Trojan Ponds

N
n8r1
I looked on the ODFW website and saw that the Trojan Ponds were recently stocked. I called in and confirmed that they were stocked on Wednesday, 3/31.

So...anybody want to give any information about the Trojan Ponds? What works? Where to go? What to avoid? I'll probably just bring along the usual arsenal of trout bait and lures, but would love some insite since I've never been there.

Also, growing up in Portland and hearing as a kid all the problems that the Trojan Nuclear Plant had about radiation leakage and other bad stuff in the 1980's, I am a little worried I might catch a "mutant fish" with 3 eyes or 2 tails :)

Last edited by a moderator:
N
n8r1
No responses, but that's ok, I figured it out. :)

Limited in about 90 minutes using pink power eggs. The first 4 fish were all caught on the same two eggs. I love those things!

Weather was crummy, but when you're "catching" it doesn't really matter.

By the way, this is a great place to take a young kid who is just learning to fish. Lots of wide open casting areas, nice people everywhere, and not a lot of debris on the bottom to snag. And if you get there soon, there are a lot of fish too!

L
lilsalmon
They look healthy...unless you clipped one tail off and covered an eye....:lol:

Never heard of Trojan pond...have to google that....good job

M
mthoodrider
Fished there last evening. Caught our limit and threw back the ones with 3 eyes:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Used green and pink powereggs.

N
n8r1
lilsalmon said:
Never heard of Trojan pond...have to google that....good job

It's really easy to get to. If you're in the Portland area take Highway 30 North, and it's about 45 minutes away, right off the highway on the right. If you're in SE Portland it might be quicker to take I-205/I-5 and go over the Lewis & Clark bridge, you may have to mapquest it to be sure.

M
mgdguy
Thanks for the report! It does look like a good place to take kids - which I'm looking for.

How were you fishing the power eggs? Bobber?

N
n8r1
mgdguy said:
How were you fishing the power eggs? Bobber?

I was fishing them about 18 inches off the bottom with a small barrel sliding weight. 2 eggs was plenty to keep them afloat.

L
lilsalmon
hmmmm coming to Portland tomorrow to help my son move.....not getting the uhaul until 1 pm....wonder what I could fill my time with in the morning? Gonna mapquest and I bet I will find something to do....:dance:

M
mthoodrider
lilsalmon said:
hmmmm coming to Portland tomorrow to help my son move.....not getting the uhaul until 1 pm....wonder what I could fill my time with in the morning? Gonna mapquest and I bet I will find something to do....:dance:

Good luck!!

G
GDBrown
It's a great place to catch all kinds of fish. There are panfish and bass in the pond as well. While the pond on the south side of the road is stocked with trout in the spring, the north side pond has some really large CARP! I have seen them when they are spawning and almost impossible to catch but it is fun to sit and watch. I like going to the ponds on warm summer evenings and fly fishing for trout or panfish. Lots of fun.

GD

N
n8r1
GDBrown said:
It's a great place to catch all kinds of fish. There are panfish and bass in the pond as well. While the pond on the south side of the road is stocked with trout in the spring, the north side pond has some really large CARP! I have seen them when they are spawning and almost impossible to catch but it is fun to sit and watch. I like going to the ponds on warm summer evenings and fly fishing for trout or panfish. Lots of fun.

GD

Thanks for the heads up! There were dozens of people fishing on the south pond but not a soul on the north one. I just assumed that all the fish were on the south pond only.

L
liquidplumber
Don't know if they are this year but sometimes they throw some leftover steelhead in too.Bobber 3ft leader and sand shrimp.Water is like chocolate milk right now but when it clears up it's not a bad little pond.And believe it or not there is also bass in it.Boats ok No Motors period.Good luck!

L
lilsalmon
I didn't make it there Monday when in Portland.....the weather was really nasty and windy....it was fun driving a Uhaul through downtown in rush hour though.....I love adventures....