Are bowed fishing rods common? Or is it a defect?

C
Crabbin503
Just purchased 2 Ugly Stiks and both are bowed on the tip half of the two piece rod. Is this a defect or something much more common than I don't realize? Input appreciated...

C_Run
C_Run
I just bought a couple also and they are perfectly straight.

Chromatose
Chromatose
There is what is known as a spline to a fishing rod, but the spline is by no means a bow/BEND. Might be a case where the rods have been stored in heat, with the tip sections in a bent position.

troutdude
troutdude
I don't claim to be a rocket scientist; but a bow in a rod can't spell good news. I'd sugget returning them, to the store. Perhaps you can exchange, for rods sans bows? After all...bow season is nearly over. LOL

C
Crabbin503
So I wanted to provide an update. I sent Shakespeare pics and they are sending replacements. I got some Medium Heavys today though that's biggest eyelets were bent pretty bad during shipping (on both rods). They really should double box or something. Having said that I'm probably just going to buy locally if at all possible in the future to avoid the issues.

C
Crabbin503
So first I was sent two defective Gx2 medium spinning rods. I took pics and they sent replacements one of which I still wasn't happy with (6ft medium not perfectly straight). I ordered two medium heavys not long after ordering the mediums (hadn't gotten mediums yet) and those got here with the biggest eyelets bent on both. Again I sent pics. One of the medium heavys was perfectly straight so I just bent back the eyelet and kept it because I didn't want to risk getting a bowed one as a replacement. I sent back the other medium heavy due to the bent eyelet and because it also wasn't perfectly straight. In regards to the medium 6ft replacement that I wasn't happy with this is Shakespeare's response....

Thank you for your response. our rods are not meant to be 100% straight. Especially the type of rod you have, a medium action rod has a fast action tip which makes them flexible and easily bendable so you can feel the slightest bite from a fish. Slight curves are normal in medium action rods because the tip is very thin. The rod should perform just like any of our other rods with no problems.

If you feel like the slight curve is too bothersome, we suggest going with a heavy action rod which is much firmer and less flexible.

Thank you,
Shakespeare Customer Service
JN

In conclusion, I'm not satisfied with the response considering I have 5'10" (hand picked) and 6'6" mediums that are perfectly staight (I told them to which they haven't replied back). Having said that, I would not recommend buying direct from Shakespeare as my only two experiences ever buying from them were full of inconvenience and I wasn't even completely satisfied in the end. If you are picky about your rods being straight and not getting bent eyelets buy local and hand pick them if at all possible so you know exactly what you are buying.

Reactions: OneFishTwoFish