Bank fishing in January?

S
silkiechicken
So I got my first gear and a license and am dying to try it out! I plan on going out this weekend somewhere. How is green peter lake at this time of year if I don't have a boat? This will be my first time with fish that aren't in my aquariums or for dinner. My mom keeps telling me not to fall in the water!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Try worms or powerbait for trout. you can get worms for free right now after it rains :D/

S
silkiechicken
I keep hearing about powerbait, would things like spinners not be ideal at this time of year? Or just harder to use? Or are spinners just a style like fly fishing?

C
chris61182
silkiechicken said:
How is green peter lake at this time of year if I don't have a boat?

The water is way-way down giving you lots of bank access. The fish are a little lethargic but they're still there and they'll still bite.

S
silkiechicken
Nice! Do you think it would be better to go there or to junction city pond?

C
chris61182
silkiechicken said:
Nice! Do you think it would be better to go there or to junction city pond?

I never fished the Junction City pond so I don't really know, but I imagine you'll probably have better luck there if it has been recently stocked.

While this is a Green Peter thread and you didn't mentioned it, I think it's worth bringing up that you should check out EE Wilson when it opens next month. The stocking schedule never lists it but they dump tons of big brooder rainbows and trophy brook trout in there for the opening.

S
silkiechicken
Yeah! I plan on trying that one out when it opens. I'm in corvallis so it's not that ar away. All I have are half a dozen rooster tails and two jigs and heard it was hard to use them there. I might need to diversify my box of stuff... didn't want to get too many things till I figured out what I was doing.

T
Throbbit _Shane
silkiechicken said:
I keep hearing about powerbait, would things like spinners not be ideal at this time of year? Or just harder to use? Or are spinners just a style like fly fishing?

Before this year i didn't believe in the powerbait, then one day i bought some green/orange power nuggets and i was hooked, i still bring worms and other things though.

C
chris61182
silkiechicken said:
All I have are half a dozen rooster tails and two jigs and heard it was hard to use them there.

Far from it, spinners work great at EE Wilson in the early season. Come mid-late summer and that changes a bit because the weeds get pretty thick in there but it can still can be done.

S
silkiechicken
Awesome! Thanks! Maybe I'll go grab a thing of it and figure out how you're supposed to use them. LOL

B
bigsteel
just roll it into a ball and throw it on your hook,,,its easy

troutdude
troutdude
Fishing at EE Wilson

Fishing at EE Wilson

Hey Sillie,

I live in Corvallis too, and have fished EE Wilson many times (as well as many other area lakes). One of my favorite rigs is:

Thill (or another brand) Slip Bobber [adjust the depth until you find fish's zone]
Small treble hook (size 14 or 16 are best)
One Orange Berkley Power Egg
One Spring Green (not chartreuse) Power Egg
and one Bare hook on the treble (but, you can put on another egg if you wish)
One small Splitshot weight about 18" above the hook

Now, here are the SECRET ingredients:

A dab of either Orange or Spring Green Berkley's Power Jelly

AND...a sprinkle of Berkley's Power Scent for trout

Plus, you can use this same set up for bottom fishing. Simply remove the Slip Bobber, and tie a barrel swivel to about 3" of 2 or 4 lb. leader with a treble hook. Then, above the swivel (on the main line) slip on a small bead. And between the bead and swivel slip on a SLIDING barrel sinker. Do NOT crimp on any splitshot.

Cast out, and let it all sink. Here is the IMPORTANT part...keep your line SLACK. A trout will come along and begin to peck and nibble at your bait. But, you won't know it until your line begins to pick up off of the water and tighten up. Just when the line is tight...SET your hook and WHAM! You will hook 'em almost every time doing that! :cool:

I have used this method at EE Wilson. But, that pond is pretty darn weedy. I prefer the slip bobber method there. But, other lakes like Olalla, Big Creek, Freeway Lakes, etc...the bottom method is KILLER!

Tight lines,

TD

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, I switched FROM Powerbait to Power Eggs last year. Powerbait gets all over your hands and is messy (it works GREAT, it's just messy). Power Eggs, however, work every bit as well and WITHOUT the mess! And there easier to put on the hook(s).