Alsea River fishing reports

R
rainbowfisherman
is the chinook fishing still good> Corkie and yarn?

And how bout for the cutthrought..what is my best fly bet?

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

B
beaverfan
Not sure about the chinook but pretty sure it's closed to trout fishing.

S
steelhead1
Seems like I have been under attack on just about everything I have posted on this thread,I dont know why.Probably I just take things to personally.I like to think that info that I can provide is as helpful as the posts I read from other active fishermen.a lot of rivers that I dont have first hand experience with,I will check to see if I can find helpful tidbits,and try to return the favor for others on rivers I know.Anyway,trout season is closed on the Alsea for the season,but we do accidentally hook a few in the pursuit of larger game(They seem to always get lined in the mouth,just like the salmon and steelhead:think:).Spinners have been very productive for me this year,corkie and yarn has been a hot hooker,too.( for both species of salmon).As the water is predicted to drop later this week, I think it would a good time to hit the river for some nookies.IMO:D

R
rainbowfisherman
Any updates??

S
steelhead1
river was great yesterday,rained like hell but landed eleven coho and broke off a nooker (I think it was a nooker):confused:.Probably blown now as it came up pretty quick overnight:D

M
Mad dog
nointrntrprts said:
on the hand in the gill plate!! that fish wont stand much of a chance after a couple fingers raked over the gills....

c&r is all good, as long as the fish is handled with care.. good on you for landing some pretty badass fish. please though, handle with care and they stand a chance to spawn.

While sticking your hands in the gill covers of a fish that is to be released isn't necessarily the best thing to do, it doesn't mean that fish will die! I personally know I can put my fingers in the gill cover of a fish and not come anywhere near the gills! I have seen too many salmon on the Rogue kept alive on stringers that are alive and perfectly healthy 8 hrs after being landed! I have seen this for many years! I think they are a little tougher than you guys give them credit for!

Something took a piece of this coho's gill cover off! He looks pretty healthy to me!
005-3.jpg

S
steelhead1
The fish in question swam away after a brief rivival,and as I said before it was struggling when the pic was taken.furthermore, it was my wifes first salmon and also the biggest fish she has ever landed.I know every C&R fisherman out there has had some mortality with the fish they have released,it cannot be avoided every time.So perhaps the peaple who are innocent of ever learning how to properly release fish, should be the ones casting stones.My fishing buddies and my family have the highest respect for these animals,and it hurts me to see a fish that doesn't survive because of my(or their) mishandling.Thanks mad dog,I agree that salmon are tough creature,they endure many a bonk and scrape on their incredible journey upriver. Awesome pic!That is a beaut of a coho,where did you catch him?

R
rainbowfisherman
did you catch them on a corkie and yarn? banking it?

S
steelhead1
spinners and corkie/yarn.drift boat:D

M
Mad dog
Steelhead1, I think that particular coho was taken on the Umpqua, but I can't remember for sure. :think:

R
rainbowfisherman
Any steelhead yet?

M
Mike123
rainbowfisherman said:
Any steelhead yet?

There are steelhead there now..

C
Chrome_Chaser
Did you catch any Mike??

I
Ideceivefish
New to the Alsea, wanting to head there in a few days. What's the best area to hit this time of year? (Bank access)

M
msteuck
Hit the alsea river for a couple hours this morning below salmonberry park(private property) and got some chrome steel on the bank. Sorry, but no pic. 27 inches and about 8 pounds. Caught on a all silver spinner, goin back out in the mornin to try again.

L
lilsalmon
K....going out on a limb here.....I have not fished the Alsea yet and I want to so bad it hurts....:think: I'm thinking that there must be someone out there that would take an old lady (only in age) that loves fishin and climbing banks and whatever to get to the spot.....I am still learning but I want that big one really bad and I want to do it this year...hehe.....or at least tell me where to go and whats best to use...not afraid to plead ignorance here...this is getting serious....headin out to Wirth in the morning and probably have to wait till after the drift off....I got the car and the gas.............:cool:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Hit up clemens park area, honeygrove area. You can also go right at the hatchery.

L
lilsalmon
cool....thanks a lot....marking my map right now.

L
lilsalmon
By the way...your video tutorials are excellent.....

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thanks, glad we could help. :)