Old school gear

hobster
hobster
troutdude;n601616 said:
Great information Hobster; on identifying the year an Abu reel was made. Thank you.

There is a retiree, in Corvallis, who works on such reels all of the time--for many guides, and others. If you want details, hit me up.

No worries man, thanks for the info. It's the only vintage reel I have and it's flawless so i'm good. You seem to be the man when it comes to collecting vintage! I have like 28 guitars I've collected over time so I have my other obsessions as well :D

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
hobster;n601682 said:
No worries man, thanks for the info. It's the only vintage reel I have and it's flawless so i'm good. You seem to be the man when it comes to collecting vintage! I have like 28 guitars I've collected over time so I have my other obsessions as well :D

Well at least you are past, the denial stage. LOL

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
No Title

Heres 2 old Mitchell Garcia reels I picked up in the last few weeks and a hardly used Shimano 1000 I got today for 6 bucks, I paid less than 20 bucks for all 3!

• photo31097.jpg
Reactions: billfisher and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Here is a vintage DAM Quick casting/trolling reel that I unearthed, a couple of years ago. It came with--and is attached to--a nice fiberglass Browning Silaflex rod. It is the ONLY DAM Quick reel, of this type, that I've ever seen.

hobster
hobster
troutdude;n602378 said:
Here is a vintage DAM Quick casting/trolling reel that I unearthed, a couple of years ago. It came with--and is attached to--a nice fiberglass Browning Silaflex rod. It is the ONLY DAM Quick reel, of this type, that I've ever seen.

I did a little research on those, that is a sweet reel! I have never heard of DAM, but vintage German is usually very well made. I'll keep my eye out for em, thanks :thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
hobster;n602777 said:
I did a little research on those, that is a sweet reel! I have never heard of DAM, but vintage German is usually very well made. I'll keep my eye out for em, thanks :thumb:

You're very welcome, my friend.

I've been fishing, since about '65. My first reel, was a DAM Quick 220 spinning reel. They were THE "go to" reels, back then. I've seen hundreds of them--since then--and have owned many other models: standard, high speed retrieves, etc. But had NEVER seen one, like the one posted above. My guess is that the one above, was sold overseas. But I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, I hope that you can round some up. They are indeed well-built. IMO just as good, as the Swedish built Abu Garcia's.