First fly rod, where's a good starting place?

Southpaw
Southpaw
So I took the leap and trying out the "bug wand" world. Been itching to try it most of this year but felt it might be a little overwhelming and none of the people I know personally fly fish. So with the help of a work bonus and some advice from caddis fly shop and some reviews I ended up getting an Echo carbon xl 9' 4wt and I'm ready to start working on figuring this out. I also signed up for the next class they offer in October. So until then, what are some good places to start for casting and practicing around the Eugene area? If anyone is willing to meet and throw some pointers also I'd be extremely grateful.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Just find an open spot without trees behind you and start flinging, Lee Trevino was one of the greatest golfers with zero formal training just started as a kid and learned his own style!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Southpaw;n598721 said:
So I took the leap and trying out the "bug wand" world. Been itching to try it most of this year but felt it might be a little overwhelming and none of the people I know personally fly fish. So with the help of a work bonus and some advice from caddis fly shop and some reviews I ended up getting an Echo carbon xl 9' 4wt and I'm ready to start working on figuring this out. I also signed up for the next class they offer in October. So until then, what are some good places to start for casting and practicing around the Eugene area? If anyone is willing to meet and throw some pointers also I'd be extremely grateful.

Man you live right there by the Mac! What a great river for Bug fishing. I wish I lived closer to it, this is a great time of year to catch something good. Do you have a toon or anything to float it with that's the ticket.

hobster
hobster
Both good advice, i'd start practicing in your yard or a grassy area if available and work on your cast. The street will tear up your line. I used to go down to Alton Baker and practice my cast also, and accidentaly hooked a few fish. I would start without a fly on the line though because you will loose a lot of them snapping off on the backcast when you first start.
The Mac is a great fly fishing river this time of year, if you want to give the river a try head down to Armitage off coburg rd. Lots of nice water above the park and on the other side of the river, I went down yesterday after work and hooked some nice cutties. Also, my wife got me a class at Caddis many years ago when I started and it was worth every penny. You will learn what you need to get started, it is a great investment, I highly recommend it to a beginner. It's an amazing way to fish, you'll have a blast!

Reactions: EOBOY
Southpaw
Southpaw
I don't have a pontoon but that's another item I've been watching to buy and try to find a good used deal. Thanks hobster, I've been there a few times but not this time of the year so might try that out! Think I might try video my casting as I'm seeing several problems already I'd like to eliminate before it feels like they're hard to break. I am signed up for the class at caddis fly shop next month and glad to hear positive feedback on it, thank you all!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
hobster;n598726 said:
Both good advice, i'd start practicing in your yard or a grassy area if available and work on your cast. The street will tear up your line. I used to go down to Alton Baker and practice my cast also, and accidentaly hooked a few fish. I would start without a fly on the line though because you will loose a lot of them snapping off on the backcast when you first start.

This is some pretty darn good advice hobster. You might try using really small split shot to simulate the weight of a fly. That way there are no hooks involved. I would also give yourself a target to practice aiming. When I was learning I used a plank of old fencing about 4 feet long or so. The goal was to try and get my line to lay across the target and "present" my fly (the little split shot) just on the other side of the wood.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
For 50 bucks you can buy a vise hooks and all the materials to tie flies, well worth it and when you look :Dup in that tree above you just laugh and tie another one on for 20 cents!

Reactions: Southpaw
P
Paul Smith
send me a PM I'd meet up sometime.

S
sapo
When I started out I practiced in my yard or a field (somewhere with casting room). I tried fly fishing for real for the first time at a local pond, and then transitioned to rivers. You live right by the Mckenzie, give it a go when you're ready.

Southpaw
Southpaw
Paul Smith;n598749 said:
send me a PM I'd meet up sometime.
Thanks Paul, I did

Southpaw
Southpaw
Just want to thank everyone that chimed in and dropped their valuable ideas and helpful advice. All really good stuff and super supportive. I'm taking notes and last night finally felt like I could feel the rhythm of loading the line and starting to see better and tighter loops forming with distance. Still getting mad at myself when I get OFF timing, but I'm my own worst critic and like seeing perfection. Can't wait to get out their and run into a few of you all out on our awesome rivers!

Reactions: Admin
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I use a self winding Atica with a old Fenwick my granpappy gave me in 1966!

Reactions: EOBOY
S
stanster
So far, your are getting great advice from Caddis Fly and other members here. Good choice on the fly rod too. I agree about hitting the Mac at Armitage park. You could head up river to Deerhorn as well. If not this year, but definitely next year buy a Lane County park pass. You can get them at BiMart. I pay $20 cause I'm an old fart, but I think for you youngsters its $40. No matter, its WELL worth it! That way no worries about day use fees.

One more thing, never fish the Mac w/o a few Muddler Minnows in your flybox!!

Good luck and tight lines!!!

Southpaw
Southpaw
IMG_0578.JPG
Thanks stanster, trying to add and ask the shops what works and other folks what's good as the seasons go on, this is what I have for now.

N
Nemoduck
I have been tying flies for the last 6 months due to shoulder surgery, I have some I could give you. I'm no expert, but I might be able to help you with casting.

Southpaw
Southpaw
That would great, I'll send you a pm