Lure tangling

L
Luis Dominguez
Hey guys I'm new to this site. From Troutdale Oregon. I need help figuring out why my rooster tail ALWAYS gets tangled to my fishing line when I cast it. I cast it, but I don't feel the vibration I'm supposed to feel, then when it comes close, I see that the hook part is tangled to my line so it wasn't fluttering like it's supposed to. What do you guys do?

P
pinstriper
Try a heavier roostertail, or lighter line.

L
Luis Dominguez
I've got an 8lb test now, I'd be worried to go any lower. And I've read that tying a swivel at the end of my main line would keep the line from tangling. What do you think?

Admin
Admin
Luis Dominguez;n600842 said:
I've got an 8lb test now

what reel & rod do you use?

Luis Dominguez;n600842 said:
a swivel at the end of my main line would keep the line from tangling

from twisting, I guess

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I use a barrel lock swivel so I can quickly change lures. I'm sure it helps with line twist as well.

P
pinstriper
Ya but this isn't line twist. He says his hook fouls the line when he casts. I think the line is catching up with the lure in flight, and that wouldn't happen if the lure was heavier (or the line was lighter).

Light lures need light line.

OP, what weight of lure are you throwing ?

L
Luis Dominguez
5 and 6 gram lures, on an 8lb test. Rod is size 6'6. Yeah Pinstriper that's exactly what i mean. The hook part ends up getting caught on my main line. Thanks for the help so far guys

P
pinstriper
Luis Dominguez said:
5 and 6 gram lures, on an 8lb test. Rod is size 6'6. Yeah Pinstriper that's exactly what i mean. The hook part ends up getting caught on my main line. Thanks for the help so far guys

Grams ? I don't do grams. Are these 1/16 oz ? 1/8 ? 3/16 ? Etc.

Admin
Admin
Luis Dominguez;n600878 said:
5 and 6 gram lures, on an 8lb test. Rod is size 6'6.

What is rod test? (it's written on a rod) May be your rod designed for throwing hevier weights.

C
chrome_magnum
Are you using a swivel?

L
Luis Dominguez
pinstriper;n600879 said:
Grams ? I don't do grams. Are these 1/16 oz ? 1/8 ? 3/16 ? Etc.

3/16

L
Luis Dominguez
chrome_magnum;n600881 said:
Are you using a swivel?

Yes, I just started to the day that I asked the question. It's helped with the 3/16 size rooster tails but the 1/8 spoons and tails still get caught on the line

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Are you using the same size of a swivel for both lure sizes? That might help if you match the swivel to the lure size. Also depending on how long you have been casting your lures without a swivel, your line could be really twisted which would mess with the smaller lures.

B
billfisher
It's the weight in front of your lure.

D
DrTheopolis
If you running a weight above the lure, the problem won't go away... bad technique. Go to a heavier spinner. 1/4oz is awfully light for this time of year. In that style spinner, I prefer the Bangtail (basically the new, improved Rooster Tail), but I'll take a Bud's #5 over any of them. Save the small stuff for summer.

Another problem I see, particularly with newer hardware tossers, is a lot of people have way too much line between the end of the rod and the lure. First, it's a hazard to yourself and others. Next, it's not nearly as accurate, and the rod doesn't load up as much, so it doesn't go as far. Also... it results in the hook hanging up on the line. I usually keep that distance around 4".

L
Luis Dominguez
A lot of good input guys, thanks! I'll try your ideas out

D
DrTheopolis
DrTheopolis;n601164 said:
Another problem I see, particularly with newer hardware tossers, is a lot of people have way too much line between the end of the rod and the lure. First, it's a hazard to yourself and others. Next, it's not nearly as accurate, and the rod doesn't load up as much, so it doesn't go as far. Also... it results in the hook hanging up on the line. I usually keep that distance around 4".

Upon further review, I wasn't clear. The above applies when casting.