Beginner baitcasting set up.

B
Blackdiamond1983
I am looking to get a baitcasting set up. Little experience using one but looking for a beginner set up. One that would work for bass and trout. Any recommendations?

B
Big3d
Abu Garcia Black max, won't cost much and the reel is about the only baitcaster I can personally use without jacking it up.

C
Choptech
I second the Black Max. I have a few of them and love them. Can't be beat for the price thats for sure!

troutdude
troutdude
X 3. Great reels. Go get one; and good luck.

F
Fishpdx
Black max , or even better silver max

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Black Max or Silver Max are both good. Diawa makes a couple good entry level reels too.

What kind of trout fishing are you planning to do with the baitcaster though - baitcasters & light line are not a great combo - baitcaster type reels work better with 8lb or heavier line and typically lures of 3/8 oz or heavier - and if you're just starting out I'd say on the heavier side (1/2 oz) until you get comfortable using them. Stock up on line, because there's a good learning curve and you will bird's nest the reel with regularity, and sometimes you just won't get the thing picked out and you'll wind up cutting the line off. I still do that occasionally.

troutdude
troutdude
GungasUncle said:
Black Max or Silver Max are both good. Diawa makes a couple good entry level reels too.

What kind of trout fishing are you planning to do with the baitcaster though - baitcasters & light line are not a great combo - baitcaster type reels work better with 8lb or heavier line and typically lures of 3/8 oz or heavier - and if you're just starting out I'd say on the heavier side (1/2 oz) until you get comfortable using them. Stock up on line, because there's a good learning curve and you will bird's nest the reel with regularity, and sometimes you just won't get the thing picked out and you'll wind up cutting the line off. I still do that occasionally.

Wise counsel. Had those same thoughts, cross my mind too. It's a LOT easier, with a spinning reel.

D
DonF
With baitcasting there is no such thing as a beginner set up! Get a fairly inexpensive reel to begin with and learn to cast. For the beginner an expensive reel gets birds nest's the same as inexpensive ones! If I were to recommend a reel to start with, I am, it's a Kastking, one of their low priced reels. I have one round Kastking and two low profiles and maybe $100 into all three combined!