Rare free weekend coming up—where to go???

S
SWriverstone
I have a VERY rare free weekend (from the family) coming up (August 20-21) and want to spend it flyfishing! But I'm suffering from "analysis paralysis" trying to figure out where to go to get the most from the weekend. I live in Eugene, so that's my starting point.

As always, it's got to be a balance between driving and fishing. I can leave Friday after work and don't mind driving a few hours.

And as a steelhead newbie who has yet to catch my first steelhead, trying for 2 days straight is an option (though I realize that might mean 2 days without catching a single fish).

But 2 days of excellent trout fishing would be fine too. Or smallmouth fishing.

And no ponds or lakes—with respect to stillwater fishermen, I'm a moving water guy. :) Rivers and streams only for me.

Ideas welcome!
Scott

PS - I have a canoe and am an expert whitewater canoeist...but since I'll likely be alone, I'd have to figure out a shuttle somehow if I use it.

Reactions: EOBOY
Troutski
Troutski
Have you spent much time on the upper sections of the Middle Fork of the Willamette, above Hills Creek res ? During the hot days of Summer I tend to focus on the smaller water and target the river Rainbows, Steelhead angling does have its place, I tend to target them in the Fall and early Spring; less pressure and fresher fish. If you have your heart set on Steelhead I recommend the Coastal Fork of the Willamette, not bad water in the early hours.
If you haven't run the section between Westfir and Lookout Point res in your canoe you should, excellent Trout water.
Hopefully this gives you some options, have a safe and productive trip where ever you end up...

Chuck

EOBOY
EOBOY
SWriverstone;n597959 said:
I have a VERY rare free weekend (from the family) coming up (August 20-21) and want to spend it flyfishing! But I'm suffering from "analysis paralysis" trying to figure out where to go to get the most from the weekend. I live in Eugene, so that's my starting point.

As always, it's got to be a balance between driving and fishing. I can leave Friday after work and don't mind driving a few hours.

And as a steelhead newbie who has yet to catch my first steelhead, trying for 2 days straight is an option (though I realize that might mean 2 days without catching a single fish).

But 2 days of excellent trout fishing would be fine too. Or smallmouth fishing.

And no ponds or lakes—with respect to stillwater fishermen, I'm a moving water guy. :) Rivers and streams only for me.

Ideas welcome!
Scott

PS - I have a canoe and am an expert whitewater canoeist...but since I'll likely be alone, I'd have to figure out a shuttle somehow if I use it.

I just spent a day with Tanner and Hobs on the Mac, we put in at Deer Horn and got out at Hendricks bridge. I have a Canoe also (17' OldTowne Tripper.) and am planning on taking it to my son and his family in Springfield in the very near future. I think you would find that stretch of river perfect for what you want. Don't know if I'll make it this weekend , If I maybe come I'll send you a PM!

troutdude
troutdude
One word: Deschutes.

P
Paul Smith
I agree with troutdude; that's where I'm headed swinging flies for steel, not much better this time a year than that on the D.

S
SWriverstone
Thanks for the replies! Troutski, I've scouted out parts of the Upper Middle Fork Willamette above Hills Creek—it's a beautiful stretch of river, but I've never been sure how many fish are up there? (There isn't a whole lot about that section online that I can find.) And the section between Westfir and Lookout is a good option.

I was wondering about the Deschutes——I've never fished it, and don't know much about it. Any recommendations on good places to go fish on foot? I'm willing to bike/hike a good distance if needed. (I've heard for example that going to the mouth of the Deschutes and then biking/hiking upstream from there is a good option—would that be worthwhile?)

Thanks,
Scott

W
Willerman
SWriverstone;n597986 said:
Thanks for the replies! Troutski, I've scouted out parts of the Upper Middle Fork Willamette above Hills Creek—it's a beautiful stretch of river, but I've never been sure how many fish are up there? (There isn't a whole lot about that section online that I can find.) And the section between Westfir and Lookout is a good option.

I was wondering about the Deschutes——I've never fished it, and don't know much about it. Any recommendations on good places to go fish on foot? I'm willing to bike/hike a good distance if needed. (I've heard for example that going to the mouth of the Deschutes and then biking/hiking upstream from there is a good option—would that be worthwhile?)

Thanks,
Scott

Right at the mouth at the rec area. Zoom in on google maps and you can see the trail that you would be walking. I imagine that would be good fishing right now, but I'm sure someone with a little more experience with the Deschutes could chime in and tell where they are hitting good right now. Watch out for rattlers!

Troutski
Troutski
SWriverstone;n597986 said:

Thanks,
Scott

You would enjoy the Deschutes that for sure, wonderful water. I was directing you toward our local waters, and yes there isn't much about the Middle Fork on line... even less about the Coastal fork. What a great place to live and fish, near all these jewels. Have a great weekend where ever you swing your bug wand....

Chuck

S
SWriverstone
I've been wondering about the Coast Fork of the Willamette. I read (somewhere online) that ODFW started planting smolts in the Coast Fork a few years ago and some returns are happening. I did get out one evening a few weeks ago and fished downstream of the Rt.58 bridge. Nice wading and nice water, but I didn't see any signs of fish. It's close though, so worth trying again.

S
SWriverstone
Ugh. Finding a place to spend the night is another problem if I go to the Deschutes. Like every state campground in Oregon, 100% of all campsites in the state recreation area campground at the mouth are booked a year in advance. :-( doesn't look like there's a whole lot of other options out there in the desert...

Troutski
Troutski
Have you ever tried Gold Lake, wonderful Brookie lake. Your canoe would be great up there, plus a very nice camp ground. Plenty of other water within a few miles of the lake, Waldo Lake, North Fork of the Middle Fork, Salt Creek and Odell creek.

Chuck

S
SWriverstone
I dunno. It's Friday evening and I still don't know where to go tomorrow morning. (Obviously my hesitation prevented me from getting anywhere tonight!) The heat is intimidating. I keep reading about all the steelhead at the mouth of the Deschutes...but then I think "It's 3.5hrs to get there, and the only good fishing is from 6-9am and 6-9pm. What the hell am I going to do in the desert all day in 95-degree heat?" LOL

I guess that's the problem everywhere this time of year. Very limited fishing (a few hours in the early morning and evening). Nah, I'm not one to drag a sinktip across the bottom of deep pools in the middle of a 95-degree day. Leave the fish alone for chrissakes!

@Troutski--—if I thought Gold Lake would be any cooler I'd give it a try...but it's supposed to be 90 degrees even up there! Maybe I'm too much of a softie...but somehow beating on the fish when it's this hot just seems mean.

I'll probably go down to the North Umpqua—just because it's relatively close...

Scott

Troutski
Troutski
Best of luck and tight lines...

Chuck

EOBOY
EOBOY
SWriverstone;n598050 said:
I dunno. It's Friday evening and I still don't know where to go tomorrow morning. (Obviously my hesitation prevented me from getting anywhere tonight!) The heat is intimidating. I keep reading about all the steelhead at the mouth of the Deschutes...but then I think "It's 3.5hrs to get there, and the only good fishing is from 6-9am and 6-9pm. What the hell am I going to do in the desert all day in 95-degree heat?" LOL

I guess that's the problem everywhere this time of year. Very limited fishing (a few hours in the early morning and evening). Nah, I'm not one to drag a sinktip across the bottom of deep pools in the middle of a 95-degree day. Leave the fish alone for chrissakes!

@Troutski--—if I thought Gold Lake would be any cooler I'd give it a try...but it's supposed to be 90 degrees even up there! Maybe I'm too much of a softie...but somehow beating on the fish when it's this hot just seems mean.

I'll probably go down to the North Umpqua—just because it's relatively close...

Scott

Good choice, and the wind over there is probably a factor. Believe me I grew up over there and the wind is a game changer.