Gill netting

F
fish face
I know what gill netting is (I think), but what is the controversy? Is it because gill netting takes away from the sport fishermen? I'm really not sure.

T
TimberTodd
I think one of the main reasons are that gill nets are none selective in what they catch.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. They strip the water of anything caught. Not just targeted species.

K
killigan
There are 13 or so ESA (Endangered Species Act) listed fish (Tully Salmon, wild steelhead, sturgeon, to name a few) which use the lower Columbia river to make their way back to the streams they spawn in. Gill-nets are not able to differentiate between ESA listed fish/Non-ESA listed fish and hatchery fish, (Non-selective harvest methods). Why the controversy? For the past 4 years, sport anglers who wish to fish for Salmon/steelhead on the Columbia River or it's tributaries, have been forced to pay a Columbia River endorsement ($9.75 per year), which states in the Regulations that they will use this fee to improve sport fishing opportunities and transition the use of commercial gill-nets off of the lower Columbia river by 2017. Well, that didn't happen, the ODFW commission decided a month ago to allow gill-nets for I believe the Fall Salmon season, and kept Young's Bay as a no-zone for sport anglers. To add to the controversy, this was a bi-state Columbia River issue, with Washington state. Washington's commission voted for an extension to conduct better testing of alternative methods, but limited the commercial gill-net fisheries to specific zones (if I read it correctly). Not a win in Washington, but they are moving forward, as Oregon is back peddling caring more about a commercial fishery, than the sport angler (who funds the majority of ODFW).

Funny how things work, they don't want to support the group that funds their operations. But they will bend over backwards to let the commercial fishery use their medieval nets! The older I get the more I see how flawed the system is. It starts at the top and works its way right down the levels of corruption.

Just one man's opinion and observations.

Side note: Instead of purchasing extras on my fishing license this year (two rod endorsement, Hatchery tag), I decided to Join the NW Steelheaders and CCA Oregon, because I support what they do for our fisheries. I fish the Mac and Middle Fork of the Willamette, so they got me on the Columbia endorsement! :grumpy:

Cheers,
Brandon

troutdude
troutdude
Well spoken! BRAVO!!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've been on somewhat of a reading spree these last couple of months. One of the book I read while not controversial was Alaska Blue. It was story about a commercial fisherman who plied the fishing waters of SE Alaska. He fished both gillnet and troll methods. The thing that impressed me was the fact that he would set a gillnet and could catch as many as 600 fish on a set. When he trolled he would consider 25 fish a good day. Southeast Alaska is ocean water and a vast area. Move on down to the Columbia River and you will notice that it is a constrictive area. Gillnets can be placed and are place to capture thousands of fish in an indiscriminate manner. It is not a matter of competition with sports fishermen it a matter of completion for the survival of the fish.

The Columbia River is the only major river in the continental US that allows for the practice of gillnetting. For very good reasons it was outlawed on the Willamette, Tillamook Bay the Nestucca, Nehalem and other locations. A gillnet boat can go out on the river and snag a boat load of fish without regard for what gets caught including ESA fish. A sport boat can land one chinook only per person on the boat, and those fish must be caught with a barbless hook.

F
fish face
Well, I have certainly become educated. Are you suggesting eliminating or limiting gillnetting the Columbia only? My concern would be that the price of salmon in stores would rise significantly (maybe). At the same time, you right, why should the funding by solely on the backs of the sport fisherman?

whole thing is too crazy for me.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The State of Oregon has already passed legislation to end gillnet fishing on the Columbia main Stream. SB 830 sets a different course of action looking for gear that is more selective. If the only source of salmon came directly from the Columbia gillnet there might be a squeeze on salmon, but that is not the case.

D
DrTheopolis
fish face;n602284 said:
My concern would be that the price of salmon in stores would rise significantly (maybe).

That's the line of BS the gill netting lobby (whose leader runs the ODFW Commission) throws out there. The truth is that little-to-none of the Columbia commercially harvested salmon is sold in Oregon (tribal-caught fish does, however, and none of what we're discussing affects that -- that battle is for another time). The fish processors (and there's members of Kate Browns staff who have an ownership stake in them) send it to places like New York, where it fetches a much higher price.

F
fish face
When I first heard of this years ago it was when I was purchasing my fishing license from Dick's. The young lady asked if I wanted an "endorsement". Not being a ODFW representative, she had hard time telling me what that was. My knee jerk answer was "no, thank you". Knowing what I know now, I would have given a resounding "NO"! Thanks for the information.

Now, I have a Super bowl to watch--