Jumped into fly tying

K
Kage
So I finally decided to get into tying my own flies and I would like some feedback on how to improve.

• photo31451.jpg
P
playhooky
Tie when your in the mood. Don't be afraid to try any pattern. Remember, you can untie anything you've already tied and re-tie. I like to watch YouTube videos and tie along with them. It's nice because you can pause and continue at any time. After a couple of times tying along with the video you will remember the materials and procedures and will no longer need the tutorial. Just keep practicing....you'll be amazed at what you can dress a size 20 or 22 hook with. Main thing is don't take it too serious and just have fun with it!06978ec3676c615db71024c9af20284a.jpg960952d672d382831604703cc64d3b70.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Kage;n605103 said:
So I finally decided to get into tying my own flies and I would like some feedback on how to improve.

Looks like you have the Tenny nymph down. Before youtube was around I bought a vcr tape of various western flies to tie. After watching the tape I still needed help. I was lucky, just up the road a local fly shop was giving free classes every Saturday. Some of the guys up there really got me going. Are there any shops around you that provide such help?

Playhooky......nice stimulator and griffis gnat. Also looks like you have a nice set up for tying. Having an organized tying bench is a plus.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Let the obsession begin!!!!!!

P
playhooky
Attempted a couple of "Chironomids" in a size 14 & 16 last evening. I'll add em to the appropriate fly box and possibly soak em in Crane Prairie one of these days. I've heard or read somewhere that Chironomids are 40% of a trouts diet.520e95494f81ea6123968a7d8f115977.jpg

K
Kage
Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement, I definitely think this might turn into an obsession. What size hook would be ideal for summer steelhead? In the photo I'm using a #2 and noticed I had slight gaps along the hook because I didn't have enough material left to wrap. Any suggestions on an easy, productive steelhead fly that I could try? I thought I'd try an egg sucking leech, looked fairly easy.