Thread: Plunking...

V.I.P.

Plunking...

I probably know what plunking is in the back of my head, but what does the word in fishing mean? I think I got it but not sure... I am gonna go to bonneville or the clack for salmon and steelhead with spin n glows with some prawns on the end. I need some tips about it since it is my first time with anything like this. There's one thing Im not clear on-do you retrieve or just let it stay, so the weight will hold the leader there, then the current makes the spin n glow spin?

I finally got my dream combo, an
    AIR IM7 and a AMBASSADUER 6500!!! Awesome. I practiced casting in my backyard, and I got it down within minutes, now my backyard aint long enough! I got it stuck in a tall tree from one side! Baitcasters can cast really far was the surprise for me. The bad thing is is the rats nests... You dont stop the line when the lure hits the water or ground, foom! and the reel is covered in line... Awesome reel and rod though, huge sale at fisherman's marine and outdoor got me the reel, same at joes for the rod.
    Last edited by FishSchooler; 07-19-2008 at 05:35 PM.

V.I.P.
    You have drag settings on the reel to prevent backlash, or bird nesting line. In the users guide it should go through it. Different amounts of weight require different settings, the book should give some decent instructions i would think...I dunno if i would commit to plunking for a day. I have never been able to present bait/lures whatever, correctly apparantly. But throwin spinners, and drifting bait, are the two best methods to fish from the bank in my opinion...And even i can catch fish regularly driftin eggs, or shrimp now. I'm sure my inexperience at plunking plays a major role in me not hooking up, but I'd like to know if anyone here is real sucessful plunkin from the bank. Maybe we just need tips or something.:think:
    Get Bent...Yo Rod That Is.

And if you aren't gettin bent, join in on this...
    1st Annual Fish OFF

V.I.P.
    I was out at tanner creek today, cause we visited multnomah falls with my grandparents, 4 fish out of the water in a short time, but i got nothing besides some rocks. They were just plunking with spin n glows, no bait.
    The peeps at fisherman's said that the people were killin the steelies plunkin with a metallic black/silver spin n glow and a prawn or eggs on the hook... I might have to try driftin at the clack.

I got the casting down great now, except casting into wind is a pain in the... I feel like im casting 100 feet or something, but the splash is like, 15 feet away from me, then a whole bunch of slack just comes whipping with the wind.

Plunkin...

Quote Originally Posted by FishSchooler View Post
    I probably know what plunking is in the back of my head, but what does the word in fishing mean?
    Any answers to "plunkin"?

I'm sure some experienced salmon & steelhead hunters have some pointers...

Please chime in.

here's a couple definitons

So there were two styles of fishing... one, plunking, where the fisherman stayed put on the river bank at one big fishing hole, usually in tide water, where the river was deeper and the current slowed by action of the high tides backing water upriver on the Columbia. Fishermen rigged the fishing line with a heavy lead sinker to hold the bottom in the current and plunked the bait out in the stream and waited for a fish to find it.

Drifting
    The other style of fishing was referred to as "drifting". Drifters used a light lead sinker and "drifted" their bait with the current. There was an ideal weight for the sinker... too light and the bait didn't sink to the fish level... too heavy and the hooks hung up on the bottom of the stream. Drift fishermen ranged up and down the river fishing the pocket holes formed by obstacles in the faster flowing current found above tidewater. A great deal of wading is necessary to get to the proper place to fish the pockets. The water had to be just right... too low meant the fish wouldn't move upstream out of the deep holes in tidewater... too high meant the fisherman couldn't safely wade in the river. Casting required skill because tree limbs hanging out over the water often blocked casting room from the bank. During a day of drift fishing the drift fisherman might cover five miles of stream... it was a style meant for the weight, strength, and judgement of an adult...

Plunking was more suitable for youngsters my age. There was room to cast and someone around to help unknot the backlash I was sure to create before much time passed. Someone would build a bonfire to ward off the cold. If it wasn't raining plunking was about as comfortable as winter fishing could get. Drift fishing was dangerous activity. Algae growing on river rock made them incredibly slippery. Swiftly flowing water about knee deep or a little higher could easily sweep a fisherman off their feet into deeper water. Sudden submersion in ice cold water could take their breath away. And it was difficult to swim dressed in fishing gear.

hope that helps

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon