New member, looking for some advice.

C
Cody
Hi-
My name is Cody. I'm orginally from California, Moved to the Corvallis, Albany area. I also just started getting into fly fishing. Looking for some advice on where to go if any would like to give some input I'd greatly appreciate it!! I've fished EE Wilson and some local ponds but looking for some streams to get in. Also looking for someone to fish with if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Cody

troutdude
troutdude
Wecome to OFF, and to Corvegas!

There's lots of places to fish, along the Willy. And the Alsea & Siletz Rivers, are in reach. And they will soon have, runs of Bluebacks (what us locals call sea-run cutties).

Good luck, and GO BEAVS!

P.S. Be sure to read the reg's, before you head out--ESPECIALLY for, the coastal streams. BTW...EE Wilson will be a dud; the water is too WARM now for trout to be active.

C
Cody
Thanks for the info. I haven't really been out to EE Wilson since about March due to the warm water. Been chasing smallies on the calapooia looking for some streams to chase.Is there any maps I can look at to show me where I can and cannot fish on the siletz or alsea?

troutdude
troutdude
No Title

I'd hit Morgan Park, in the dark green stretch (Drift #5), for Bluebacks. They are just getting started; so will still be the hugging the salt water / fresh water divide. Give it another 3-4 weeks, for them to be farther upstream.

Try using small (size 1 or 2) brown Rooster Tails, with a gold blade. They mimic, a crucial food source: baby crawdads.

• photo30568.jpg
C
Cody
What about flies ?? Do they don't usually hit flies till further up stream ??

troutdude
troutdude
No Title

Borden Specials have been proven--for several decades now--to be among the most widely used fly, for Bluebacks. There are others; but the Borden Special was specifally devised to catch them on the Alsea.

C
Cody
Thank you for all your help and advice!!

P
Paul Smith
Send me a PM and we can go fish sometime; I typically will swing flies for steelhead, and will often times take a small single handed rod and fish for trout. There are quite a few places to fish between Albany and Sweethome.

C
Cody
I acctually saw one of your previous post and sent you a PM last night!!