recently dead, often the remains of other migratory fish, They are transitory through the areas with toxin issues.

Resident fish such as bass, carp, pan fish, cat fish and such pose a great danger as they reside in the contaminated zones.

The serous problems are in the sediments of both the Willamette and lower Columbia. Most of the PCBs, Dioxin, Arsenic, and heavy metals contamination are a legacy of the Liberty ship construction and the Kaiser ship yards of WWII.

It's in the goo on the bottom and the best safety measure is to not disturb it.

Our grand parents faced a world in crisis, they did what they had to do; the contamination is the legacy our region is left with. It's impossible to dredge the length of the problem with out huge environmental and economic costs.

It may well take another Missoula Lake flood to scour all the crap out.... Glacial Lake Missoula and the Ice Age Floods

So IMHO....... Yes they are safe to eat, as with anything; in moderation.

S
Specialed
Thanks Guys! Lets go fishing...

B
BlackTalon
Safe to eat?

Safe to eat?

I have eaten several fish from the Willamette and just outside on the Columbia. Everyone has all types of negative things to say about my appearance and my intellectual abilities but nothing different than what I got before eating the fish:D

They are tasty and not hard to fix up. Do as others said and be careful with how much and which part of the fish you eat and I would say you will be fine. I have heard some comments about pregnant women and infants not eating more than a small amount but neither applies to my family. Enjoy.

Evan

Y
Yentz
They do contain mercury. Typically, the bigger the fish, the more mercury in the fish. I have heard stories of people actually getting high from eating an illegally caught oversized Sturgeon. (One of the reasons why not to break the law)

So basically, don't let anyone who is pregnant eat fish from the Willamette. Also, eat it in moderation. I wouldn't eat more than one fish per month out of the Willamette.

S
SNDSLGR
Yentz said:
So basically, don't let anyone who is pregnant eat fish from the Willamette. Also, eat it in moderation. I wouldn't eat more than one fish per month out of the Willamette.

Since this is the sturgeon forum I will assume that is what you are talking about and not bass etc...

You are kidding yourself if you think a Columbia caught sturgeon is in any way a different fish or safer to eat. NW sturgeon all live and eat in any/all of the Columbias trib's, Willamette, channel, cowlitz, etc...

Y
Yentz
SNDSLGR said:
Since this is the sturgeon forum I will assume that is what you are talking about and not bass etc...

You are kidding yourself if you think a Columbia caught sturgeon is in any way a different fish or safer to eat. NW sturgeon all live and eat in any/all of the Columbias trib's, Willamette, channel, cowlitz, etc...

I was just talking Willamette since that is where I fish. I assume Columbia is just as bad.

H
halibuthitman
I try to catch my eatin' sturgeon in tillmook bay, I just feel better about them there, probably foolin myself, who nows what kind of secret sh*t that cheese factory is pumpin into the storm drains. But heres some food for thought, some of the most prime big fish halibut spots in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska are Shemya, Kiska, and Amchitka.... all were the location of several Atomic bomb underseafloor explosions by the U.S goverment. They moniter it constantly.... halibut, sole, king crab, scallops.... all effected by this 1940's era science.... world war 2 will haunt all of us, more every year.:(

S
SNDSLGR
Yentz said:
I was just talking Willamette since that is where I fish. I assume Columbia is just as bad.

It may be but thats not my point. Lots of guys say they would only eat a fish caught from the columbia... well who knows if that columbia caught fish didn't just swim out of the Willy the day before it was hooked.

hhm, I would think those tilly bay gators would be clean as any you could find. Although there is some industry around its nothing like our downtown fishery.

H
halibuthitman
SNDSLGR said:
It may be but thats not my point. Lots of guys say they would only eat a fish caught from the columbia... well who knows if that columbia caught fish didn't just swim out of the Willy the day before it was hooked.

hhm, I would think those tilly bay gators would be clean as any you could find. Although there is some industry around its nothing like our downtown fishery.

Heck, mabe its time for the old lund to make a run over to the Ghost hole! you down? crab (mabe) grab a few fish out by the jetty and then finish up the day at the "other" Ghost hole! At 80mph its only 45 minutes from my house;)

S
SNDSLGR
halibuthitman said:
Heck, mabe its time for the old lund to make a run over to the Ghost hole! you down? crab (mabe) grab a few fish out by the jetty and then finish up the day at the "other" Ghost hole! At 80mph its only 45 minutes from my house;)

Hell yes I am down. When we going?

H
halibuthitman
let me find my keys! (kidding) lets make it an overnighter... we should move this over to pm's-