Hi from Yachats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Yachats

Hi all, my name's Chris and I recently moved from NE California (Chester/Lake Almanor) to Yachats, Oregon for a new job in Waldport. When it comes to fishing, I became obsessed with it since I was five years old and haven't looked back. I love fishing from my kayaks (Hobie Revo 13, Ocean Kayak Trident 15) on open water, but am always game to hoof it on foot for the rivers, surf fish the beaches for perch, or hop onto a boat when invited. I fish for just about everything, but over this last month I've focused almost entirely on steelhead and did pretty well, considering I'm foreign to all of the rivers up here (10 for 12 since Feb 18 ). With winter steelhead season effectively over starting today, I'm prepping gear for spring-run Chinook salmon.

I've lurked around this forum a bit and it's provided a trove of helpful information for someone new to the area. Thanks for that! I look forward to contributing to the knowledge base as I become more familiar with the fisheries up here.

You'll like the Alsea in the fall. Great opportunity to fish for salmon from your kayaks throughout the bay and tidewater.

Comment

Welcome to OFF. Hope to see some reports, and pics.

Tight lines,

TD

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I caught my biggest redtail surfperch ever from Yachats a few years ago. Measured close to 20" in length and burned drag from the reel when I hooked it. Had no idea what it was until I landed it!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah C_Run, I've been researching the Alsea salmon fishery and I can't wait to get into it!

Originally posted by mustardthetrout View Post
          Welcome to the forum. I caught my biggest redtail surfperch ever from Yachats a few years ago. Measured close to 20" in length and burned drag from the reel when I hooked it. Had no idea what it was until I landed it!
          Holy crap, 20 inches!? That's a monster redtail! I've caught a few nice ones here lately, but nowhere near that size. I stuck a 14.25 last night during the incoming tide on a Berkley Gulp sandworm.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman View Post
            Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah C_Run, I've been researching the Alsea salmon fishery and I can't wait to get into it!

Holy crap, 20 inches!? That's a monster redtail! I've caught a few nice ones here lately, but nowhere near that size. I stuck a 14.25 last night during the incoming tide on a Berkley Gulp sandworm.
            That's the way to do it! What's your usual setup for perch fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by mustardthetrout View Post

That's the way to do it! What's your usual setup for perch fishing?
              25 pound mono leader with two dropper loops, #4 baitholder hooks, and the 2" Berkley Gulp sandworms in camo. 1-2 ounce pyramid or coin sinker on the bottom of the leader, depending on current. Pretty basic surf leader type of setup, all connected to my steelhead rod and 10 pound main line. I love those Gulp sandworms: they stay on the hook very well and the perch love them. Sometimes if the bite is slow, I'll tip each hook with a small live sandcrab to make a sandworm/sandcrab cocktail, and that'll really get the perch going.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman View Post
                Sometimes if the bite is slow, I'll tip each hook with a small live sandcrab to make a sandworm/sandcrab cocktail, and that'll really get the perch going.
                The full meal deal!

Comment

Working...
                X