Harriet Lake mystery hatch

M
Mutiny
Hey, I haven't posted on here in close to a year but thought maybe someone could help me answer this question.
I have run into this same situation at Harriet lake a few times in the evening where a hatch starts and fish begin rising everywhere. Lots of small (maybe number 18) mayflies everywhere with a handful of caddies and golden stones thrown in.
I've tried matching the mayflies in various colors as well as the larger bugs, soft hackle wets floated in the film, nymphs (which I've had good luck on earlier in the day) and trolling buggers all with no results.
Anyone have any experience with this, or what they might be feeding on? Thanks!

EOBOY
EOBOY
No Idea have never had drys turned down when they are feeding. The only thing I can think of is maybe presentation. I know mine is not always the greatest on stillwaters. Do you know what the water temp.was?

M
Mutiny
My presentation isn't always the best, but it's not horrible. I've caught plenty of Stillwater trout on dries. Not sure what the temp was, but that lake stays pretty consistently cold (right around 48 most of last summer from what I remember)

troutdude
troutdude
Where Oak Grove Fork flows into the lake, a dude did well last year with dries that had white and red colors.

Another OFFer used to do well, with Muddlers. There are indeed sculpins, in there.

Good luck.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Try fishing below the film with nymphs. I do it under an indicator with good success.

M
Mutiny
Harriet Lake mystery hatch

jamisonace said:
Try fishing below the film with nymphs. I do it under an indicator with good success.

That is kinda the direction I was thinking. How do you rig your fly/leader/indicator to fish nymphs like that?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I generally do two nymphs and I'll adjust the length of the line under the indicator. Try dead drifting, swinging, twitching and stripping til you get biters.

Mutiny said:
That is kinda the direction I was thinking. How do you rig your fly/leader/indicator to fish nymphs like that?

F
furflinger
I've had a lot of success with a clear int. Line- 5lb flora carbon 5ft long with a brown size 8 Stillwater nymph and a Marabou p.t. Nymph on a 4lb flouracarbon dropper around 6-7 inches-
7aeed6a3fea024c6ac2c987ed3230bd3.jpg5a9316043c4120c0482bfb533e5ad7f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Admin
M
Mutiny
I have been very successful fishing subsurface up there, just not when this evening hatch happens. I've been tying some midge emergers, I'll give those a shot next time.

L
Lancep51
I haven't posted on this forum since before the Army about 4 years ago, and even had to create a new account. When I was 17-19 years old I used to fly fish Harriet Lake, Oak Grove fork, Shell Rock creek and even walked into shellrock lake all the time. That area was my bread and butter of my senor year of highschool and freshman year of college. I think that area meant so much to me was because my great grandfather and also grandfather worked for PGE and the history of PGE spans from post WW1 to the early 70's, in which they fly fished all waters near Three Lynx and even lived in town for the winter. I will return this spring to the area to fly fish my heart out after the army and I cannot wait. From what I can remember I always had huge luck with orange and yellow stimulators, but the classic fly from the stories of my grandfather about harriet late and also the oak grove fork is Royal Coachmen from size 14 to 20. So those two flies would be something to try and see what you can get into especially on water in that area. Plus from the great stories my grandfather told me that my great grandfather use to catch Coho in Three Lynx creek below the town. Supposedly there is Coho where the creek meets the Clackamas but I haven't seen any before.

troutdude
troutdude
Pretty sure the fellow that I mentioned, was using Coachmen (or some similar variant). He got 1 bow and 4 browns that day; all around 14". Thanks for ID'ing that fly--it was very productive!

Admin
Admin
Lancep51;n600711 said:
I haven't posted on this forum since before the Army about 4 years ago, and even had to create a new account.

Welcome back. What was you previous username? Do you want to use your previous account?

L
Lancep51
troutdude;n600719 said:
Pretty sure the fellow that I mentioned, was using Coachmen (or some similar variant). He got 1 bow and 4 browns that day; all around 14". Thanks for ID'ing that fly--it was very productive!

Well it could have been a Royal Coachman or possibly a Royal Wulff but both are just amazing for Harriet Lake and the Oak Grove Fork. Anybody fish Shellrock creek in the past year or so? another question is does the Oak Grove Fork have Lahontan Cutthroat? a few years ago I caught a few what seemed to be Lahontan Cutthroat but I could be mistaken.

L
Lancep51
Anatoliy;n600727 said:
Welcome back. What was you previous username? Do you want to use your previous account?

Thank you, but I was mistaken for Ifish forum. I had an account from them but never from this forum for some odd reason.