Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade imitation power bait dough?

Homemade imitation power bait dough?

does anyone know any recipes for an imitation to the berkley power dough bait....the stuff that's just a sludge and you glob onto a hook? the really messy stuff. I've got baby food jars and I'm thinking of making some home made trout bait.

V.I.P.
    I've never really heard of anyone making an imitation power bait, but I imagine if you made a dough bait like for carp and added plenty of krill scent and glitter, it might have the same effect.

I would think along the lines of some sort of cookie dough minus and egg or two. Replace what the egg would contribute with smelly jelly, maybe some smashed up night crawlers etc. Funny think to say but I would talk to your mother
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    I did see it. It jumped out of the water and i could see it out in front of me when it was almost in. So middle finger too you good sir.

I just read an article that had a couple of recipies for this. I'll dig it out for you tonight after I get the baby to sleep....

Scott

Why? Sounds like alot of work for something so readily available and cheap to get. :think:

Better to spend your time fishing. Just my $0.02.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavdad45 View Post
    Why? Sounds like alot of work for something so readily available and cheap to get. :think:

Better to spend your time fishing. Just my $0.02.
    Why? Why not! The way I look at it is any hobby related to fishing is a good hobby, whether it's maintaining the boat, tying flies, building rods, or scouring maps for new fishing holes.

Besides, who knows, maybe those Pure Fishing scientists didn't take into account some aspects that are special to trout in the PNW.

I have such a big stack of fishing books and mags that I can't find the frigging article :think:

I'll dig it up eventually. I just didn't want you to think I forgot...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by chris61182 View Post
    Why? Why not! The way I look at it is any hobby related to fishing is a good hobby, whether it's maintaining the boat, tying flies, building rods, or scouring maps for new fishing holes.

Besides, who knows, maybe those Pure Fishing scientists didn't take into account some aspects that are special to trout in the PNW.
    I would have to agree... Similar to arguing why go through all this trouble to get them to bite a hook when you can just shoot them with a bow and arrow? Cause it's fun! :dance::dance:
    I did see it. It jumped out of the water and i could see it out in front of me when it was almost in. So middle finger too you good sir.

We once called them marshmellows. Seriously we would have three or four different colors of mellows at all times. That and an inflated worm. Don't ask how we inflated them:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by McMudpuddle View Post
    We once called them marshmellows. Seriously we would have three or four different colors of mellows at all times. That and an inflated worm. Don't ask how we inflated them:confused:

Now thats an ugly image thats stuck in my head....

Chuck
    Practice C.P.R.
    (catch, photograph, release)

Koke Korn...

I flavor and color my shoe peg white corn that I use for Koke's. I took a large rubber made plastic dish that was deep and put a smaller one in side, and it the lid of the smaller one drilled holes (6) the size of those plastic film cans...each can get a different color and scent. The extra space between the large container and the small one is filled with crushed ice.....cold bait is a must. I love this stuff...everyone sharing their special tricks for catching fish. Maybe we should start a new forum "Tricks of the Trade"...hummmmm ? Here are a couple pictures for clarity...

Chuck
    Practice C.P.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutski View Post
    I flavor and color my shoe peg white corn that I use for Koke's. I took a large rubber made plastic dish that was deep and put a smaller one in side, and it the lid of the smaller one drilled holes (6) the size of those plastic film cans...each can get a different color and scent. The extra space between the large container and the small one is filled with crushed ice.....cold bait is a must. I love this stuff...everyone sharing their special tricks for catching fish. Maybe we should start a new forum "Tricks of the Trade"...hummmmm ? Here are a couple pictures for clarity...

Chuck
    :clap: That's a pretty good idea. I have though about going to Green Peter to catch some Kokes and I hear corn is the way to go. If you don't mind I may use that little invention...

Thumbs up Right on...

Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteZen View Post
    :clap: That's a pretty good idea. I have though about going to Green Peter to catch some Kokes and I hear corn is the way to go. If you don't mind I may use that little invention...
    Absolutely - enjoy, you just have to post and let us know how you did...

Chuck
    Practice C.P.R.

Experienced Member FishKiller23's Avatar
    Well heres another idea. Take some mini marshmallows and get them a little wet and roll them around in garlic powder then jar them up. Ive hooked my limit on that before.

V.I.P.
    I got a recipe:

2 cups water
    1 cup flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    Ĺ cup sugar
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    ľ pound Velveeta cheese

Place the cheese in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted.

Mix water, melted cheese, flour, cornmeal, sugar, and garlic powder together in a large mixing bowl until well blended and a heavy dough is formed.

Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a rapid bowl. While waiting for the water to bowl, pinch off enough of the dough to form a small ball and roll it until it forms a ball. Form all of the dough into balls. Drop in a few dough balls into the water at a time. Cook the balls in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then place on paper towels to dry off the excess water.

Trout will go nuts over the cheese and garlic in this dough bait. Tie on a treble hook and add one of these dough balls. Use a bobber and cast the trout bait into deep pools in the trout stream. Making your own homemade trout dough bait is a great way to catch rainbow trout and itís one of most fun rainbow trout lures available.

I made something like this while expierementing. It smellllledddd like craaaaaaaaaaap with all the garlic in it. But that was late fall so I couldn't use it. Then it went bad by spring. =(

Cheese and garlic seem to go together reaaaally well... Yummy I would say. Lol

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks a ton for the recipe, this would be fun to try - who knows :think:

Chuck
    Practice C.P.R.

V.I.P.
    No problem.Let us know if it works, then the rest of us could fight the feeshes.
    Since trout like garlic, could you like sprinkle some grinded garlic from a pier like in hagg?

V.I.P.
    Anyone tried me recipe yet?

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishSchooler View Post
    Anyone tried me recipe yet?
    I have been covertly reading this one for a while, thinking "I dunno". The other night I decided to try this recipe, and another. BARF! It smells good in the beginning, but then it all goes bad. Looks the right consistancy though. Looked really bland when I was done with the other recipe, so I also added a bunch, a whole bunch of neon green food grade dye, and glitter.:dance: My digi is on the fritz so I'll post pics of the tub i made when i can. Haven't used it yet, but the "GooberGreen" looks promising. Don't any of you take my name now,:naughty: say goodbye to Berkley!

You haven't tried it out yourself yet? It is easier than I thought it would be. Never paying 4.50 for a little can o power bait again if I even get 1 stocker at Hagg on it.
    Last edited by ArcticAmoeba; 06-27-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    Get Bent...Yo Rod That Is.

And if you aren't gettin bent, join in on this...
    1st Annual Fish OFF

V.I.P.
    BARF is what I thought, like garlic and cheese would smell good together. I haven't been trout fishing lately, only going for shad, bass, and the random fishies at the tualatin river. Not many good trout fisheries within half an hour around here.

Garlic+Cheese=X.X
    ----

GooberGreen, that's and awesome name, it's like Cavdad without the green.
    I would try some orange and pink if I had food coloring.
    Last edited by FishSchooler; 06-27-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon