Rookie salmon fishing questions

W
whirlybird
Hey folks,

I'm trying to do some bank fishing for Salmon along the Columbia. I'm using 12lb test with a sinker, a swivel, a 8lb test leader, and a Blue Fox lure (black). I've only gone a couple times, and so far I've just used shrimp for bait.

I haven't caught anything, and I was curious what you thought about my setup. If you have suggestions I would love to hear them. I'm not sure what I should try, but I would dearly love to catch some Salmon. I see them jumping around the spot where I'm fishing and it's very frustrating.

Thanks so much!! :)

B
BlackBass
I would suggest using a heavier line. If your throwing spinners a 20-30lb braid is ideal. If your plunking i would use 30-50 lb braid with at least 20-25lb leaders. You can do a google search or youtube search on how to rig up for plunking. If you need any more information feel free to Private message me. Good luck out there

M
metalfisher76
Yeah bud, your rigged to fish tribs. That big C demands a lil heavier tackle, for sure. Make sure your using a sliding weight system for plunkin. Big spin glos! #5 and 6 spinners.

Y
youngbuck307
they have said it all i think... kinda depends on if your tossing spinners or plunking...

M
metalfisher76
Don`t! Keep lookin. All you have to do is slide a swivel on to your mainline. THEN, a bead and the swivel you`ll tie to, and tie your leader to. The swivel you slid up slides up and down the main line. Tie some lighter leader to it and then your lead. This keeps the fish from feeling your gear when they pick it up and the lighter "lead line" will break 1st if you get hung up, saving you $$$ and time. Good luck.

W
whirlybird
So metalfisher, in your setup I have two separate sections of leader - 1 is on the sliding swivel, and the other is on the fixed swivel. The one on the fixed swivel has my weight on it, and is of lighter line weight so that I can break it without breaking the rest? I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

D
Derick
Personally I wouldn't use braid, go with like 25 pound mono and unless you absolutely horse it in the line will not break. A good plunking setup for salmon is a double egg loop with a whole Prawn or a single hook setup with sand shrimp run a spininglow and a corky, or you could do away with that and run an alvin with is quite popular on the Columbia for fall chinook.

M
metalfisher76
whirlybird said:
So metalfisher, in your setup I have two separate sections of leader - 1 is on the sliding swivel, and the other is on the fixed swivel. The one on the fixed swivel has my weight on it, and is of lighter line weight so that I can break it without breaking the rest? I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

No, the slider has your lead and light leader. It slides up and down your main line(from the tip of your rod to your swivel w/leader/bait). Your fixxed swivel will have your leader, spin glow, hook/bait. You`ll actually want a big corky between the 2 swivels to help casting/leader twisting issues. I didn`t mention that, I said a bead which will work but your leaders will have a tenency to wrap as you rear back to cast. The spreader helps with that issue but can cause fish to let go when they feel weight. And not every fish slams. You may get a "mouther"(S) and never know it with the spreader. Hope that clarifies:)