Steelhead Country preview

K
killigan
Heard about this on Northwest Wild Country today and thought I would share.

troutdude
troutdude
Plundered and pillaged, by mankind. Aided by those, in "management roles", who think that they can out smart our Creator. An awful combination. Is steelhead angling closed, on those streams? If not, it should be. Until the runs are healthy enough, to again support a small harvest. Eventually leading, to larger harvests.

Reactions: Troutski
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks for sharing Killigan. I haven't been fishing long enough to remember the 'glory' days. Hopefully things get turned around.

hobster
hobster
That was interesting, thanks for sharing Brandon. Kind of depressing, at least now we are more aware of harvesting wild fish. Herzog was pretty passionate, I like him even more now. Looking forward to that series.

S
Stonefish
troutdude;n598258 said:
Plundered and pillaged, by mankind. Aided by those, in "management roles", who think that they can out smart our Creator. An awful combination. Is steelhead angling closed, on those streams? If not, it should be. Until the runs are healthy enough, to again support a small harvest. Eventually leading, to larger harvests.

Caught my first steelhead on the Puyallup in 1968. I'm one who took place in the plunder and pillaging, if you'd call it that.
I believe it was more like folks didn't know any better at the time and never thought it would end.
I think anyone who has fished for steelhead long enough killed wild fish before it was recognized that it wasn't a good thing. It was a different time back then and people are better educated on the value of wild steelhead.

Puget Sound streams receive very few hatchery plants any more and most are closed to fishing by the time the first wild fish hit the river.
SF