When crabbing do you?....

C
Crabbin503
When crabbing do you add new bait to the old or completely replace the old? How often do you add to old bait or completely replace the old bait with new bait?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I typically add new bait to the old. I feel that the old bait lets out scent a little faster since it is completely thawed and the new bait is normally relatively frozen still. I use the little bait holders that are the plastic mesh that you buy from places like Bi-Mart (no idea what they are called). Normally I only add bait if the holder is less than half full. I do typically stuff them as full as I possibly can though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
add bait.

D
DrTheopolis
Depends. When using poultry (chicken or turkey, which keeps the pinnipeds away from your pots... usually), it usually lasts all day, and them some. When using fish, it seems like the crabs can pick away at it through the bait-cage-thingy, so adding some is often necessary.

D
DrTheopolis
And my worthless $0.02 -- put some scent, like you use for fishing (Smelly Jelly, fish/egg oil, whatever) on your bait. Seems to help.

Reactions: EOBOY
G
Gulfstream
I use albacore or salmon heads in the bait bag and get 2 trips out of em.Bait jars I use squid or tuna trimmings and get the same.Hanging carcasses will go 1 trip