Spinners: replacing trebles with singles???

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Questions to anyone that has replaced the treble hook with a single hook on smaller spinners (1/4 oz and below).

Have you noticed a big decrease on hook-sets?
Did it improve your ability to release the fish in good condition?

I was fishing spinners at Detroit this weekend, and the trout were absolutely crushing the lure. Typically they were getting 2 or three of the points in their mouth. The largest one (about 12") hit it so hard on all three that one sank in to the bottom jaw, I had great difficulty removing the hook and I could not release it as a result. (I use a floating catch basket to give them plenty of revival time, but didn't help this one).

I typically practice C&R for trout, occasionally keeping a few for the smoker, so it is important to me that I minimize the impact on the fish, but it is a moot point if I eliminate/reduce my ability to catch them with that effort.

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Admin
Admin
Fishnbuck;n599878 said:
Have you noticed a big decrease on hook-sets?
Did it improve your ability to release the fish in good condition?

Yes and yes.

Reactions: Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Thank you for the response, it doesn't make the decision easier, but you confirmed my suspicions. Do you match the size of the replacement hook to the gap on the treble, or do you go larger?

C_Run
C_Run
Fishnbuck;n599881 said:
Thank you for the response, it doesn't make the decision easier, but you confirmed my suspicions. Do you match the size of the replacement hook to the gap on the treble, or do you go larger?

I've only done this with larger blue foxes and spoons for salmon and steelhead. I always use a larger hook than one comparable to one of the three on the treble. Usually gets them right in the jaw. Do you give yours a little bend to the side? That helps, too.

Admin
Admin
No Title

Fishnbuck;n599881 said:
Do you match the size of the replacement hook to the gap on the treble, or do you go larger?

• photo30863.jpeg
Reactions: Fishnbuck and EOBOY
Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Great example, thanks. I have been skimming the Yakima web site, and they offer a single hook option as well (although providing both is even better, they should take a cue from Blue Fox)

C_Run
C_Run
I guess they give you the single as an option because it is required in some waters. I always swap them out for the treble right away when I buy them. A cautionary note. I use a lot of Gamakatsu Siwash hooks and they are very easy to squeeze shut with needlenose pliers. However, the ones provided by Blue Fox must be a different kind of metal and are very difficult to completely squeeze shut with pliers. I lost a really nice salmon a couple of years ago because the hook was not squeezed shut tight enough for the skinny wire of the Blue Fox. The hook popped out of the spinner when the fish thrashed. Now I always use a vise to close the gap on the siwash they provide and then double check to make sure that the gap is completely closed.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
C_Run;n599918 said:
I always swap them out for the treble right away when I buy them.

Do use use a split ring to do that?

C_Run;n599918 said:
A cautionary note. I use a lot of Gamakatsu Siwash hooks and they are very easy to squeeze shut with needlenose pliers. However, the ones provided by Blue Fox must be a different kind of metal and are very difficult to completely squeeze shut with pliers. I lost a really nice salmon a couple of years ago because the hook was not squeezed shut tight enough for the skinny wire of the Blue Fox. The hook popped out of the spinner when the fish thrashed. Now I always use a vise to close the gap on the siwash they provide and then double check to make sure that the gap is completely closed.

Thanks for the heads up about getting the eye completely closed, you have to give them some credit though, they are willing to provide you with both a single and treble, and don't make it an either or.

Reactions: playhooky
Admin
Admin
If we are still talking about trout fishing with 1/4 oz and below, a would suggest to just make a treble hook barbless using plyers.

P
pinstriper
I bought some Gamu siwashes in #4 and #6, pinch the barbs, just for use for C&R trouting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Anatoliy;n599931 said:
If we are still talking about trout fishing with 1/4 oz and below, a would suggest to just make a treble hook barbless using plyers.

Please don't bring logic to my conversation, why would I consider using 3 points of contact instead of one.

Push aside my sarcastic nature, and thank you Anatolly for providing a much simpler and seemingly more effective solution to my concern.

I am taking the boy, and my wife back out this Saturday, I will test your recommendation and report back.

Tight lines!:thumb:

Admin
Admin
Fishnbuck;n599933 said:
I am taking the boy, and my wife back out this Saturday, I will test your recommendation and report back.

catch a big one! )

hobster
hobster
Another thing to consider is siwash are quite a bit longer than trebles, so the mortality rate is higher because it hooks em deeper. I don't think it matters too much with salmon and steelies,but more with trout. Pinching the barb on a treble is a great idea.

C_Run
C_Run
hobster;n599936 said:
Another thing to consider is siwash are quite a bit longer than trebles, so the mortality rate is higher because it hooks em deeper. I don't think it matters too much with salmon and steelies,but more with trout. Pinching the barb on a treble is a great idea.

Exactly. If you hook a 12 " trout when you are fishing with a 2/0 siwash, it can be ugly and sad.

You don't need a split ring. You have to cut off the treble , at least with blue fox, then squeeze the eye shut on the siwash.

hobster
hobster
C_Run;n599937 said:
Exactly. If you hook a 12 " trout when you are fishing with a 2/0 siwash, it can be ugly and sad.

You don't need a split ring. You have to cut off the treble , at least with blue fox, then squeeze the eye shut on the siwash.

Indeed, I only use a split ring if i'm replacing a worn out treble with a new treble.

R
rippin fish lips
Split rings are personal choice. Use split rings on your spinners in saltwater salmon fishing or even steelhead. They help with these two things... 1, Easy hook replacement and 2, they help tremendously and make it harder for the fish to twist hooks out with the split rings, without em fish can get leverage with the shank of the hooks and pop them out. Trout fishing and C&R fishing for them, keep it simple. another site you might want to check out. R&BLures.com they have everything you need for this issue. small hooks, small spinners and every size part you could ever need, it's family over there.

NOTE: you will also miss more hooksets with smaller singles vs trebles. Just pinch those barbs on anything 1/4oz and smaller, you can even cut 1 hook off and go barbless with the other two hooks left on what was a "treble"

G
Gulfstream
what I have done is cut one of the 3 on a treble off and pinch the barbs down on the other 2.I hook just as many fish and they shake off pretty easily.Like he said!

Reactions: wils
Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Thanks guys, made it back out Sat by my lonesome. Unfortunately no love for spinners this time around. The only (2) landed were both on a pink egg, but I will definitely keep all of this great advice in mind for future use.

Tight lines!