X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to an ODFW biologist...

stupid.

Comment

I believe the best way to describe my feelings would be… Flabbergasted!

The letter is simply beyond ''What the ---- ''

So much for access!

Comment

I guess that you guys aren't seeing the humor, nor the irony, in the letter. The letter is a "tongue-in-cheek" response to what we, as fish and game consumers, are up against year to year. With seemingly more and more regulations imposed upon us, as time marches on. The regulations becomes more and more complex, nearly every year. This, in short, is what the letter addresses <pun intended>. It's the "little man", versus the government regulatory machine.

Comment

Originally posted by troutdude View Post
          I guess that you guys aren't seeing the humor, nor the irony, in the letter. The letter is a "tongue-in-cheek" response to what we, as fish and game consumers, are up against year to year. With seemingly more and more regulations imposed upon us, as time marches on. The regulations becomes more and more complex, nearly every year. This, in short, is what the letter addresses &lt;pun intended&gt;. It's the "little man", versus the government regulatory machine.
          oh I have no problem seeing the goal of the letter, I consider it stupid because to be funny would require that marine biologists and other scientists working to monitor and understand native species populations and ecosystems are part of the problem. I reject that premise.

Their work is critical to maintaining strong populations of the fish, birds, mammals and other critters that many of us love to see in the wild and occasionally harvest and consume, but only in a sustainable, regulated manner. I value the dedication and hard work of scientists at ODFW, NOAA, and other organizations plus all the volunteers at the local level. cheers, roger

Comment

I am 200% with Roger on this one. There is zero question in my mind that most biologists working for the state and fed are just as unhappy at the state of affairs as any of us are. Their ingenuity and efforts are limited not by their lack of trying, but by the political manipulation of their managers and local politicians. The people on the ground who know what they are doing and trying to make a difference are stomped into submission by the narcissistic jerks elected or appointed to the highest level of incompetency. Frankly, as anglers we do not do near enough to influence policy or to improve local habitat. Admittedly, it has been years, since I worked on a local habitat project. Just as guilty as anyone here. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Full disclosure, I am not and never have worked for fisheries or wildlife or any government entity. I am just a guy who likes to catch fish

Comment

No, troutdude, I fail to see the humor but I do see the irony in the letter. My perspective is simply that attitudes such as that do exist. I have no problem with ODFW. But, I will never become complacent concerning their political determinations. Once politics, religion, greed coupled with elite separatism influence scientific research and findings the result will always be corrupt and contaminated.

I remember one particular blunder (40 years later) that has become an anecdotal foot note in history. This is one of several biologist / political determinations that became law, regardless of scientific fact;

New York State Fish & Game, with the help of biologists and conservation groups( Bambi Lovers) banned deer hunting at Seven Lakes Drive State Park and the surrounding park systems along the Interstate corridor. There-by causing a massive deer die off by starvation the next few years. The deer population expanded the first year due to no bucks being harvested. The second year saw a dramatic increase in auto fatalities due to massive deer population increase. The third year brought on famine, disease starvation and death. It was said that 90% of NewYorks deer population gone. Anecdotal, yes, but many of us saw it happen.
                Connecticut has a similar problem due to environmental biologists coupled with Bambi Lovers.

Full disclosure, as Aervax did, I believe in ''Catch as catch can!'' And science to pass the art of angling to future generations.

...And about that little yellow-legged frog? Fantastic bait for pike and bass! We couldn't get enough of them the last time we fished in Northern Quebec.

Comment

Loving the discourse; and what not. Cannot agree with you more. Just wanted to see, where this thread would go.

I've nothing but kudos, for the biologists (and others) at ODFW. They really do, great work! And have been more than helpful, friendly, courteous, knowledgeable, and more--each and every-time that, I've spoken to any of them. Whether in the field, indoors, or at activities such as Youth Outdoor Day. A TRULY AMAZING EVENT!!!

So keep up, the great work one & all. Thank you.

P.S. The only thing that I found funny; was they way that the author mimmicked the various reg's and costs and such. But then I pondered, its underlying intent. 10-4?
                  Last edited by troutdude; 04-18-2017, 03:24 AM. Reason: added comments to clarify

Comment

I thought it was damn funny and creative and reflects the frustration people have with complicated regulations of any government bureaucracy.

People get up in arms at humorous pokes to something they hold dear or strong beliefs. See how upset, outraged, and combative people get at humorous (to someone) posts of a favored political candidate, yet get a great laugh at a humorous post of the opposition candidate, atheists laughing at religious humor, religious folks laughing at atheist humor, Texans laughing at Oregonians , etc. I laugh at ALL of them. If it's funny, it's funny. Lighten up, enjoy a good laugh when you can. It's good for you and will usually take the tension out of your ass.

I appreciate the necessary work and dedication of biologists as well, but I viewed this as a poke at continuous complications of all government regulations, fees, and taxes.

I got a chuckle from it. Thanks for posting it!

Comment

Meh. It was funny the first time. I've seen it.....5 times now.

That said, BT is right about people's inability to laugh at things they are attached to.

Face it: Fishing is unsustainable. So are people.

The thing that is really funny is that from the point of view of the letter writer, they are objecting to having such hurdles and obstacles to access public land, by imposing the analogous conditions on access to their own private property. And the blowback is against the property owner.

Private property itself is unsustainable at some point, I guess. And largely a fiction, today.

Comment

Well, EXCUUUUUUSE me but I though it was hilarious!

Of course, I am not a government employed bureaucrat and never have been.

Comment

Originally posted by stanster View Post
                          Well, EXCUUUUUUSE me .
                          I thought that you looked a lot like, Steve Martin!

Comment

ROFLMAO!!! The only celebrity I have ever been accused of looking like is Tommy Chong. Since I am an elderly white guy, I still can't figure that one out at all. I'm not a 420 fan, but I took it as a compliment.

Comment

LOL Tommy is a very intelligent dude man. Know whud I mean Vern?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstriper View Post
                                Meh. It was funny the first time. I've seen it.....5 times now.
                                Over the last couple of years, this site being one of the places.

And the property owner who wrote the letter is a friend of the person he wrote it to.

Comment

Working...
                                X