Lakes Green Peter Reservoir Fishing Reports

C
capblack
Yehh, I think it would be crowded with 3 guys, but 2 adults with one of my daughters in the middle, will be just fine. Im thrilled with the boat. We were on the water for about 11 hrs, and only ended up with a very small puddle of water in the middle. I thought the motor was going to act up when we first took off from the dock, but I found out it works better with the vent cracked on the gas cap. Duhh. Thanks again, Brian
frodog said:
That sounds like a good day glad to hear that old boat still has it.

C
Charlie_merrifi
I could not find a map of the lake and ramps. Hmm

F
FishTy
I was out there with the downriggers on saturday. and we didn't touch a koke either! all the kokes were showing up on edges down about 200 plus feet and we could not get them to bite! either! ended up with a few trout nice day on the lake!

O
osubaseball22
hello everyone. i am not from oregon but i do go to school at osu. i am really into fishing back in idaho and i want to fish here to. i have tried out green peter twice and got skunked both times. first time we had boat troubles so that didn't help but the second time we were out there and fish were rising but we couldnt catch anything. we talked to some guys that we out on the water with us and they said to use wedding rings. i have been reading these boards now and am wondering if someone could show me how to set up a pole. i dont have a down rigger so ill have to use lead weights. pictures would be nice if you could.

C
Cannon
Green Peter Map

Green Peter Map

Here is a link to a map for Green Peter. I fished there Sunday and came away with 18 kokanee and 1 rainbow. I fished it Monday in the bad weather and came away with nine in the boat not counting a bunch of rainbows that were thrown back.
The wind doesn't usually kick up until the afternoon. If you fish the arms instead of the main body of water you will be fine until the wind dies down.
The fish are found in the top 30' of water right now so down riggers are not a must. Chartreuse worked good in the morning, Purple mid day and pink in the afternoon. I use procure scented corn. crayfish was the hot scent with garlic #2.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Great thanks where were you fishing and were you trolling

C
capblack
it will be a lot of trial and error, but nows the time to fish, if your not using downriggers. what I do is tie a snap swivel to the end of my main line 10 or 12 lb should be enough, then clip the end of a banana weight opposite the chains to that, then your flashers, rudder first, or a dodger, then snubber if your fishing for kokes, then 12 to 18 inches of leader, then spinner of choice. wedding rings are a good bet. if your going around 1 mile per hour, you should go down around 1 ft per pull with a 4 oz chain weight, but i prefer using smaller weights. and dont do this with an ultra light spinning rod. you will need a medium to heavy rod, with a good open faced reel. I also like to use 12 or 18 pound lead line. it will get you down without having to drag the heavy weights back in. you could also try divers. as far as colors, depending on depth, red, orange, yellow, green and blue in that order, with blues being the deep water colors. it will be a lot of trial and error. if you have a depth finder, just watch the depth when you get snagged, and youll know how deep your running, good luck, Brian

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

This will tell you a lot of what you need to know (at least the basics). And, you can attach a banana weight to your main line, and then the rudder, flashers, etc.

I use a 7' light action casting rod and a level wind reel. Simply getting your line out 100' behind your boat will work well. You can count the revolutions of the reel, as you let line out. When you get into the strike zone...simply let your gear back out the same number of turns (revolutions), and you'll be right back into the strike zone.

For the lure at the end...I like a 1/2 hot pink and 1/2 red body wedding ring. Another favorite is 1/2 green and 1/2 black. You'll want to add a bit of worm on the hook for trout. If you want kokes, then add the worm PLUS 2 kernels of white corn.

BTW, it is still early in the season. Most fish will still be in the top 30' of water. So, you should NOT need any weight. But, if you don't get any bites on the surface...try a 1/2 oz. weight. If still no bites, go w/ 1 oz, etc. till you get to their depth.

P.S. Do you know what you call a genius on the U of O campus?

A visitor! LOL :lol::lol:

Last edited:
C
Cannon
Charlie_merrifi said:
Great thanks where were you fishing and were you trolling

I was trolling the shoreline from the first ramp down towards the dam.

D
DontTaxMeBro
Hey OSU...welcome. If I were you, I would check out Olalla Reservoir, just outside of Newport. I think it is closer to you than Green Peter and is a much better lake. I caught an 8+ Pund Steelie there a couple of weeks ago.

troutdude
troutdude
DontTaxMeBro said:
Hey OSU...welcome. If I were you, I would check out Olalla Reservoir, just outside of Newport. I think it is closer to you than Green Peter and is a much better lake. I caught an 8+ Pund Steelie there a couple of weeks ago.

While it is true, that there are some surplus steelies in Olalla--the distance is about the same either way (about an hour to each from Corvallis/OSU). I live in Corvallis and have fished both.

R
Ray
What a day on the lake! I hit the water around 9:30 this morning and it was flat as glass. I took off out of thistle creek and the water was good and high so launching was a breeze. I rigged up a wedding ring with just a egg sinker holding it down and a small chunk of worm and corn. I worked the edges heading out towards the dam about 60 yards from shore. In the first 5 minutes I had two keeper rainbows. kept the same coarse for most of the day going back and forth between the launch and the dam. I pulled in 11 koke 4 chinooks and 10 plus trout that got pitched back. I must have lost 20 more fish, as they would hit the worm but bite it off just before the hook. Could not get them to hit it with less then a inch of worm trailing the hook. The wind came out of nowhere around 4 and stired things up more then my little 12ft boat likes so I called it a day. Probably a good thing though as even my eye lids are sun burned.:)

C
capblack
sounds like you had a great day. i will be heading back this saturday to fish from 6 am until i can't handle it anymore. I also have a 12 ft boat, are you running a fish finder, or just trollling around? Brian

R
Ray
I do have a fish finder, but did not use it yesterday. I just bought this boat last summer so I am new to the whole trolling lake scene. Half the time I am not to sure what I am doing but sometimes I stumble on something that works.

C
capblack
sometimes its better to have luck than skill. maybe ill find some in the morning. i was out last weekend, so i have a good idea of there whereabouts, and depth, but i dont have a fish finder on my boat yet. wish me luck, Brian
Ray said:
I do have a fish finder, but did not use it yesterday. I just bought this boat last summer so I am new to the whole trolling lake scene. Half the time I am not to sure what I am doing but sometimes I stumble on something that works.

C
Charlie_merrifi
What type of corn

C
capblack
if anyone talks about corn for kokanee its white shoepeg. they always have it at the roths in stayton. some places dont carry it, but find it, no substitutions. Brian
Charlie_merrifi said:
What type of corn

R
Ray
capblack said:
if anyone talks about corn for kokanee its white shoepeg. they always have it at the roths in stayton. some places dont carry it, but find it, no substitutions. Brian
It was shoepeg corn. I buy it at the little market on the right leaving sweet home heading towards foster. Its right up front next to the bait box. I hit it again today but did not fair well. The wind was a real issue and I could hardly keep the boat strait and go slow enough to troll. Owell, maybe next time.

C
capblack
what time were you on the water? Im going to hit it super early in the morning and see if i can't trick a couple kokes into the cooler. Brian

C
capblack
6:30 am until 6 pm. 8 fatty kokes in the cooler, lost at least 10-15 after hooking, they were biting almost all day long. go get em. Brian

Top Bottom