Bait casting problems (not backlash)

L
londonasc
Hello everyone! Im brand new to this site and brand new to bait casting. I have already figured out how to avoid backlash but am having other problems and was hoping you all could provide some advice. I only have this problem when using a floater but when I cast, I seem to lose all line tension and my line slowly settles onto the top of the water instead of staying taught. If I try and reel some of the line in, my floater just comes too close to shore and then the line settles into the water again. Sorry if I seem dumb as im so new to baitcasting but I would definitely love some advice. Thank you!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
what length rod are you using?

L
londonasc
6' 8"

P
pinstriper
Moving water or still ? Fixed bobber or sliding ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L
londonasc
still water with a fixed bobber.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
londonasc;n599752 said:
still water with a fixed bobber.

in that case I would think you don't need the line taught, just not a bunch of slack, when the bobber goes under, set the hook. in moving water you would probably want a longer rod so as to effectively mend the line (keep it above the water)...

Reactions: Slo and pinstriper
L
londonasc
that's fair but the line sits on top of the water leading up to the bobber. like literally on top of the water.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
londonasc;n599754 said:
that's fair but the line sits on top of the water leading up to the bobber. like literally on top of the water.

that is correct. why would that be a concern in still water?

L
londonasc
if that's not an issue then that's great. It just seems like something isn't right to have that line in the water but if that's all good then great. I don't know, it just seems not right.

troutdude
troutdude
Why a casting reel, in stillwater? If you're still fishing, then a spinning rod n' reel is a lot easier to cast (and you'll get greater distance too, to get out to deeper water as needed).

P
pinstriper
rogerdodger;n599753 said:
in that case I would think you don't need the line taught, just not a bunch of slack, when the bobber goes under, set the hook. in moving water you would probably want a longer rod so as to effectively mend the line (keep it above the water)...

That's where I was headed.

G
Gulfstream
unless you are using a fair amount of weight under the bobber,you will have some slack regardless

M
magbaylodge
You must use the proper length of the road and the accurate amount of weight should be used under the bobber. I think it may sole your Bait casting problem.

D
DonF
londonasc said:
if that's not an issue then that's great. It just seems like something isn't right to have that line in the water but if that's all good then great. I don't know, it just seems not right.
If your using a bobber and don't have a weight holding the line on bottom it would seem to me the line will always be slack on top. Take the slacp out and you'll move the bobber toward you! Casting reels simply aren't for everyone. My son can cast somewhat with them but much prefers a spinning reel. Unless I'm fishing for crappie, I use casting reels. There's a limit to how light a weight you can cast with a casting reel, pretty much not so with spinning reels.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds like a weight issue if I'm understanding your problem. How much weight is the bobber rated for and how much weight are your using with it?