Thread: barview jetty fishing

Cool barview jetty fishing

heading to tillamook coast 4th july wknd was wondering if anybody had any advice on fishing off the barview jetty what to use and what to fish for this time of year thanks in advance for any advice greatly appreciated i was also curious how the crabbings been around there taken the turkey fryer down to boil up some crab if we luck into a few keepers

Sad Jetty should be closed now........

BARVIEW JETTY REPAIR 06/15/10 - 09/30/10
    Should be closed until September... (drat!)... you can try fishing in the bay above the Jetty... or in the Surf to the North... repairs will put a lot of food into the water, bringing big fish in from the deep water and driving the 'resident' fish away from the Jetty during the repairs. If stirred up too much or if too much activity the fish will not bite. I am going to fish the South Jetty by walking in or may just go up to Nehalem and fish there. http://www.kytefm.com
    June 15, 2010 The Coast Guard has issued a proposal to establish a safety zone at the Barview Jetty in Tillamook starting today and running through Sept. 30. The jetty has deteriorated to the point that the Army Corps of Engineers has contracted to repair the jetty. The safety zone has been established due to the inherent dangers associated with such operations.

http://www.deepwaterinvestigation.com/go/doc/21/529603/PORTLAND, Ore. — The Coast Guard has issued a proposal to establish a safety zone at the Barview Jetty in Tillamook, Ore., from June 15 through Sept. 30.

The jetty has deteriorated to the point that the Army Corps of Engineers has contracted Kiewit Corporation to repair the jetty. The repairs will involve the use of a track-mounted 18,000 lb. crane with as much as 200-feet of boom. The crane will be used to move large granite boulders weighing approximately 20 to 50 tons each by lifting them up, circling them out over the waterway on either side of the north jetty, and placing them into the jetty.

Due to the inherent dangers associated with such operations, the Coast Guard is proposing the establishment of a safety zone covering all waters within 250-feet in every direction of the north jetty, named the Barview Jetty. The safety zone will help ensure the safety of work crews and the maritime public while the jetty is being repaired by prohibiting all persons and vessels from entering or remaining in the zone unless specifically authorized by the Captain of the Port or his designated representative.

I'm goin fishin tomorrow!
    Ya I believe the jetty's closed from the tower out. You can still fish the rocks before the tower though. Try sandshrimp, should work well.
    I really enjoy seeing the look on a fishes face the second it realizes how big of a mistake it made by biting my lure!

In agreement Beaverfan...
    Easy to get to, but parking may be limited due to the staging and 'off-limits' areas for the Jetty repairs. I enjoy the solitude of the South Jetty, especially when they are working on the North as large groups of fish seek shelter over there. However, if they are 'rocking & rattling' the world when placing large rocks like they did up on the Columbia South Jetty, everything goes deep and hides.
    Sand Shrimp are always a good bet, along with Clam necks and Squid pieces. Have you ever tried flinging lures up from the rocks? Works pretty good, I like using 'flutter jigs' and bounce the bottom, always a good producer.

thanks for the info guys and that sucks. born2fish55 would you mind sending a pm or let me no how to access the south jetty

I asked that same question on a recent thread and got a map or two and some directions. Here you go:
    http://www.oregonfishingforum.com/sa...tillamook.html
    "They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right." -Tagline for the Big Lebowski (And a personal motto)

ShdwmnkyX - Thank you, I was just getting ready to post when I saw your post - excellent map!

Depending on my mood, I either drive like the map shows, or ride my bike from the house, up the beach and park right at the Jetty... too far to walk all the way. If you ever see a Green on Green Mountain Bike pulling a little trailer with rod holders, that's me!

thanks again for your help guys. a bike trailer with rod holders!! how sweat is that. a friend from work said if i go out there at night not to go past the elbow of the jetty cause you cant see the waves comeing in i guess ill take his advice not very into midnight rock surfn ill post some pics if theres any to post

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    a friend from work said if i go out there at night not to go past the elbow of the jetty cause you cant see the waves comeing in i guess ill take his advice not very into midnight rock surfn
    Barview is a fantastic night fishery, but take a few trips to the Jetty in the daylight, watch the waves, and get to know the Jetty itself first. Then take a 'Good' light and a backup that is easily located (like in your pocket). Night fishing is interesting if you haven't done it before, the sounds are awesome out there. It is a 'if you hear a big wave breaking, climb up and hang on' fishery if the seas are up, but the fishing makes up for it! Have a good time!

just got back from barview today didnt fish alot but managed to get a couple crab that my friends caught on there fishn rods thenwe went night fishn i got a few bites my buddy was useing a jig and rubber worm he caught one greenling and one sea bass both very small we had a good time the fireworks out of rockaway was realy cool never been to the 4th there my girls loved the show

Fished the south jetty friday morning from my little green boat. The black rockfish were biting like crazy. Two gentlemen showed up on bicycles and climbed down on either side of the dogleg. I'm pretty sure they took home all they wanted. The wind picked up past whitecap level by noon.

Barview Jetty repairs should be completed this weekend...

With a little clean up and she's all ours again...

I have fished the South Jetty multiple times, but I must be getting old because those fish sure seem to weight a lot more now days on the way back down the beach to the parking lot!!!!

From what I could make out, it looks like (at this time) that they put some pretty steep angles for us to get down to the water on, but the top surface is flat and looks like a fairly easy walk.

I think my hand is starting to twitch at the thought of fishing the channel from the North side again.

Hi Born2Fish55,

I was fishing from my boat last week and noticed vehicle traffic at the end of the road at the south jetty. Also what looked like some sort of "work camp" about half way from the regular parking area to the south jetty. Do you know what that's about?

Maybe they already had the clean up? I was hoping someone would post when it began or when and if they needed volunteers to help... I would be more than happy to give them two or three hours of my time to help with clean up, trash, and such! Hopefully someone 'in the know' will let us know something.

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon
Bass Fishing in Oregon