Surf perch and crab.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Yesterday Pinstripper and I decided we were going to do some surf perch fishing, but I had noticed in the guide report that the crabbing was doing good at Netarts. Last winter when I got my drift boat I went and bought crab pots. All Winter I kept telling my self that I was going to go crabbing, but those darn Steelhead and Salmon kept me to busy. So, this morning we loaded up the Poles and pots and headed for Netarts. We got our pots out and rigged up our rods and proceeded to feed the sculpin.

After about an hour we pulled our pots and they were all full. After we pulled the boat we headed to a friend of his in Garibali and got a lesson on the clean before cooking method. Quite interesting, although I'm not to sure how my cook job came out.............Going to find out right now...........I'll get back to you.

Reactions: wozniasm
P
pinstriper
It was awesome, Dana. I am going to bring all my crabs to you for cleaning from now on !

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Clean before cooking is the way to go. I was skeptical when it was first shown, I'm a believer now.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Hooked Up;n597139 said:
Clean before cooking is the way to go. I was skeptical when it was first shown, I'm a believer now.

yep, whack the belly on a sharp edge, grab legs on each side, twist, twist, and into the steamer!

EOBOY
EOBOY
rogerdodger;n597140 said:
yep, whack the belly on a sharp edge, grab legs on each side, twist, twist, and into the steamer!

Haa Mark was a little reluctant, so I grabbed one and it was so fast his buddy slowed me down so Mark could do a couple.
for some reason he kept trying to grab them from the front.:popcorn: I like the color after cooking! I'm throwing some steak on the grill and making some of my red sauce.

P
pinstriper
EOBOY;n597148 said:
Haa Mark was a little reluctant, so I grabbed one and it was so fast his buddy slowed me down so Mark could do a couple.
for some reason he kept trying to grab them from the front.:popcorn: I like the color after cooking! I'm throwing some steak on the grill and making some of my red sauce.

Shannon taught me to do that last year and several times since.

I have found it to be to my advantage to keep telling him I just don't remember and can he show me again with these here crabs....

I was kinda counting on you doing all of them before I got a chance.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I like to tear off their skinny male identifying thing first, it makes splitting their bellies easier and makes them angry which makes controlling their claws that much more fun...

we have also found it best to clean them right when they are going into the steamer or boiling water, not before. leave them in the cooler until their time has come...

EOBOY
EOBOY
rogerdodger;n597160 said:
I like to tear off their skinny male identifying thing first, it makes splitting their bellies easier and makes them angry which makes controlling their claws that much more fun...

we have also found it best to clean them right when they are going into the steamer or boiling water, not before. leave them in the cooler until their time has come...

That is a good idea but I didn't know how to do it and I knew PIN didn't know how to do it! So, yes I will leave them till I get home. I also only take what I can eat in a day or two. Mark said whats the limit? Well that's mine.

P
pinstriper
I got a bunch of crab frozen now so Mrs. P can make artichoke-crab dip any time.

I say if you have a convenient place to clean them, do so and put em on ice to get home. They pack smaller that way. But if there isn't a cleaning station put them in a larger cooler and ice, process at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O
OnTheDrop
Hey you know your fishing guide loves some Crab..... Cough cough

?

EOBOY
EOBOY
I thought you were up north

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

EOBOY
EOBOY
Testing tap n talk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper;n597177 said:
I got a bunch of crab frozen now so Mrs. P can make artichoke-crab dip any time.

I say if you have a convenient place to clean them, do so and put em on ice to get home. They pack smaller that way. But if there isn't a cleaning station put them in a larger cooler and ice, process at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest being very careful if you delay cooking crabs that are dead or have been cleaned...

I would never ice down live crabs, keep them cool and moist in a cooler, some seaweed in the cooler is a great way to keep them happy until they get there turn in the hot tub or steam sauna....

O
OnTheDrop
East, I'm in Montana. Let's crab when I get back. Cheers~

EOBOY
EOBOY
OK North and East then. You got it

EOBOY
EOBOY
You near Monster lake

O
OnTheDrop
Bozeman, heading up to Missoula area in about an hour... Hopefully I'll have some good pictures for you guys by the time I get back next week.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Have fun I'm saving your stuff ha

O
OnTheDrop
You are the man^^^!

B
Big3d
rogerdodger;n597160 said:
I like to tear off their skinny male identifying thing first

Hahahaha the jokes.... Oh man.... Hahahaha.