Osprey grabs the fish I'm fightin.

R
rippin fish lips
Ok so last summer one day floating the river fishing for trout with a buddy of mine. We were doing the hendricks to bellenger float. We got to this one whole that has produced for us every time! Well i make a cast with my thomas spoon, and start reeling and hook a nice trout, while i was fighting it, I saw this shadow on the water getting closer, i look up to see an osprey diving for a fish. I knew is was going for my fish. He did go for it however, but he missed it. I land the fish and throw it back and next cast hook a fish and he comes back for revenge! But this time he gets the fish i am fighting...so now im fighting an osprey...the only thing i could do is hold my reel and hope my line dont break and that i get my lure back. well i did get my lure back!

But my question is.... Has anyone had this happen to them on this river? Well not just this river but any other river??

Admin
Admin
Didn't happen to me but I saw it. Once at Junction City Pond and twice at E.E.Wilson pond. In all cases a bird won by breaking the line.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah, It was pretty crazy! i never thought it would ever happen to me..! Pretty cool experience though! I havent seen it happen to any one else but me. Anyone else?!

B
bigdog
I haven't had one try to take my fish before but a few years back I had one dive in the water and hit my lure. He droped it pretty fast don't think it liked the hook to much.

R
rippin fish lips
I have had some swoop down for my lures but they pulled back at the last second before hitting the water.

Anyone else??

C
cobias
Half pounders

Half pounders

A buddy of mine that is a guide told me they had it happen three times in one trip on the Rogue river fishing for half pounders ( jack steelhead ). Bird on !

R
rippin fish lips
3 times in one trip! dang! and those half pounders sure do look fun!

I would love to keep this thread going!! I'm on a mission to see how often this happens!

Has anyone one else had this happen? or heard of it? Please keep this going.

C
cwsmith
have not had it with an osprey but i have had a pair of bald eagles fishing with me at allen creek reservoir and one took off with the trout i was reeling in and started heading towards a tall tree behind me. was able to get my lure back but the mess of line in the sagebrush made for a pain and lost time fishing!

A
autofisher
I haven't had to fight the birds......I have had them swoop down and snag a fish that I just released, snag a fish that was chasing my gear, and had one take OFF with some worms once. Took two worms right out of the container...(not an eagle, raven.....nevermore)

R
rippin fish lips
I have had them steel a whole ontainer of worms from me off the dock at loon lake.

Anyone else?

M
metalfisher76
Fought seagulls on Tilly Bay. Had one take my springer eggs OFF the cleaning station, right next to me. Never had any issues with osprey.

M
michigan_transplant
I have a two pole license and had a fish on each pole a couple weeks ago at ollala lake. i got the first one in and it was small. i let it back in the water still attached to the line and fought the other one to see if maybe i had hooked General Sherman. as i was fighting the other one, with the first one swimming around my float tube waiting to be dehooked i heard a BOOOOOMMMMM!!!! i look over and ten feet away from me the osprey has dived to get my first fish. he missed but WOW, that'll wake you up quick!!!

F
Finneus Polebender
Have had plenty of Osprey go after released fish , one summer back when I did a lot of lake trollin at dexter had one that knew our boat by sight . we would give the ol pikeminnows the wood shampoo and watch those amazing birds come down and pick them up within feet of our boat! My only Bird fight came while crabbing in Waldport . With the pots in soaking I would pass the time bottom fishing off the dock . think I was around 12-13yrs old remember we use to catch many small flounder there. After unhooking a sculpin and rebaiting my hook I noticed some gulls after my crab bait bucket .Ran down the dock towards them to scare them off then went back to my pole passing my baited hook along the way .well when I picked up my pole kicked the bail over and started to whip the pole back for the cast , I felt the line peeling off between the pole and my finger . I lifted my finger turned around only to see "you guessed it a gull flying off with my bait. quickly realized my line was leaving the spool at a very rapid rate and thought heck no! grabbed the pole tight and flipped the bail over , glad I had a good grip ,huge jerk as I watched the gull nose dive into the bay . Yarded him in about 10 ft until his thrashing and sharp beak cut my line. that stupid bird spent the next hour tryin to hack up that hook , guess it got a lesson .

J
jeffcycles
On a similar note, last year I was fishing off the coast of Belize. We started our day trolling for Barracuda, but after only one fish to the boat, we decided to try for some "smaller" fish. We netted enough baitfish to cut up and then started catching all sorts of reef fish. Of course, this is where the birds come in. Hovering around us this entire time were our friendly Frigates. Every time I caught something we weren't keeping, I'd throw it up into the air and watch the aerial tactics of these birds. Never missing a fish, and able to swallow multiple fish only seconds apart made for an interesting end to a bad day of barracuda fishing!

T
Thuggin4Life
I had some seagulls at dexter picking up a plug i was casting out off the dock. Last fall we had some seagulls swarm us and pick up our herring if we didn't get it down fast enough. one got very agresive and almost got a fillet knife in its chest. running low on bait i switched to a big spinner after losing one I had just cut and put on the hook. bird on!

R
rippin fish lips
michigan_transplant said:
I have a two pole license and had a fish on each pole a couple weeks ago at ollala lake. i got the first one in and it was small. i let it back in the water still attached to the line and fought the other one to see if maybe i had hooked General Sherman. as i was fighting the other one, with the first one swimming around my float tube waiting to be dehooked i heard a BOOOOOMMMMM!!!! i look over and ten feet away from me the osprey has dived to get my first fish. he missed but WOW, that'll wake you up quick!!!

I got the same license to. but what a story! and yeah hearing those osbrey dive in when they are out of site gets me pumped up cuz there are fish there to be caught!!

N
ninja2010
happened to me at harriet in a float tube. one minute i was reeling in a teeeny trout, and the next minute my line was in the air and i was reeling in a set of flapping wings... as mentioned above, the bird won when the 4x tippet snapped.

also hooked a few seagulls and cormorants when i used to chuck crankbaits in sandy eggo. hooking seagulls always made me feel terrible coz they bleed on their pure white coats, but the cormorants freak me out, coz they're so big and powerful, they'll actually rip drag - i've always had to cut my braid for fear of losing my rod/reel.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah i would feel bad for hookign any bird. i saw a gull in florence once with a hook a little line and some split shots on the line, and he was hooked in the kneck.

F
Finneus Polebender
rippin fish lips said:
yeah i would feel bad for hookign any bird. i saw a gull in florence once with a hook a little line and some split shots on the line, and he was hooked in the kneck.

Never want to see an animal suffer , however some of the gulls develope some very bad habits "mostly thanks to humans " and in those cases Lets put it this way I havent lost any sleep.

R
rippin fish lips
Has anyone else had some type of bird grab the fish they are fightin?!