Beginning Trout Angler's Tacklebox

A
AlexCrowson
I'm pretty much strictly a bass fisherman...but I'd like to take a trip up to the high lakes and hook some trout out on the lakes. All I've ever used for trout are bobber and a nightcrawler, and rooster tails. I've had luck with rooster tails, but never hooked a big one. Id like to add to my trout-slaying arsenal, and basically have to start from ground up. I'm giving myself a budget of $40 for lures/gear. I have a all the rods and reels I need (but not all I want =P

Thanks very much.

Alex

T
Troutier Bassier
Powereggs Chartruse and Pink

Then Vibrax Spinners. in Silver and Blue and Green.

And rapalas! The Floating ones in Any Patteren, But I love the Brown Trout one and the Rainbow one.

And GOLD Kastmasters.

Last edited:
K
kornphlake
I've caught more trout on worms than I have using powerbait, although everyone swears by powerbait, for lures I'd add a couple Kastmasters and a silver super duper. You can try rigging a wolly bugger behind a casting bubble, but I've never had as much luck with flies as I have with lures and bait.

My recent experiance with the high lakes in oregon isn't that you need to have the right style or color lures for the lake, any lure will work, you just have to keep switching lures so the fish are always seeing something new.

M
meluvtrout
2lb-4lb leader
4lb-6lb mainline
#10 swivels
various size egg sinkers
tiny split shots
size 6 -8-10 hooks of your choice
cheap bobbers
wedding rings (various colors)
egg patterns($1.50 a pack at craftstores)
lil cleo (gold, half and half, silver)
rooster tails
rainbow power nuggets
nightcrawlers
there you have yourself a nice tacklebox...

G
gottafish
Also a small frog pattern flatfish is a great addition.

F
FishSchooler
meluvtrout said:
2lb-4lb leader
4lb-6lb mainline
#10 swivels
various size egg sinkers
tiny split shots
size 6 -8-10 hooks of your choice
cheap bobbers
wedding rings (various colors)
egg patterns($1.50 a pack at craftstores)
lil cleo (gold, half and half, silver)
rooster tails
rainbow power nuggets
nightcrawlers
there you have yourself a nice tacklebox...

Those nightcrawlers wouldnt be very nice if you kept em free IN your tacklebox. It'll give lures a nice scent though! :D

Powereggs, Limegreen/Chartruese!
Dont forget some shrimp, roe, anise, or garlic scent (or whatever you like) to cover up whatever scents you dont want.

H
Hawk
Shallow or medium diving Rapalas or Rebels in perch or trout colors.

crawdad or shad scent................:D

F
FishSchooler
Hawk said:
Shallow or medium diving Rapalas or Rebels in perch or trout colors.

crawdad or shad scent................:D

Shad scent hawk?...........I think yer thinking about yer bassies...........:D:D

H
Hooked on fishin'
Add some Pro-Cure Trophy Trout Gel, that combined with Powerbait has gotten me and the wife many limits in the McKenzie lakes/reservoirs. We use the chartreuse or blaze orange, or a rainbow with the fluorescent colors, seems to be the magic formula!:D