Spinners on the Clackamas

M
meluvtrout
Bohemian said:
Used a bobber. Got another one this morning before work. Used a #4 brass spinner. Got it on the second cast right at sunrise.

Good job Bohemian! :clap: Were you running spinners under a float?

B
Bohemian
Nope, I didn't use a float with the spinner.

Thanks

M
meluvtrout
Bohemian said:
Nope, I didn't use a float with the spinner.

Thanks

Oh, I see those were two different trips...:)

B
Bohemian
meluvtrout said:
Oh, I see those were two different trips...:)

I edited the post to make it a little clearer...thanks.

P
plunkme
im heading to barton park for some camping for the weekend probably fish friday evening and all day sat anyone with experience want to come and teach me their techniques with drifting and or spinning? :D i just bought some spinners from bc today overall nice people built me some spinners right away because they didn't have any

B
Bohemian
Yes, another question...

Yes, another question...

With the extremely hot weather we are having, does the Clackamas get too warm to fish effectively? Do spinners do better than bait when the water gets warm? -- I think I read something about this on this site, but can't find it now.

Thanks

Y
youngbuck307
o bill must of been in there then.... maybe ill see if he isn't busy when i go in there i want some size 4 but he never has them anymore... but from what i have been told its a lil to warm for them right now but not like you dont have any chance just a lot harder!!!! i was told to just hold out on the tribs right now and try for the big C...... going SAT and now monday too...... im so about to get my first fish i can feel it

P
plunkme
:shock:

:shock:

well i took some of my BC spinners outside today to see how it would work in my pond out back and it seemed to work pretty well i put a chartreuse bc #3 in my pond check out the action for a few minutes and it swam fine until i stuck a black #3 in gave it a few swims and bam fish on! man hold and behold a koi hitting a black #3 spinner i swear these things aren't aggressive either but i have a good feeling for this weekend when i head out to barton park, oh BTW the black spinner ended up with some chipped paint on body is it common with other people to have chipped painted after a fish hits its on a BC spinner?

oh yea one more thing does anyone use a leader with spinners? my mainline is 15lb pline cxx i wonder if the steelhead will be too line shy to attack my spinners i heard some people us a 24" floro leader any opinions?

Last edited:
M
meluvtrout
dude, you're crazy! leave the poor Koi alone! :)

Y
youngbuck307
i would want to be going with something a lil lighter waight for them and with the water how it is. I would think it would really help. Maybe just blood knot if it if your not haven problems with line twist... or use a small black swivle

O
osmosis
it's REALLY low, I'd run #2 spinners in all black or black bodies with tarnished brass blades. maybe #3's at the largest.
Right now should be the time to bust out the 1/8oz floats and tiny black jigs.

With the warm water, spinners, spoons, jigs, and drift gear should be your best bets. The water is in the middle 70 degrees, ideal bait water is 47 degrees and colder.

S
steelhead_stalkers
osmosis said:
Right now should be the time to bust out the 1/8oz floats and tiny black jigs.

I like your thinking! :dance:

Y
youngbuck307
I need to pick up a spinning rod all i have is a bait caster and i just can't toss the light stuff very well on it any ideas other than new rod???

O
osmosis
check your brake, other than that you might try lighter line. What reel do you use?

You know how it is steelhead stalkers, not enough current to drift well in a lot of the holes, time to switch to floats.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
A daiwa Terria on a 9'6 IM8. I have been getting better at it but think it is 10lb ultra green right now. could be 12 though

O
osmosis
if the tierra is the low profile caster that I'm thinking it is, you should have no problem getting all the way across the clack with a 3# spinner. Get that brake dialed and yell at your thumb until it gets it's act together!
Might try #8 UG thats what I run on my Revo's for the clackamas and can get pretty dang far.

Y
youngbuck307
Yea its the one ur thinking of lol i got it with my tax money lol found out its not about how much ur stuff cost but how u use it lol.... and yea thumb still needs some work.... back to the park i go lol

A
adambomb
100 posts!!

100 posts!!

wow, this has turned out to be a very educational thread! thanks to all who have contributed.

Y
youngbuck307
what is the most replies for one thread??? dont know if i have seen to many over a 100.

F
Fishtopher
Theres a 250 post coho thread from last year in "Fishing in General", "Salmon Fishing".

Crazy stuff in there.