Baitcasting in tight areas

L
Luis Dominguez
So I'm new to using baitcasters. And I'm new to bass fishing. I was wondering how some of you guys cast your baitcaster when in a tight areas, trees up and around you, logs next to you, etc. Is a there a certain underhand cast I can do? I know about flipping and pitching, but thats more for closer casts. I want a far cast from a tight area.

M
Mattyonthebass
I preload like a slingshot then release and whip at the same time. It's like flipping but exaggerated. It takes some practice to get it right but it works. The other thing I do if I have a little more space is a roll cast. Roll casting can be really hard to get the timing right but is very effective to get distance in cover. You start with your lure or whatever you are fishing with about a 12"-18" from the rod tip and hold it kinda close to the water. Then you make a circle swinging your bait till it comes around and release so that it has a slight rise in flight. It's all about practice and lots of bird nests lol

L
Luis Dominguez
Mattyonthebass;n602311 said:
I preload like a slingshot then release and whip at the same time. It's like flipping but exaggerated. It takes some practice to get it right but it works. The other thing I do if I have a little more space is a roll cast. Roll casting can be really hard to get the timing right but is very effective to get distance in cover. You start with your lure or whatever you are fishing with about a 12"-18" from the rod tip and hold it kinda close to the water. Then you make a circle swinging your bait till it comes around and release so that it has a slight rise in flight. It's all about practice and lots of bird nests lol

thanks for the help! I'm used to bird nests lol. And I'll look up thos techniques on youtube, maybe I can find a video of them.

C_Run
C_Run
Maybe practice lawn casting before committing expensive lures.

G
Gulfstream
you also can reduce the backlash's by adjusting the spool speed.Usually on the right side by the handle crank there is a knob.Tie on your lure and put it in freespool.The lure should drop at a mid speed pace. adjust tension accordingly.Helps lots!:)

L
Luis Dominguez
Gulfstream;n602504 said:
you also can reduce the backlash's by adjusting the spool speed.Usually on the right side by the handle crank there is a knob.Tie on your lure and put it in freespool.The lure should drop at a mid speed pace. adjust tension accordingly.Helps lots!:)

I read this too! I try and do it but dont know if I'm doing it correctly

D
DonF
I figured out how to do that fishing the John day where there was just to much brush. Reel in most the line, leave 6" or so handing down to the lure. Hould the rod straight up and spin the lure in a circle loaning up the rod. Get it loaded pretty welland simply let it go! Works pretty well for me.