Salmon on the fly.

EOBOY
EOBOY
For a year I've been on OnTheDrop to take me for Salmon on the Fly. I think I was getting on his nerves about it a little bit. So I joined him and Dave from Cal. Who was a guide out of Humboldt Bay. Nice guy! We put in about 9:30 and joined the other boats in our quest for Chrome. There were fish rolling all around us but no one was putting anything in their boat. After about 2 or 3 hours a boat running Kwick fish picked up a nice Ho. Then there must have been a pod run through because Here and there fish started being picked up. I finally got that much anticipated strike, after a good set ( so I thought ) and about 3 head shakes it was gone. Dang!

I certainly have the Bug Bug! One boat was full of fisherwoman, and they were having a blast. One of the locals who Tanner says Fly fish's all the time there picked up a nice buck. It was neat watching him. The girls.jpg girls are on the red boat the local is on the right side of the picture.

Reactions: Ballgame and Admin
B
Ballgame
what weight of rod are you using when you go after salmon on the fly?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Did you get a chance to talk with the guy, get some info? Sounds like you guys had a good time even without fish in the boat.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Ballgame;n603959 said:
what weight of rod are you using when you go after salmon on the fly?

10 wt.

Reactions: Ballgame
EOBOY
EOBOY
Hooked Up;n603971 said:
Did you get a chance to talk with the guy, get some info? Sounds like you guys had a good time even without fish in the boat.

Yes! And I had the area wrong. He was from Orange County (Huntington Beach) He was taking people out to Catalina Is. I quit being a guide so to bad.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
EOBOY;n603987 said:
He was taking people out to Catalina Is. I quit being a guide so to bad.

Taking people to fish at Catalina Island, tough way to make a living

P
Paul Smith
Did you ever make it out to try salmon on the fly? I've had some success on the local rivers for springers swinging with a sink tip and larger articulated flies, mostly still get steelies, but occasionally get the nook (landed 3 last year). Send me a pm if you wasn't more info; God luck!

Reactions: Southpaw