Coho salmon on the Columbia river

O
OnTheFly
Sounds like everyone's on the starting blocks waiting for the gun. (or rain) I haven't targeted Silvers in a while but from what I've experienced in the past it's a bit early for the Clack and EC. Tell me something I don't know. Big C? Sandy? What? Help me out here Kodiak:think:

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
OnTheFly said:
Sounds like everyone's on the starting blocks waiting for the gun. (or rain) I havn't targeted Silvers in a while but from what I've experienced in the past it's a bit early for the Clack and EC. Tell me something I don't know. Big C? Sandy? What? Help me out here Kodiak:think:

Sandy :cool:

K
Kodiak
Osmosis and others seem to think the Sandy will have a much bigger run this year. My personal expierience starting in '92 is this...during this full moon set take your rod and go down to the mouth of the clack at the park where it dumps into the willy. The last three hours of daylight, sit and watch, when the fish start rolling, they are here, and typically show the first week of august, generally bigger nate bucks, my biggest almost 20. when that happens throw 3" copper spoons fish 'em just a hair on the quick side, they get hit like a ton of bricks..when they get hit..and thats the key.

B
beaverfan
Oh man I just started drooling!

O
OnTheFly
Kodiak said:
Osmosis and others seem to think the Sandy will have a much bigger run this year. My personal expierience starting in '92 is this...during this full moon set take your rod and go down to the mouth of the clack at the park where it dumps into the willy. The last three hours of daylight, sit and watch, when the fish start rolling, they are here, and typically show the first week of august, generally bigger nate bucks, my biggest almost 20. when that happens throw 3" copper spoons fish 'em just a hair on the quick side, they get hit like a ton of bricks..when they get hit..and thats the key.

I am literally 10 minutes away from Clackamette Park. You know, I just may have to check that out. How often do you get up here?

L
luv2fish
silvers are here for sure....

O
OnTheFly
luv2fish said:

Hey luv2fish, I've got a feeling this years run is gunna be big! I was out with Coho Charters from Illwaco 2 weeks ago and the entire boat limited in 2 hours. Irishrover and his wife went out of Newport before that and slayed them. Couple good rains should seal the deal.:dance:

K
Kodiak
luv2fish said:

Do tell...did you go down to the park and see them?

P
plunkme
ill hit the mouth of the clack anyday as long as i dont work during that evening but the anymorning is good to me let me know if anyone needs a fishing buddy ill be glad to join

T
Troutier Bassier
Full Moon Tonight ;)

L
luv2fish
Kodiak said:
Do tell...did you go down to the park and see them?

yes, they were not many last night but i saw few fish atleast 4-5 jumps and splashes

the other evening i saw one guy catching 6-8 pound silver at bowling alley..he saw me coming and tried to rush the fish in the sack but in his over hush hush rush ...lol...he dropped the fish down and i got to see it....he was not very happy and was not welcomiong my questions and so i left him alone....but yes it was a silver....i even asked if i can take pic but he didn't let me

O
OnTheFly
Good Grief! :rolleyes: The mind set of some people. He must have been doing something illegal.

O
osmosis
like almost everyone else that fishes the bowling alley hole. that is one of the worst snagging spots on the whole clackamas.

T
Troutier Bassier
I have a feeling this is gonna turn out to be that 250 Post Coho Thread.

K
Kodiak
Watch how big the gillnet thread gets...It will probably stay alive until this thing passes, its how we are all communicating right now.

L
luv2fish
OnTheFly said:
Hey luv2fish, I've got a feeling this years run is gunna be big! I was out with Coho Charters from Illwaco 2 weeks ago and the entire boat limited in 2 hours. Irishrover and his wife went out of Newport before that and slayed them. Couple good rains should seal the deal.:dance:

its certainly is and i just can't wait....i like silvers for there "flying skill"....and that you can keep atleast 2-3 depending where your fishing.

i've 3 cabins reserved on 3 different places from astoria down...each for 2 nights.....so you can see how prepared i'm :)....well my wife won't let me...but i'm just ready to go and wait for them sitting in my cabin.....lol....

Last edited:
T
TXfishingguy
Man, you guys are getting me excited to come up and visit.

I have caught kings and sockeye in Alaska but that was 5+ years ago. Can't wait to add another species to my anadramous species list.

A couple questions.
In Late August on the Clack and Sandy, What size spinner should I throw? How do you fish it? Low and slow or high and fast?

Another, what do you do with the yarn, corky, pencil lead, etc?

I'm not used to all this stream fishing in texas. I'm more of a saltwater flats fisherman.

Thanks guys. Ya'll are tons of help!

B
beaverfan
Let it Rain!

Let it Rain!

Woke up from my afternoon nap to the sound of raindrops! Channel 12 news says the PDX area could get 3/4-1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours! Bring on the Coho. I'm headed out to buoy 10 on Thursday, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

K
Kodiak
beaverfan said:
Woke up from my afternoon nap to the sound of raindrops! Channel 12 news says the PDX area could get 3/4-1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours! Bring on the Coho. I'm headed out to buoy 10 on Thursday, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Booyah!!!!:yay::yay:

O
osmosis
good timing too, they should be showing up any day