learning to bass fish

S
Stealiedan
Hi every body,
So I mostly have been trout fishing and steel head fishing and spend my days out on the middle fork and dexter area. I heard that there is some good bass fishing in that area and was wonding if any body got any good tips on fishing for bass. Technique? Could I use my trout fishing gear work for bass. Thanks ahead for the help

D
dawgchaw
Trout gear is great for bass if you use worms or jigs. You need to use stronger line if you would like to toss lures.

F
Finneus Polebender
My bass spinning rods are just a heavy trout rod w/8lb test . Go with quality and that should land all but the biggest and smartest! Landed a 10lb steelie on my bass pole w 8lb test . spose turnabout is fair play!

S
Stealiedan
what would be a good jig set up for bass fishing

I
Ifishforfood
here is my recipe for success with jig fishing for bass:

by yourself a couple packs of medium sized unpainted leadhead jigs. take them home, and paint them brown ( i use nail polish, since it has a glossy look, and is easy to use). to dry them, push the tip of the hooks into the edge of a wooden window seal, leaving the painted heads hanging down. after they dry, put them back into the packs. for bait, use half of a nightcrawler strung up the jig. you can use rubber worms, but nightcrawlers outproduce 10 to 1. cast this setup anywhere that looks " bassy", then bounce along the bottom, twitching and stopping ocassionally. i have literally caught hundreds of smallies with this technique, and it works every time. the reason for painting the jigs brown is because nightcrawlers have brownish heads, so the brown jig head with a piece of worm immitates this. you will also pick up just about every kind of fish imaginable with this setup, but this works the best for bass. good luck, and i hope you try this!

M
Metz84
Ifishforfood said:
here is my recipe for success with jig fishing for bass:

by yourself a couple packs of medium sized unpainted leadhead jigs. take them home, and paint them brown ( i use nail polish, since it has a glossy look, and is easy to use). to dry them, push the tip of the hooks into the edge of a wooden window seal, leaving the painted heads hanging down. after they dry, put them back into the packs. for bait, use half of a nightcrawler strung up the jig. you can use rubber worms, but nightcrawlers outproduce 10 to 1. cast this setup anywhere that looks " bassy", then bounce along the bottom, twitching and stopping ocassionally. i have literally caught hundreds of smallies with this technique, and it works every time. the reason for painting the jigs brown is because nightcrawlers have brownish heads, so the brown jig head with a piece of worm immitates this. you will also pick up just about every kind of fish imaginable with this setup, but this works the best for bass. good luck, and i hope you try this!

Thanks for that info. Ive got the jigs so Im gonna have to ask my old lady for her brown fingernail polish. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I ask her for it..LOL:cool:

C
cookshot
Pick up some senkos. They are a little bit more pricey than other plastics but they work when other things aren't getting hits!

C
colbypearson
Finneus Polebender said:
My bass spinning rods are just a heavy trout rod w/8lb test . Go with quality and that should land all but the biggest and smartest! Landed a 10lb steelie on my bass pole w 8lb test . spose turnabout is fair play!

went float fishing on the rogue last year got a 11lb coho on 6lb test on my 7' medium light gl2 that i use as a dropshot rod

C
colbypearson
Stealiedan said:
what would be a good jig set up for bass fishing

for pitching and casting a jig most prefer a 6'8" to 7'2" medium heavy casting rod for punching and flipping jigs a 7"4 medium heavy and above is preferred