The truth about carp- 19 minute video

B
bubs
Good post. I really like this particular youtuber and encourage folks to check out some of his other videos.

I think his points are pretty solid and he presents information articulately - it's a good video. It also relates to similar problems I have with people who decide that a particular fish or fishery is "trash." A lot of people talk trash without having any idea of the facts or the bigger picture or the biology of the fish.

All that said, I think there are a few things to consider in our local context (in my case the Portland area) that he doesn't really get at. First, I can't think of a carp fishery near me where I would even THINK about eating them due to pollution. Second, common carp have had a very destructive impact on certain plant species locally, namely wapato. Used to literally carpet entire regions of wetland (and be an important food source to Native Americans) but now is quite hard to find. Thanks carp!

Reactions: Ikijime
Ikijime
Ikijime
Thanks for the thoughtful reaction, bubs!

Yeah, I know that the ODFW stance on carp is negative. I've heard a variety of answers as to which type of carp species we have here, and have also heard that they are destructive to the vegetation in our systems.

Where else do I know the name, "Wapato" from? Was that an indigenous tribe here that the plant species (that you mentioned) was named after? Was it a language that was spoken here?

I also saw a video that described how to fillet the carp around the "Y" bone, which would make a relatively boneless chunk of fish to fry. When I get some time, I'll see if it's already been posted and see if I can find it on Youtube. Since carp are invasive and considered by many to be problematic, it'd be an excellent source of food, once one knows how to prepare it.

troutdude
troutdude
Yup. A tribal member, of the Yakima Nation.

Reactions: Ikijime
B
bubs
I definitely agree that it could be good prepared the right way (though I've still yet to try, anywhere that I've lived), but pollution levels are so high in the places around here where I catch them I would be wary. I've seen people harvest them from the Willamette, the Gilbert, and the Tualatin but man, I don't know about eating bottom feeders from those waterways.

Ikijime
Ikijime
Bubs, that's another point that I hear from people who harvest Carp- they're particular about water quality that their fish come from. Thanks for bringing that up!

Troutdude, cool to know that about you!