fishing partner from portland

L
luv2fish
Hi.. I posted this in the steelhead fishing section as well. I live in portland area near mall 205 ( se portland ). If there's anyone who goes fishing on weekends and pick me up and drop me off . I'll pay for gas. I use to go with some guys here but they have to much wife pressure and after leaving at 6 in the morning and then finally getting your line in water at around 6:40 or 7, I'm not very glad with the idea of getting back at like 10:30 in the morning.
So if there;s anyone who's from portland and gives some time to fishing, holler me...like i said , gas is on me.

B
bir48die
Is that for bank fishing or do you want to fish in a boat?

L
luv2fish
boat is always fun but bank is arright too, i don have a boat and mostly i fish from bank but hey if somebody has boat i can share with gas on that too...lemme know

F
FishKiller23
i'll take ya... U know of any good spots? can drive a bit if needed my honda gets 35-38 MPG so I dont mind. Let me know

Alex

F
FishSchooler
Wow, your car is GOOD! :shock:
I think someone here is trying to save the environment.
*nudge nudge* :D

A
ArcticAmoeba
I drove a Cummins for a while up on 37's:rolleyes: and gears to make up for 'em. It got 30 on the highways, pretty good for a fullsize.

Raj, I'll let you know when I can bank the Columbia or Clack, and see if you can hit it with me. We could plunk on the columbia, but on the clack, I like to drift fish...I'll let ya know man.

L
luv2fish
clack is totally a drift style fishing....i agree with that except few spots here and there...clackamette etc...i drift fished clack and have steelhead before...
On columbia I usually plunk , i've a 12 foot shakespeare ugly stick but i use a big spinning gear on it with 30# main and 25# leader with a dropper of 15# ( makes it easy to get my rig out if i'm snagged ) with max 6 oz weight ( i usually throw 4 ). And slider I use alvins or toman spinners or warden's flash n go and quickfish. sometimes regular blue fox spinners in size 6 . i.e when i'm targeting chinook.
Lemme know and we'll go from there.

L
lechner
Awesome! I've been looking for some Portland area folks to go fishing with. While I don't own a car, my girlfriend sometimes let's me borrow hers. And I have a 17' canoe I'd be willing to throw into the mix.

I have to admit that I'm really quite inexperienced when it comes to salmon and steelhead. The Sandy has skunked me every time I've tried, and I think I've donated more than a few lures to that river. I'm very eager to learn the ropes though.

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are losing a lot of tackle on the Sandy, you are fishing too low, in the logs and rocks. Try a little faster retrieve if you are swinging spinners, or try using a drift float, and set them up so you can learn the depths of you favorite drifts. Once you know the contours of the riverbed, losing gear will be few and farther between. Try drifting a quality bait, like shrimp, or some proper eggs. I have a lot of luck with good bait there, but then again another member I know here, ties up some really cool jigs, and if this year had remotely normal river conditions, he would have a stocked freezer. He catches a lot of fish to say the least on the Sandy. Maybe he can shoot ya some advice for fishin the Sandy. FishFinger, you out there with some Sandy fishin tips???

F
Fishtopher
Count me in too guys!! Now that school has started, I can mostly get out on Saturdays and some Sundays, but I can get out on evening bite kinda short trips, from like 4 until 8 or 9. I dont have a boat, but...I have a Jeep Cherokee. Somebody stole all my small/medium poles that I picked up at a garage sale the other day(left my poles outside:naughty:) so all I have is Salmon/Sturg. plunkin poles, and one old med. action Eagle Claw rod from the 70's.:D
So...I have room for two people plus gear, whenever, and wherever!
Splitting gas is a must though as my jeep is a damned HOG!
Luv2fish, where do you like to plunk on the Columbia?

L
luv2fish
bonneville.....or near warrendale... at bonneville i fish from bradford island....i've had quite a few catches there....

B
bigdog
luv2fish said:
bonneville.....or near warrendale... at bonneville i fish from bradford island....i've had quite a few catches there....

Well your doing better then I'm doing hopefully you'll bring me some luck or even teach me a few tips
:pray:
CJ

B
buddah426
Fishtopher said:
Count me in too guys!! Now that school has started, I can mostly get out on Saturdays and some Sundays, but I can get out on evening bite kinda short trips, from like 4 until 8 or 9. I dont have a boat, but...I have a Jeep Cherokee. Somebody stole all my small/medium poles that I picked up at a garage sale the other day(left my poles outside:naughty:) so all I have is Salmon/Sturg. plunkin poles, and one old med. action Eagle Claw rod from the 70's.:D
So...I have room for two people plus gear, whenever, and wherever!
Splitting gas is a must though as my jeep is a damned HOG!
Luv2fish, where do you like to plunk on the Columbia?

i too have a cherokee that gets horrible mileage so i will offer this advice as i pertains to being able to afford to go fishing. climb under it and pull out the front drive line, since the jeeps have the auto hubs your front drive line is always spinning even in 2 wheel drive. i've done this with my jeep and even though it still gets pretty poor mileage (18/gal.) it was only getting 14 before that. when hunting season comes around i just climb under it and re-install the drive line and go wheeling to my hunting spots.

i hope this helps you save a little money on gas so you can afford more gear or beer :lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
That same simple trick works for 'Yotes too, as well as Dodges, Chevys, Fords, anything with the simpler auto hubs is pretty much chopping you down with out even knowing it. Also saves wheel bearings in Toyotas at least. Friend went 75,000 miles without replacing wheel bearings, and without servicing the whole IFS front end. Minus fluids. He only changed the bearings, and did basic service to the front end because he "just forgot about it." Crazy how the little thing like that will help reduce wear, and cost of ownership by not just pennies, but percentages!

B
bigdog
yeah got one of them jeeps to picked up a 89 with a rebuilt 4.0 that only has 72,000 on the rebuild so hoping to get a lot longer life out of her

F
FishSchooler
We have a 17 year old toyota camry xle, has something like 200000 miles on it, still runs fine and gets something like 25 miles a gallon! We just had to replace the batts cause they died over the half year period it sat still.

F
Fishtopher
buddah426 said:
i too have a cherokee that gets horrible mileage so i will offer this advice as i pertains to being able to afford to go fishing. climb under it and pull out the front drive line, since the jeeps have the auto hubs your front drive line is always spinning even in 2 wheel drive. i've done this with my jeep and even though it still gets pretty poor mileage (18/gal.) it was only getting 14 before that. when hunting season comes around i just climb under it and re-install the drive line and go wheeling to my hunting spots.

i hope this helps you save a little money on gas so you can afford more gear or beer :lol:

So, uhh, I kinda pride myself on my shade tree mechanicness(another new word...add em up thats 4 so far:yay::dance:) and I can't figure out for the life of me how come I never thought of that before.:doh: Thats the coolest thing since rubber worms.:clap::clap::clap: I thank you kind sir!:D

D
deadnbrkn84
I'm down

I'm down

Well I'm new to fishing up hear but would love to go out with some people from the area. I've fished for years, just never up hear and would be down to drive. I've got an 07 corolla s so it get's like 30-35 so gas would be cheap (a lot better then my old 1 ton chevy on 38" swampers that got 8mpg). So if anyone wants to get together I'm heading out this sat early like 4:30-5ish and I live in SE pdx let me know

J
jus4dahalibut
Fishing in Newport for fishing in SE AK

Fishing in Newport for fishing in SE AK

My son and I are here in Newport till 8/6 & looking to do some halibut/salmon fishing on your boat for fishing in Southeast AK. Let me know! Thanks!