Water level and fishing at Hagg Lake

S
Shallowbay
For the first time I was disappointed at Hagg Lake. It has been my go to spot for perch, bass, and the occasional trout for quite a while. I was out there 4 and 1/2 hours yesterday. (7:30 AM - 12:00 PM) It was cool out, there was hardly anyone there. Thought it was gonna be perfect. I tried 3 different spots. My normal spots had lost so much water that I had trouble identifying them. Most of my normal spots had turned into a mess of vegetation and mud. I got one bite off a nightcrawler and thats it. I tried rainbow and orange Powerbait, worms, a crankbait lure, and (baby bass) Fluke soft baits. The last place I was at was just getting annoying because of two boats and their wake boarders. It was like surf fishing due to the waves they were creating. It finally started raining and I decided to call it a day. I'll wait to go back after the rain can replinish the waters and it cools down a bit.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Low water is good fishing for trout! People will have 25+ trout landed within a few hours with powereggs. All you have to do is find the fish, which circulate the lake in schools clockwise (i think)

S
Shallowbay
Re:

Re:

That's good to know. Any particular color of eggs you would recommend? Thanks.

-Shallowbay

F
FishSchooler
Shallowbay said:
That's good to know. Any particular color of eggs you would recommend? Thanks.

-Shallowbay

Chartruese and lime green.
Use a egg sinker that will hold the line still.
Small hook, I use size 10 or 12, and 2 powereggs on it.
Couple holes... along the side of boat ramp A, if you dont hook a fish while casted 30ish feet out within 15 minutes, move on. Look for points too. Across the lake, when you go across the dam/past the rocky part, stop at the cove . There should be a very sandy/whitish droppoff, fish directly out from that.

S
Shallowbay
RE:

RE:

Sounds great. I appreciate the advice! I'll try it out.

-Shallowbay

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
I didn't do too bad there last week. A big 12" perch (trolling a rapala!) and a lil small mouth (4" senko). I couldn't find trout, but my buddy did find a couple trolling.

8000 trout were just released this week, and 8000 more next week, so the bite is back on!

G
gottafish
Wow, a 12" perch! All I've ever caught there are dinks.
I've found Hagg to be tough fishing for trout this year for some reason. Last year limits were easy. This year I've been skunked more times than I like to remember. Was the water level pretty low when you were there? How's the water temp?

T
The Nothing
the water level is very much low, but not as low as i've seen. Seems its dropping about 3' a week.

Went 7 for 11 there today! Caught my first 5 trout in the first hour of dawn between A and the dam. Got much harder after that. Friend of mine picked up a few small LMB at the dam during that same time.

8000 trout were dropped off monday, with another 8000 to come next week. this round of stockers are feisty lil bastids!